Why Do Non-Catholics Do Such A Better Job with Worship?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Heffner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago as I parked my car in the church parking lot before Saturday evening Mass the thought occurred to me about how lucky we are to have this wonderful gift, the Holy Mass, given to us by our Lord. A good number of cars were in the parking lot but I thought to myself one day there will be such a resurgence in the Mass and Catholic faith such that the longest traffic lines will be for people trying to get to Mass. I believe this but I just don’t know when it will happen.
I pray that it happens too.

Until however we plan and act like we should in the presence of God, I think the Church is going to continue to lose members at least in the USA.

Catholic sacrificial liturgies should take the absolute best we as humans can muster.
 
P.S. I hope nobody tells Cardinal Burke to leave the Church. :o
Is your hope based on your expectation of the eminent person’s reaction to the poor miscreant who dares make such a suggestion?
 
I hope you are wrong. I hope that we have better public transportation by then. I would rather hope that subway stations are placed near churches to accomodate all the traffic (and not just on Sunday).
A couple of weeks ago as I parked my car in the church parking lot before Saturday evening Mass the thought occurred to me about how lucky we are to have this wonderful gift, the Holy Mass, given to us by our Lord. A good number of cars were in the parking lot but I thought to myself one day there will be such a resurgence in the Mass and Catholic faith such that the longest traffic lines will be for people trying to get to Mass. I believe this but I just don’t know when it will happen.
 
I pray that it happens too.

Until however we plan and act like we should in the presence of God, I think the Church is going to continue to lose members at least in the USA.

Catholic sacrificial liturgies should take the absolute best we as humans can muster.
I absolutely agree, it should be the absolute best we can muster, but, if the Church loses member because of other parishioners, or because they feel that the Church isn’t doing enough for THEM in terms of comfort or style of liturgy, then to me, that would mean that these ex-members are looking for the excuse to leave.

This reminds me of those who left because of the scandals. Those who leave for the above reasons, either don’t know what they’re leaving or they just don’t care.
 
Perhaps some of the lurkers and posters on this thread remember the infamous CAF “Coat Rack Thread.”

Heffner, several years ago when I first joined CAF shortly after converting to Catholicism, I started a thread about why Catholic Churches do not have coat racks.

Innocent question, right? Every Protestant church I’ve ever been in, including the older churches, have coat racks, and many have coat rooms. The idea is that when you are sitting in church, you remove your coat since you will be there for an hour or more. Providing a coat rack seems a courteous thing to do, right?

Well, within a few posts, that thread became a furious battleground with people actually claiming that coat racks were a Protestant innovation that isn’t needed in God’s True Church. The thread went all over the place, with lots of accusations about why converts need to leave behind the evils of their Protestant past (coat racks?) and fully embrace Catholicism (no coat racks, leaving our coats on during the Mass–apparently some Catholics are convinced that it is a GIRM requirement to leave coats on during Mass.)
…]
Hahaha! That sounds like the most ridiculous discussion I’ve ever heard! Although some may say I have a “legalistic” view of things, that is certainly over the top! I hope those people were joking.

The evils of coat racks…😃
 
I have missed the “Coat Rack Thread” somehow. It must have been a real hoot. 😉
 
I have missed the “Coat Rack Thread” somehow. It must have been a real hoot. 😉
It seems funny now, but at the time, it really upset me. I think it was the first time that I realized that Catholics can be just as nasty as Protestants can be.

For those of you who don’t know my history, in 2002, our family was kicked out of our Protestant church, an Evangelical Free Church where we had served in many ministries for several years. A woman pastor, jealous of our successes with children’s ministries, trumped up heinous charges against us, specifically me (I’m the wife). We were asked to attend a tribunal, which consisted of many men that we didn’t even know and who had never met us, along with the woman pastor. The meeting ended with us being told to leave the church. We were shunned by most of the church members from that day on.

It was a nightmare. We had spent all our lives devoted to our churches, usually spending 5-6 days or evenings a week involved with some church ministry. And now it was all gone. For the first time in decades, we turned on our television in the evening and watched the shows that we had only heard about before our ousting.

As you can imagine, that incident crushed any trust that I had for Christians. For a year, I wouldn’t go near a church, and I closed my Bible and put it away, because I realized that the doctrine of sola Scriptura is Satanic–the tribunal used the Bible to justify their cruel treatment of our family.

My two daughters stopped attending church. Several years later, a few years after my husband and I converted to Catholicism, my older daughter began attending Mass in her city, and after two years, converted to Catholicism. She is a very enthusiastic Catholic today.

My younger daughter is married now, and has not attended church since the ousting. She will visit churches with me and her daddy. She will cantor if she is invited to (she has a beautiful, classically-trained voice). She and her husband talk about someday going to church. But the fact is–she doesn’t trust “church” or Christians. She has seen just how mean Christians can be when they are “defending their beliefs,” and she can’t bring herself to trust any of them. I believe that our Blessed Mother will plead with her Son to please be merciful to my daughter (who is baptized, BTW) and her husband (who was her boyfriend at the time the ousting occurred).

Anyway, the coat rack thread and the vitriol in that thread really hurt my trust in Catholics. I love many of the people in my parish and attend a Bible study/friendship small group with a half-dozen other couples and singles. I think I trust these people. But I think that I will battle trust issues until I die. You just don’t forget about such horror.

Now what does that have to do with the topic in this thread? Probably nothing, except to remind people that we are dealing with human hearts in any thread here on CAF. Some posters seem to enjoy using strong words, specifically sarcasm, to “prove” that they are “correct.” Sadly, these people don’t realize that being correct is not nearly as important as demonstrating Christian love for all people, including those that we disagree with.

You never know who is reading a thread and what will hurt them to a point where they can’t bring themselves to trust God or His people again. That’s where my younger daughter is. Someone put her in that place, and they probably don’t even know it, and they probably think that they are so righteous. They will be surprised when they face Jesus during their judgment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top