Why do Catholics insist on a final judgment over sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter tgGodsway
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OddBird. You need to do the work yourself. Why don’t you do a word study on the word inheritance as used in both old and new testament instead of belly aching about me. This is what I would say to my 18 year old. You guys need to approach theology objectively instead of like whiney babies all about me. Heresy!!! Heresy! Bla bla blah
Sheez, tg, heresy is heresy, and the Reformation produced heresies that disagree with other heresies, all from those seated at the foot of their shared sacred doctrine of Sola Scriptura as if the bible was intended to be some sort of systemized catechism or as if the gospel had something to do with whatever the better exegete ended up with in his speculations.

You’ll never understand the faith in it fullness outside of the Church that was established for that purpose, and that traces its lineage to the beginning. And this is why the doctrines you espouse here conflict with those of the ancient churches in both the east and the west.

Last edited:
I’m very sorry if I said something in my last post which offended you, and if it’s the case, I apologize.

But it doesn’t change the bottom of the matter. You say there is a different inheritance, or a different status in the Kingdom, according to the works, but you are refusing to explain how this doesn’t involve sin. I don’t ask the question because I want to corner you, I ask it because what you say doesn’t make sense to me and I want to understand. But if you don’t want to explain, well, there’s nothing more I can do.

If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in divine mercy,[117] which remits sins for Christ’s sake, or that it is this confidence alone that justifies us, let him be anathema.
Not to pick a fight, but if one would really like to know what it means to surrender to Divine Mercy they should read up on the life of St Therese of the Child Jesus & Holy Face.

Every morning when she woke she would make her bed, lay her crucifix on the pillow & say, “You rest my Lord. It’s my turn to suffer.”

Then she would take up her cross throughout the day. No complaints. No crying. Only love for Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Trent isn’t talking about that, even tho I doubt the concept was necessarily beyond the authors of it’s decrees and canons. IMO they were speaking of a rather intellectual concept, not of real surrender so much as an idea, that we must only resolve to trust in God’s mercy, and nothing else should be expected of us.

Last edited:
I have news for you. You and I were born dead to God. We came from Adam, who fell in transgression. All the good works in the world can not change the fact that all people are born to die in hell. Only through a new birth can change happen.
This doesn’t sound healthy.

I believe even when we were enemies, God gave His only Son so that I may have eternal life.

It’s just my opinion, but I believe one of the issues with the Jewish leadership of Jesus’ time is they got too caught up (too attached) in being “God’s chosen people” that they forgot what they were chosen for. To be a light to those who were not.

Our Lord & Savior didn’t come to heal the healthy, but to proclaim good news to the poor, freedom to the oppressed, & recovery of sight to the blind.

You were never dead to God. He’s been calling to you from the beginning of time. You were made good. You were made for life. He’s shown you the way & asks you to follow. But you’ve got to follow. Can’t just “believe.”

Trent isn’t talking about that, even tho I doubt the concept was necessarily beyond the authors of it’s decrees and canons. IMO they were speaking of a rather intellectual concept, not of real surrender so much as an idea , that we must only resolve to trust in God’s mercy, and nothing else should be expected of us.
I got that. Thank you. I was trying to contrast the “belief” Trent anathamized with the surrender of a true believer.

You were never dead to God. He’s been calling to you from the beginning of time. You were made good. You were made for life. He’s shown you the way & asks you to follow. But you’ve got to follow. Can’t just “believe
Maybe you have a lotta nerve thinking you’re more than just a WWW, Wretched Worthless Worm, fully deserving of eternal torment! If that’s not too good for you even. Need a dose of one them Reformed Humility Pills or something.

Last edited:
Bless the Lord that there was a Reformation.
tgGodsway, just wondering why you don’t answer some people? It doesn’t serve your position well.
40.png
tgGodsway:
They will weep and gnash their teeth, not because they’re in pain from the fires of hell,… but because they realize for the very first time, ever, the gravity of their poor choices.
Can you give an example of those ‘poor choices’?

Because that is what the Holy Spirit conveyed thru the Church, to St. John, to include in what became the Book of Revelation.

In other words…cuz God said it will be so.(Revelation 11)

Hi , do you believe that the nicolaitions in revelations were saved even though jesus himself hated their deeds?

Why do Catholics insist on a final judgment over sin?
Because Scripture says:

Romans 14:10 Why then do you judge your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God;
John 5:24 is clear that the judgment over sin “has passed.”
John 5:24 Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes in the one who sent me has eternal life and will not come to condemnation, but has passed from death to life.

That doesn’t say that there will be no judgment. That says that those who believe in Jesus will not be condemned in the Judgment.
There is no judgment over the penalty of one’s sins. It became a finished work when Jesus said so on the cross. He took our eternal penalty for us. He said,

“As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”
That says nothing about no judgment. It simply says that if you believe and obey Jesus, you will be saved.

You are reading your assumptions into Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back