Why do people hate catholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter cindydanleo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some people hate catholics because 1)Catholics are not always the most tolerant people,even toward more liberal members of the church, 2)Catholics often appear condescending and arrogant toward protestants and other religions,expressing their belief that they are the"true church",and 4) Because of some of the persecution catholics have carried out through out history(crusades,inquisition)
With that said,I know there are many good catholics out there who do not deserve the attitudes that are so prevalent in todays society.
Franny, while I agree that there can often be an appearance of ‘arrogance’ among Catholics (though frankly I don’t think they are more arrogant than any other group), you really need to check out your history regarding the crusades and the inquisition. Those were NOT about “Catholic persecution” and the sooner you get the correct information, the better. Heck, we’ve had the occasional bad Pope, the occasional rotten apples, and the occasional nasty person --the Church is, after all, a hospital for sinners and not a museum for saints–but for heaven’s sake, castigate us for things we have really done, and not for things we have not. 🙂
 
Money, sex, power. People hate the Church because they believe that the Church is corrupt and all about getting rich and ruling the world through getting inside their heads (and interfering with their lives, especially their sex lives). And it doesn’t help when a few of our members have historically (and possibly currently) been greedy after money, sex, and/or power.
 
I fully back the OP’s wording (that people hate Catholics) simply because I know quite a few people who hate Catholics and have no problem telling you so. Telling you why is another story, but they’re quick to let you know that they hate Catholics.

For some of the people I have no idea what their background is, but a lot of the hate seems to be based on the abuse scandal. Others were raised Catholic and blame that upbringing on everything that’s gone wrong in their lives. Others are various other denominations who hate Catholics based on the misinformation they were fed growing up (my favorite is that the Pope is in league with the devil and wears that big hat to cover the horns that grow on his head after he undergoes the bizarre, secret rituals to become Pope).

At the same time, I know plenty of people (99% of whom are Catholic to one degree or another) who despise anyone devoutly Catholic, or more devoutly Catholic than themselves. I’ve been making a big effort the last few years to be a better Catholic and I know a bunch of people who disapprove of this immensely. I’ve been made fun of and/or called an idiot (or worse) for going to Mass regularly, not making fun of Pope Benedict, not using artificial birth control, going to Confession more than once a year, going to Confession at all, knowing more about the Church now than I did in grade school, opposing abortion, etc. And, remember, this is almost entirely from other Catholics.

I don’t have a good reason for why there’s so much animosity, but it’s definitely at least somewhat common.
 
First off, as many of you know, I used to despise religions believing them a crutch for those who could not face the reality that humanity is alone. I am someone who ‘hated’ Catholics, however my hate was misdirected as what made me hate was actually Protestant’s. I should have realized this fact when i was kicked out of religion class and given detention for asking why worshipping Amen-Ra was wrong when the Egyptian sun god has more history then Chritianity 😃 the teachers hated me SOOOO much back then. I now realize Protastants are usually the ‘bible bashers’ I was heckled by when out shopping or relaxing.

My hatred was born out of ignorance, not knowing the difference between Catholic and Protestant back then which lead me to identify Chritianity as a single church. Our ‘religion teachers’ never mentioned the Catholic church by name or at all really so yes, ignorance and misinformation is what leads to lots of people not trusting religion or seeing it as an escapism.

Thankfully I’ve grown out of that ‘Im smarter then you’ mind set and stopped being an arrogant little p**** (well, for the most part. I admit my pride is my weakness). Funnily enough, I originally joined this community to troll and for the ‘lolz’ but now I take a genuine interest in it 🤷 funny how God works I guess.
 
Abortion is not a 'Catholic rule". It is a basic HUMAN RIGHT. The right to life.

As for ‘definition of marriage’. . . in what way? What Catholic leader is forcing his non-Catholic followers into being married in a Catholic Church?

Oh wait, sorry, I was having a ‘duh moment’ (would like to blame flu but hey, no excuse). You mean ‘gay marriage’.

Well, first of all, in the U.S. anyway, 38 of the 50 states have either a DOMA act (Defense of Marriage Act) which stipulates that marriage is between one man and one woman, and I think a couple of others have similar statements that are now in the process of being argued in court.

So, um, it’s not exactly a "Catholic view of marriage’, right? 38 of 50 states appear to think that one man/one woman is a SECULAR point of view as well.

Also, there are not only Catholics but Jews, Muslims, Protestants, and even atheists and pagans, who believe in one man/ one woman marriage and not in ‘gay marriage’.

In actual legal fact, all current definitions of marriage in the U.S. and in most of the rest of the countries of the world state that marriage is one man/one woman. And these countries are not all Catholic. . .
So you think that the Catholic Church is making no effort whatsoever to enforce it’s beliefs on abortion into civil law? And the same for its views on marriage?

Stating “abortion isn’t a Catholic rule, it’s a basic human right to life” is your opinion, mine, and that of the Church. You’re not answering my point though, but it’s nice to know your opinion.

Teaching that abortion is wrong is a Catholic “rule” - you face excommunication for having one as a Catholic. The Catholic Church is attempting to enforce this rule across the board by campaigning against it nationally to get the law on its side - the prolife campaign.

It’s the same for marriage - the Catholic Church is campaigning to KEEP the definition of marriage as it is in law, it doesn’t mean it’s a rule that just applies currently to Catholics or that only Catholics support it/have it. How can’t you see that?
 
You know when people say such things about the Catholic church, it just cements the fact that the Catholic church is God’s church. And I pray for them. The Catholic church has been prosecuted since day one till now. And we’re still holding strong.

