Why communion in the hand(what is the motivation?)

• Thread starter Thread starter scylla
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is no reason to put down the indult that is in place.
How am I putting it down? By pointing out that it allows places which were already in violation of Church law to get approval for the practice instead of revert to the legal practice? That’s the indult’s loophole, if you will.

How am I putting it down? By pointing out that it allows places which were already in violation of Church law to get approval for the practice instead of revert to the legal practice? That’s the indult’s loophole, if you will.
It is a current indult - it was not drafted by idiots and not approved by a fool.

You can disagree with the appropriateness etc but painting it as nothing but disobedience is wrong.

But there is doubt.

The Last Supper
But surely the apostles received Communion in the hand at the last supper? It is usually presumed that this was so. Even if it were, though, we would point out that the apostles were themselves priests, or even, bishops.

But we must not forget a traditional practice of middle-eastern hospitality, which was practiced in Jesus’ time and which is still the case: one feeds one’s guests with one’s own hand, placing a symbolic morsel in the mouth of the guest. And we have scriptural evidence of this as well: our Lord dipped a morsel of bread into some wine, and gave it to Judas. Did he place this wet morsel into Judas’s hand? That would be rather messy. Did he not perhaps extend to the one whom he addressed later in the garden as “Friend” the gesture of hospitality spoken of above? And if so, why not with Holy Communion, “giving himself by his own hand.”
catholic-pages.com/mass/inhand.asp
This is why I said “although you sometimes hear it expressed.” I’m not saying that the fact that the Apostles took the consecrated bread in their hands at the Last Supper means we have to have communion in the hand. But I think the idea that Christ fed it to them is a modern invention, and invented to support a particular argument and score debating points. The Scripture doesn’t support the idea. It says He broke the bread and gave it to His disciples. He then gave them the cup. If he fed them by His hand why wouldn’t that be mentioned, adn why wouldn’t the early Church have known that and imitated it?

It is a current indult - it was not drafted by idiots and not approved by a fool. You can disagree with the appropriateness etc but painting it as nothing but disobedience is wrong.
I think you still misunderstand my position on the matter. What I am “painting … as … disobedience” are the actions of people who, before the indult was granted to their diocese/conference: a) forbade or denigrated Communion on the tongue, b) falsely claimed that Communion on the tongue was outlawed, c) falsely claimed that the illegal practice was already permitted, d) willfully engaged in the illegal practice, e) introduced the illegal practice so as to abuse the “grandfather clause” of the indult, or f) forced people to receive in the illegal manner.

That is my case.

I think you still misunderstand my position on the matter. What I am “painting … as … disobedience” are the actions of people who, before the indult was granted to their diocese/conference: a) forbade or denigrated Communion on the tongue, b) falsely claimed that Communion on the tongue was outlawed, c) falsely claimed that the illegal practice was already permitted, d) willfully engaged in the illegal practice, e) introduced the illegal practice so as to abuse the “grandfather clause” of the indult, or f) forced people to receive in the illegal manner.

That is my case.
Which you bring up over and over and over again WHILE avoiding that it has long since been resolved and the indult has been in place for several decades. It is all one side and always negative.

If he fed them by His hand why wouldn’t that be mentioned, and why wouldn’t the early Church have known that and imitated it?
I’m not taking sides on the particular issue of whether or not Jesus hand-fed the Apostles, but perhaps, in answer to your last question, the specifics were lost on non-Jewish Christians who had no familiarity with the custom nor the Passover.

Which you bring up over and over and over again WHILE avoiding that it has long since been resolved and the indult has been in place for several decades. It is all one side and always negative.
I brought it up in response to someone’s story about her mother being taught incorrectly; it seemed rather apropos at the time.

Thank you Palmas, japhy, wow, etc for answering honestly and contributing positively to this thread.

If anyone else would like to contribute about the motivations to their actions in receiving, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scylla
I do receive on the tongue, in the parish we attend now. However, in the parish we belonged to for many years, NO one, literally not one person, during the 10 yrs. we went to Mass there received on the tongue. I understand the poster who replied to your question by saying that he didn’t want to receive in the hand but did so because that was the custom in his parish…for it was the same with me. This is not a great reason, but it’s my reason for receiving in the hand for 10 yrs. THANK YOU Pope Benedict…for the Latin Mass we now attend. Everyone receives on the tongue. I do believe that this is the best way for me, at least. Since both forms are “legal”, people are free to choose (in most parishes) however they want.

