Which type of crucifix do you have?

• Thread starter Thread starter huskerfan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our family crucifix was passed on to me by my grandmother it was a wedding gift from her parents who also receivied it as a wedding gift. It’s over 100 years old and very special to me. :love: The cross is dark wood, the Jesus is made of some kind of hard ivory -color composite material. (much like the material used for composite dolls. The cross is about 18" tall. He has a slight crack on one ankle but otherwise is in very good conditionI have no real objection to the crucifix of the risen Christ, but think that the traditional cross is a visual reminder of the painful sacrifice that Jesus made for us out of love.

When we were stationed in Florida it was one of the things I packed up with our photographs to take every time we evacuated for hurricanes… thank God we don’t need to do that anymore.

I also wear the Papal crucifix - always.
MIL ordered, from Italy, my most beautiful wall crucifix with an extremely full dimensional, life like figure of Christ. It is my prized possession.

My favorite is one my dad bought me for my birthday several years ago. It has the crucified Jesus. I don’t mind the ressurected Jesus for home or private use if that appeals to you . I really dont like it above the alter in church though!

Can anyone possibly post a picture of a cross with the risen Christ? Or is that simply a metaphor for an ‘empty cross’? :confused:

40.png
need_to_know:
Can anyone possibly post a picture of a cross with the risen Christ? Or is that simply a metaphor for an ‘empty cross’? :confused:
I presume most folk are referring to something like this:
Risen Christ Crucifix

Where does the San Damiano Crucifix fall on people’s spectra of crucified-Christ/risen-Christ crucifixen? I know it is an icon painting, not sculpture, but it is difficult for me to tell if Christ is depicted being crucified or post-crucifixion? He is certainly depicted with weeping wounds, but also with atypically(?) separated feet and without agony.

tee

40.png
need_to_know:
I was thinking the same thing… I’ve never seen a “Risen Christ” Cross before, let alone heard of it…

The closet I’ve seen to the picture tee_ef_em posted is a crucified Christ with little expression and seems to be very stiff.

I actually prefer the crucified christ, as I can better remember hoe he suffered for me. it makes most of my problems seem small when I think on his sacrifice

40.png
weddy:
I actually prefer the crucified christ, as I can better remember hoe he suffered for me. it makes most of my problems seem small when I think on his sacrifice
I agree.

We have several crucifixes in our home, most, but not all, of the crucified Christ.

In response to crucifixes of the risen Christ, art traditions of pre-Gothic times portrayed Christ in glory on the cross, not in agony.

Crucifixes are a form of art and are remininciant of the time they are created and of the artist interpretation and vision. Keep in mind the historical record indicates Jesus was crucified on a T-shaped cross (a Tau cross) not as is typically shown on a Latin cross. The earliest art does show a Tau cross, but later artist did not think there would be room for the sign on a cross of this shape.

In regards to the placement of the feet, while Jesus is typically shown with his right foot over his left, many scholars believes it was easier to nail both feet independently and there is evidence to support this.

The details are secondary to the message of salvation the crucifix represents.

George

I purchased a San Damiano crucifix earlier this month at the Cathedral of St. Francis in Assisi. Needless to say, this will take a prominent place in our home.

All of the Crucifix that I own are the Crucified Christ. I have a Silver one and a Gold one that I wear and the 3 on the walls in my home. I bought my Godson a San Damiano Crucifix for his First Holy Communion to wear.

40.png
weddy:
Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent.
-St. John of the Cross

I have some of the Crucified Christ, and one of the Risen Christ, which I wish I hadn’t obtained.

Should I have it “altered” to make the Corpus look crucified?(The crucifix is made out of brass of bronze, I think.)

NanS - we’ve got one like that too, actually, it’s about five inches tall and sitting on top of the TV.

All my crosses are of the crucified God. However behind the altar at my parish is the Cross of the Risen Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back