There is such a complete lack of reverence at Holy Mass, but it is probably due to lack of teaching rather than a desire to offend the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, really present, body, blood, soul and divinity in Holy Communion.
I have seen people receiving Holy Communion with gum in their mouths; The Host scooped up from the hand directly into the mouth, rather than reverently being transferred from one 'cradled" palm to the other hand, and so to the mouth;
This in fact seems to be taught in other cultures as the way to avoid handling the Host. The people I’ve seen receive this way put many of us to shame with their reverence and devotion. I don’t for a moment think they are lacking reverence but rather doing what they were taught was the reverent way to do it – and whose to say that in their culture it wasn’t.
We are supposed, when waiting to receive the Sacred Species, to either bow or genuflect, behind the person in front, as a gesture of reverence. Many people do not make any thanksgiving afterwards. In fact, if only the choir would NOT sing during the distribution of Holy Communion, we would have some quiet time for reflection and thanksgiving.
But the Church asks the choir to sing, starting while the priest receives and continuing until everyone has received.
Beautiful, quiet organ music would be most beneficial to thanksgiving.
I have nothing against that except that it’s not what the Church asks for.