Who's your favorite?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cephas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cephas

Which one of these Early church Fathers really impresses you?

Augustine all the way!

St. John Chrysostom of course!
As a Byzantine Catholic, he really ‘laided down the law" so to speak when it came to his orthodox style of homilies. His Divine Liturgy is what we used almost every Sunday (except for Lent we use the Liturgy of St. Basil the Great).
Ol’ ‘Golden Mouth’ really was golden in his wisdom, expression and even wit.

Some quotes from St. John Chrysostom:
“One not must trust one’s feelings, since because of his limitedness a man cannot know everything, and therefore his judgment is also relatively limited. “Even if you see with your own eyes that someone sins do not judge, for the eyes also may be deceived.”

“As for you my beloved, if you sit at table, remember that from the table you must go to prayer. Fill your belly so moderately that you may not become too heavy to bend your knees and call upon your God.”

“Let us labor for a little time, that we may have rest forever. We must at all events be afflicted. If we are not afflicted here, it awaits us there. Why choose we not to be afflicted here that there we may have rest, and obtain the unspeakable blessings, in Christ Jesus?”

Go with God!
Edwin

Of these choices? St. Augustine, no doubt. I just finished listening to his Confessions on audio, and despite the archaic language in the translation, I thought I was listening to a fellow in the next cubicle – his struggle with sins of the flesh, his dabbling in Gnostic sects, his awareness of his unworthiness before God.

It’s all there.

St. Athanasius–takes a lot of courage to remain true when it seems like everyone else around you is going the wrong way (and you keep getting thrown off into exile). Arianism came terribly close to overcoming the Church (raw numbers), and St. Athanasius was definitely a major part of the right answer ultimately prevailing.

St. Augustine rocks, he is a beacon of hope that people can turn away from sinful lives and remain faithful to the Gospel.

40.png
Melissa:
St. Athanasius–takes a lot of courage to remain true when it seems like everyone else around you is going the wrong way (and you keep getting thrown off into exile). Arianism came terribly close to overcoming the Church (raw numbers), and St. Athanasius was definitely a major part of the right answer ultimately prevailing.
Exactly!

I have to say, ST Justin Martyr. Without his writings, explaining how we celebrate mass today is how it was celebrated by the earliest of Christians would be difficult.

Augustine gets the nod for so many reasons, but the best, for me, is as a sinner, he has “been there”, if you know what I mean. He is unabashed about his sinfullness, and usabashed about his relief in salvation.

Go St. Ignatius of Antioch. I really wish I took my confirmation name from this Ignatius rather than the founder of the Jesuits, not out of any disregard for him, but I don’t have a high opinion of the Society of Jesus today.

If Irenaeus was on the list, I would certainly pick him. From the list, I’d pick St. Augustine. He really is a role model for our modern era.

St. Augustine had a great struggle to conversion. Great inspiration for most people who are in the same boat.

St. Ignatius of Antioch was my choice. He was not as voluminous as some of the other Church fathers listed, but is among the earliest and was the first to refer to the Church as the Catholic Church.

My vote goes to Athanasius, who, by the grace of God (1+God=A majority) essentially defeated Arianism despite overwhelming rejection from other Catholic bishops.

Let’s see:

City of God and Aquinas’ Summa are two of the greatest works of philosophy ever written. Throw Augustine’s Confessions into the mix, and it’s pretty difficult to choose someone else from that list.

However, Athanasius rocks…

Augustine rocks! The others aren’t too shabby either!😉 Confessions is great, but I need a better translation of it. Book 9 about his mother had a big effect on me.

Augustine - he’s our hope for real people with real temptations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back