Why be Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PauseBreak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PauseBreak

Guest
I have been studying the Catholic Church and their is some things thats keeping from the Church.

1.The Mass has become way to Protestant.

2.The last Pope Kissing the Quran as a former Muslim this makes me sick and is a slap in the face of Jesus Christ in my view. (With all due Respect)

3.Vestments look Protestant this may seem small to every one here but this just like the Mass shows how bad Catholics are trying to be Protestant light.

4.Bad Protestant Music at the Mass if I want Pentecostal Music I will go to their Church and, whats up with all the hand holding and waving. I have a Panic disorder so people grabing my hand could make me go into a panic attack and pass out.

5.Saying the Muslims believe in the same God as Christians like I said I was Muslim (Salafi)

Laa a’ abudu maa ta’ abuduun
I worship not that which you worship

W alaa antum’ aabiduuna maa a’ abud
Nor will you worship that which I worship

Suuratul Kaafiruun chapter 109 Qu’ran

Well this is a small list but I have more.
 
Because it seems very Lutheran and Protestant to me unlike the tridentine Mass I can see why the SSPX don’t like the NO Mass, And whats up with the Priest facing the people?

When you go to a Tridentine Mass you know your at a Catholic Church.
 
Because it seems very Lutheran and Protestant to me unlike the tridentine Mass I can see why the SSPX don’t like the NO Mass, And whats up with the Priest facing the people?

When you go to a Tridentine Mass you know your at a Catholic Church.
Don’t let the NO Mass stop you from joining the Catholic Church.
Just find a church near you that celebrates the Tridentine Mass.
Many cradle Catholics too are like you and still like the Tridentine Mass.
 
What’s critical is whether the Catholic Church’s claim to be the Church Christ founded is true.

It’s *not *about the aesthetics of how Mass is celebrated in certain areas, or the mistakes of the Church’s leaders, or the quality of vestments or music.

If the Catholic Church’s claim about herself is true, and you believe in the claims of Christ, then there is no reason to stay away from the Catholic Church-- despite ugly vestments, scandals and Pentacostalist hand-holding.

If the Catholic Church’s claim about herself is false– if the Church of Christ does not subsist in the Catholic Church-- then what matter does it make what music is played at Mass?

You did raise an important issue on what does the Catholic Church claim about Muslims and God, but that can be addressed later.

The first thing you must ask is the most important one:

Is the Catholic Church who she claims to be?
 
If the Catholic Church’s claim about herself is true, and you believe in the claims of Christ, then there is no reason to stay away from the Catholic Church-- despite ugly vestments, scandals and Pentacostalist hand-holding.

If the Mass don’t show Respect for Jesus this shows me alot about the Church. I’m just not sure the true Church would keep letting all of this go on. Does the true Church need Protestant Music hand holding/waving and Vestments the Orthodox don’t seem to.
 
PauseBreak, it is merely your personal opinion that the mass shows no respect for Jesus because of music, etc.

There are many others who feel that the modern music and practices show great respect to Jesus.

Sometimes these people find classical style music lifeless, while they find modern music more glorifying to God.

I personally prefer classical music, chants, etc., but I know many devout Christians who prefer folk, rock, or even more modern music styles to express their praise to God.

As for physical practices, e.g., handholding, these are personal preferences. Some people prefer a touch from others to communicate God’s love and the communion of saints. Others (and I’m one of them) do not like to be touched by people that I don’t know.

As Vincent has said, if we believe that the Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus established and that it speaks with His authority, then we must accept that Vatican II spoke for Jesus when it allowed for changes in the mass. We may not like those changes personally, but as another poster said, there are still masses around that use the older forms and music. I’m very grateful that the Church allows for so many ways of celebrating mass, even though the liturgy is the same.
 
PauseBreak, it is merely your personal opinion that the mass shows no respect for Jesus because of music, etc.

Yeah its my view and alot of other peoples.

There are many others who feel that the modern music and practices show great respect to Jesus.

Good for them but I disagree its my view that Jimi Hendrix Guitar Solos in Mass in Disrespect but hey thats just me 😉

As for physical practices, e.g., handholding, these are personal preferences. Some people prefer a touch from others

to communicate God’s love and the communion of saints. Others (and I’m one of them) do not like to be touched by people that I don’t know.

Its more then just not liking being touched I have a panic disorder.

As Vincent has said, if we believe that the Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus established and that it speaks with His authority, then we must accept that Vatican II spoke for Jesus when it allowed for changes in the mass.

Guess when it comes down to it I don’t believe the Catholic Church is the true Church if it was it would not need to take all the Protestant stuff. The Catholic Church is about 10 Steps away from Lutheranism I’m sure one day it will be all the way their.

there are still masses around that use the older forms and music. I’m very grateful that the Church allows for so many ways of celebrating mass, even though the liturgy is the same.

Yeah if your lucky very sad you must be lucky to find a Traditonal Church. The truth is the thing your greatfull for is the same thing thats hurting the Catholic Church this freedom in the NO Mass is why Catholics must Mass Hunt because you never know what your in for at a NO unlike the Tridentine Mass that don’t have the freedom of the NO so you know what your going to get every time.
 
Have you ever experienced the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Church?
 