I really don’t understand why anyone resents your question. I know that it made me search for my own motivation & that’s always a good thing.

These were bound to have their detractors no matter what because they were a change.
Not really. When these changes were made, most of us accepted them without a problem…why wouldn’t we? Before the abuses that can be directly attributed, not to Vat. II, but to those who used the “spirit of Vat. II” to promote their own agendas…the Catholic Church had always provided a beautiful & solemn liturgy. Why would anyone who had grown up in this atmosphere expect anything else than continued reverence & holiness from a Catholic Mass. It wasn’t until years later that most of us who don’t care for dancing scarves/holding hands/watching 8 EMs. troop to the altar to serve the Eucharist to 300 people, began to realize that it wasn’t working.

I do, however, see a great uproar among the liberal Catholics over the Popes Motu Proprio & his document forbidding the ordination of gays. Do you just fear change?

I really don’t understand why anyone resents your question. I know that it made me search for my own motivation & that’s always a good thing.
I don’t think anyone resents the question.
Reading over the thread, everyone who’s responded has answered the question. Even those who are arguing have answered the question. So…I don’t understand why both the question and the accusation of people NOT answering the question are being repeated. And repeated. I don’t know, but maybe the OP hasn’t received the answer he/she wants…? Maybe the question should be re-worded a bit:

Is there anyone here who, given the equal option to receive communion in the hand or on the tongue, chooses to receive in the hand? If so, why do you choose to receive in the hand? Are there any theological reasons, rather than just personal reasons?

Is there anyone here who, given the equal option to receive communion in the hand or on the tongue, chooses to receive in the hand? If so, why do you choose to receive in the hand? Are there any theological reasons, rather than just personal reasons?
That was how I took it and was the questio I answered in post #70.

Why receive on the tongue, which strays from the earliest practice of the Church.

Here’s the rub on those who bring up the “placing the first morsel on the tongue of a guest” when Christ instituted the Eucharist this was not the first morsel of the meal.

There is no less reverence in receiving in the hand than receiving on the tongue, I do both.
There’s actual proof of this?

Assuming it is, would you like to know what else is straying from way back then? Three Hail Marys for penance.

I say that anyone who wants to go back to the “early practices” had better be willing, and pushing for, severe penances for sin. Oh, yeah, and PUBLIC confession.

If anyone isn’t willing to do that, then their “let’s go back to the beginning” reasoning is proven false.

I don’t think anyone resents the question.
Reading over the thread, everyone who’s responded has answered the question. Even those who are arguing have answered the question. So…I don’t understand why both the question and the accusation of people NOT answering the question are being repeated. And repeated. I don’t know, but maybe the OP hasn’t received the answer he/she wants…? Maybe the question should be re-worded a bit:

Do the reasonings even matter? If protecting the Blessed Sacrament isn’t #1 on the list?

There is no theological reason, this is a practice the Church saw fit to do away with. When She *permitted *it, it was because it was easier than disciplining all the bishops who said “Forget you, Holy Father, we’re going to do things this way.”

It’s a practice resulting from disobedience. Luther and other “reformers” did the same thing, and we have the same result. Treat Jesus Christ like He’s one among equals, then the mentality becomes the same, and same goes the other way around.

I’m interested as well in hearing an actual defense of this practice.

Do the reasonings even matter? If protecting the Blessed Sacrament isn’t #1 on the list?

There is no theological reason, this is a practice the Church saw fit to do away with. When She *permitted *it, it was because it was easier than disciplining all the bishops who said “Forget you, Holy Father, we’re going to do things this way.”

It’s a practice resulting from disobedience. Luther and other “reformers” did the same thing, and we have the same result. Treat Jesus Christ like He’s one among equals, then the mentality becomes the same, and same goes the other way around.

Equating what Luther et al did with those who were practicing COTH before the indult???

Bascially saying the HMC took the LAZY WAY OUT regarding the bishops etc???

Such sentiments disgust me - they are such a slap in the face of the HMC and the Holy Spirit.

Not really. When these changes were made, most of us accepted them without a problem…why wouldn’t we? Before the abuses that can be directly attributed, not to Vat. II, but to those who used the “spirit of Vat. II” to promote their own agendas…the Catholic Church had always provided a beautiful & solemn liturgy. Why would anyone who had grown up in this atmosphere expect anything else than continued reverence & holiness from a Catholic Mass. It wasn’t until years later that most of us who don’t care for dancing scarves/holding hands/watching 8 EMs. troop to the altar to serve the Eucharist to 300 people, began to realize that it wasn’t working.

I do, however, see a great uproar among the liberal Catholics over the Popes Motu Proprio & his document forbidding the ordination of gays. Do you just fear change?
Many I know who object to the MP fear the political dealings that lead to it rather than any change and the bait/switch by supporters on some information and reasoning.

No one has ever, EVER. treated Jesus as one among equals here or even insinuated anything that could be construed as such. And if you think we have the same result as Luther and the reformers (ouside the Church) as American bishops (inside the Church), you have the most liberal view of extra ecclesia nulla salus I have ever heard.

There’s actual proof of this?

Assuming it is, would you like to know what else is straying from way back then? Three Hail Marys for penance.

I say that anyone who wants to go back to the “early practices” had better be willing, and pushing for, severe penances for sin. Oh, yeah, and PUBLIC confession.

If anyone isn’t willing to do that, then their “let’s go back to the beginning” reasoning is proven false.
Are those who want to do things more like what was set down at Trent want to go back to laity rarely receiving any of the sacraments (but especially confession and HC)? Go back to going from altar to altar to ‘hear’ the mass?

Are they willing to turn the clock back that far or give up the TLM altogether?

I agree with this. Protecting the Sacrament should be the #1 reason for why someone does something.
You’re right, there is no theological reason because quite frankly the method of reception is a matter of discipline and not theology. As such HMC can choose to allow the Bishops to allow it or not in their own Diocese. It is an indult meaning it is not the “norm” if you will even though it is the normal way most people receive and unfortunately in some Parishes the only way taught to the First Communicants :eek:.

A discipline resulting from disobedience perhaps but you have to admit that HMC would never have given the Bishops this right (to give the indult in his own Diocese) if it was a discipline that was wrong. Think about some of the other disciplines of HMC that have not been changed like a Celibate Priesthood for the Roman/Latin lung of the Church. Both John Paul 2 and Benedict 16 have reiterated that this discipline will not be changed even with some very vocal people saying it should change.

Now, you are interested in hearing a defense of this practice - whether you or Scylla will accept it or not I can not help. I personally prefer in the hand because I am slightly above average height for a woman making me only a few inches shorter than the majority of men and taller than a minority of men (amazingly a majority of the Priests here). Since we are required to stand and I have arthritis in my knees making kneeling to receive without an Altar rail near impossible a Priest or EMHC (most of whom I am taller than here) must reach up and somewhat blindly place Jesus on my tongue whereas my cupped hands are at a level easier for them to see and place Jesus safely in them and I can then place Him safely in my mouth. I then check my hand for crumbs once I get back to my pew (never saw any so we must have some nice low crumb hosts). If we do lose our indult I will go back to on the tongue but will always fear that Jesus will not be placed safely on my tongue or hope that if this happens we go back to kneeling to receive!

Brenda V.

Equating what Luther et al did with those who were practicing COTH before the indult???

Bascially saying the HMC took the LAZY WAY OUT regarding the bishops etc???

Such sentiments disgust me - they are such a slap in the face of the HMC and the Holy Spirit.
Lazy’s not the correct word, more “the path of least resistance” which isn’t necessarily the right way. Sad but true.

No one has ever, EVER. treated Jesus as one among equals here or even insinuated anything that could be construed as such. And if you think we have the same result as Luther and the reformers (ouside the Church) as American bishops (inside the Church), you have the most liberal view of extra ecclesia nulla salus I have ever heard.
You can’t argue against the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back