Don’t let the NO Mass stop you from joining the Catholic Church.
Just find a church near you that celebrates the Tridentine Mass.
Many cradle Catholics too are like you and still like the Tridentine Mass.
  1. I second this. I attend the Traditional Latin Mass and it is quiet and reverant. Rosary is prayed before Mass every Sunday.
  2. Well, John Paul II was the king of ecumenicism. I personally don’t like the fact that he did that either, but please don’t let that be a stumbling block. Even the Pope is human, he makes mistakes and does things he probably should not have.
  3. Once again, attend the Traditional Mass. You will never see a Protestant in some of these.
    paxhouse.com/vestments.html
  4. At the TLM, there is no hand holding nor touching. We only have an organ, so hymns like “Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silence” and “Salve Regina” are common. There are some Novus Ordo churches out there with good taste in music as well.
  5. I have never been Muslim, so I cannot comment too much on this one. However, if the Muslims claim to worship the God of Abraham, they do indeed worship the one true God. Thier view of Him is QUITE distorted though.
So before you throw in the towel, please find a Traditional Latin Mass indult parish in your area. It is SO Catholic in there you won’t know what to do with yourself. (Besides rejoice).
 
Guess when it comes down to it I don’t believe the Catholic Church is the true Church if it was it would not need to take all the Protestant stuff. The Catholic Church is about 10 Steps away from Lutheranism I’m sure one day it will be all the way their.
No, it won’t. The “gates of hell will not prevail.” I know they LOOK like they are getting pretty darn close to prevailing, but God pretects His Church. It always looks bad in the years after a council, it will swing back around. At least the Arians are not kicking us out of our own churches. The Christians then had to worship in the desert because heretics took the churches over by force.
Yeah if your lucky very sad you must be lucky to find a Traditonal Church. The truth is the thing your greatfull for is the same thing thats hurting the Catholic Church this freedom in the NO Mass is why Catholics must Mass Hunt because you never know what your in for at a NO unlike the Tridentine Mass that don’t have the freedom of the NO so you know what your going to get every time.
Well, I can’t disagree with that statement. But please have hope. It is still the Church founded by Jesus Christ Himself. It will be alright. Just pray for those people whom are distorting things to their own whim.
 
Have you ever experienced the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Church?
I have not been to a Orthodox Divine Liturgy yet but I would like to some time. I have been thinking of picking up some more books on the Orthodox Church.

The only TLM we have here is at the SSPX chapel.
 
Pauebreak:

1.The Mass has become way to Protestant.

It has certainly changed since Vatican two. But there are simple masses and high masses. Some high masses also use latin. No Protestant service I have ever attended used latin.

2.The last Pope Kissing the Quran as a former Muslim this makes me sick and is a slap in the face of Jesus Christ in my view. (With all due Respect)

We may never know in our lifetime the significance of that act but you may be assured that by kissing the Quran, His late Holiness John Paul II was acting under the influence of the Holy Spirit.

3.Vestments look Protestant this may seem small to every one here but this just like the Mass shows how bad Catholics are trying to be Protestant light.

I love my Protestant sisters and brothers. But ‘no way hosea’ am I trying to be Protestant. I had to smile when I read that.

4.Bad Protestant Music at the Mass.

In our local Church we do not have a resident minstrel so we sing unaccompanied and we ‘raise the roof’. Put most Catholis to shame. The congregation sing so loud, one cannot hear oneself singing 🙂

5.Saying the Muslims believe in the same God as Christians like I said I was Muslim (Salafi)

My understanding of what is being said is that 'there is but ONE God not many.
 
We may never know in our lifetime the significance of that act but you may be assured that by kissing the Quran, His late Holiness John Paul II was acting under the influence of the Holy Spirit.

I disagree I don’t think he was acting under the Holy Spirit.
 
Hello,
Have you ever experienced the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Church?
I have not been to a Orthodox Divine Liturgy yet but I would like to some time. I have been thinking of picking up some more books on the Orthodox Church.

The only TLM we have here is at the SSPX chapel.
Yes, you may very much like the Eastern Rites.

Being a former Muslim, you may find a home in the Syrian Catholic, Chaldean, or Maronite Church. These are Catholic Churches, but celebrate a Syriac Liturgy and enjoy an Eastern theology. It goes well with the Middle Eastern culture and viewpoints.
 
These are Catholic Churches, but celebrate a Syriac Liturgy and enjoy an Eastern theology. It goes well with the Middle Eastern culture and viewpoints.
I have a lot of respect for Orthodoxy. I must agree with you. I think Orthodoxy has a lot ot offer in the middle east.

Best wishes on your journey 👍
 
I have been studying the Catholic Church and their is some things thats keeping from the Church.
God bless you on your journey, PauseBreak. Prayer, study, patience. Lean on the everlasting arms of Jesus, and He will guide you.

Try different Catholic parishes. Unfortunately, they are not all the same. Some are not very well operated. One is not obligated to go to the parish nearest his home.
 
As far as the Pope kissing the Quran I found this piece very helpful in understanding this

I still don’t understand its out right disrespect for christ in my view to kiss this book. (With all due Respect)

Try different Catholic parishes. Unfortunately, they are not all the same. Some are not very well operated. One is not obligated to go to the parish nearest his home.

The first Catholic Church I went to was the SSPX Chapel I did not know the SSPX was in schism til a friend of mine told me so I went to a NO Mass and wow what a mess it was.

At the SSPX Chapel all I seen was respect and deep love for Christ infact when I left I was not the same thats for sure.

What I seen at the NO Mass was just sad to me the people did not show any respect the music was loud and just plain bad and I still don’t get why the Preist has to face the people?

Well when I can I’m going to go to a Divine Liturgy at the OCA parish, but I think I fell in love with the TLM 🙂

I would like to say all that I have said is in love and all respect to everyone here.
 
I have a lot of respect for Orthodoxy. I must agree with you. I think Orthodoxy has a lot ot offer in the middle east.

Best wishes on your journey 👍
Actually, JMJ_coder was referring to the Eastern Rite churches in union with Rome, not the Eastern Orthodox Churches.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top