God belss

jesus g
 
So you think that the Catholic Church is making no effort whatsoever to enforce it’s beliefs on abortion into civil law? And the same for its views on marriage? First, the "Catholic Church beliefs’ happened pretty much to be “society’s beliefs” up until the early 20th century. Who really is ‘enforcing’ whose beliefs here? Did you know that the so-called “Catholic Church belief” (here in the US anyway) was civil law until 1973???

Did you READ what I said about the U.S. and the DOMA? These are STATES which have their CIVIL LAW defined as marriage = one man, one woman. Who is trying to enforce WHOSE views?

Stating “abortion isn’t a Catholic rule, it’s a basic human right to life” is your opinion, mine, and that of the Church. You’re not answering my point though, but it’s nice to know your opinion. No, it happens to be the truth. There is such a thing as absolute truth. The fact that I happen to accept and to UPHOLD absolute truth doesn’t make it ‘my opinion’.

You do realize there are not only Protestants but Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu, and even ATHEISTS who believe that abortion is killing a PERSON and is therefore a human rights issue?

Teaching that abortion is wrong is a Catholic “rule” - you face excommunication for having one as a Catholic. The Catholic Church is attempting to enforce this rule across the board by campaigning against it nationally to get the law on its side - the prolife campaign. The Church is simply stating God’s TRUTH, not trying to claim it can 'make rules".

It’s the same for marriage - the Catholic Church is campaigning to KEEP the definition of marriage as it is in law, it doesn’t mean it’s a rule that just applies currently to Catholics or that only Catholics support it/have it. How can’t you see that?
Apparently you think I can’t ‘see’ something, but likewise, I think YOU can’t see that Truth is not something which can be changed or broken at the ‘whim’ of the individual and made into ‘falsehoods’. I don’t know why you can’t see it but. . .

Is it that you think there are different ‘rules’ for Catholics and non-Catholics? That only Catholics, for example, are called upon to uphold the truth about abortion or marriage (TRUTHS, not simply 'OPINIONS"), but if ‘society’ deems these aren’t true, we’re expected to shut up about truth and go along with the majority?
 
Apparently you think I can’t ‘see’ something, but likewise, I think YOU can’t see that Truth is not something which can be changed or broken at the ‘whim’ of the individual and made into ‘falsehoods’. I don’t know why you can’t see it but. . .

Is it that you think there are different ‘rules’ for Catholics and non-Catholics? That only Catholics, for example, are called upon to uphold the truth about abortion or marriage (TRUTHS, not simply 'OPINIONS"), but if ‘society’ deems these aren’t true, we’re expected to shut up about truth and go along with the majority?
You’re not understanding what I’m getting at at all. Have I said that Catholic laws are different to civil/national? They’re not, but they are being challenged now.

I haven’t denied or stated that civil law is different or always has been to Catholic. I have however, correctly, stated that the Catholic Church is campaigning for its moral beliefs to be protected and certainly enforced in the cases of abortion and marriage.

When did I claim that these were exclusively Catholic?
 
Mathew 10:22 All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
John 15:21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.

There’s your answer.
 
I was once indirectly called a nazi for be Catholic… my grandmother is Jewish.
 
Well, relations with the rest of the world have really only started since 1962. That is about 50 years. Before that time, Protestants, and people of other religions were on the super highway to hell.

Since Vatican II we have been trying to build bridges with people that we deemed lost if not evil. My Mother and Father told me how in the 1940s they were not allowed to step foot in the local Lutheran Church to attend a friend’s wedding. This is how extreme was the lack of Divine Love and Understanding flowed.

Also, don’t ever forget (for they don’t) that from the 1500s on Catholics burned Protestant churches and towns especially in Germany. If you have ever wondered why the doors on some churches are red, it is because it was a sign that the church building was a Protestant Church and safe to enter.

Of course, the Inquisition also didn’t help in trying to create good community relationships.

So, despite the change in trying to reach out to our Christian brothers, there is still a lack of trust. I would say, give it at least another 50 years. In reality, you need 1 year for every year that it was done incorrectly.

The Protestant Reformation started 500 years ago. We went 50 years in the right direction. So in reality, we have 450 years left before the healing is completely accomplished.
 
Well, relations with the rest of the world have really only started since 1962. That is about 50 years. Before that time, Protestants, and people of other religions were on the super highway to hell.

Since Vatican II we have been trying to build bridges with people that we deemed lost if not evil. My Mother and Father told me how in the 1940s they were not allowed to step foot in the local Lutheran Church to attend a friend’s wedding. This is how extreme was the lack of Divine Love and Understanding flowed.

Also, don’t ever forget (for they don’t) that from the 1500s on Catholics burned Protestant churches and towns especially in Germany. If you have ever wondered why the doors on some churches are red, it is because it was a sign that the church building was a Protestant Church and safe to enter.

Of course, the Inquisition also didn’t help in trying to create good community relationships.

So, despite the change in trying to reach out to our Christian brothers, there is still a lack of trust. I would say, give it at least another 50 years. In reality, you need 1 year for every year that it was done incorrectly.

The Protestant Reformation started 500 years ago. We went 50 years in the right direction. So in reality, we have 450 years left before the healing is completely accomplished.
:rolleyes: Please provide documentation for your accusations against Holy Mother Church. I do not recall the Holy Father sending the faithful out to burn protestant gathering spaces.

I pray that your hardness of heart will one day be lifted and you will be given the grace to turn from the world and to the Church. Your posts portray you as a protestant, not a Catholic.
 
Where in my post do I claim that the Pope told people to burn Protestant Churches? However, on the other hand, I don’t recall any word from Rome condemning Catholic German Princes for burning Protestant Churches and Towns? Why am I suddenly a Protestant? Because I am not afraid to look honestly at history? History is a most valuable tool to explain why we are in the situation we are in now!

There are people who say what is the point in remembering things from the past that are unpleasant? Blessed Pope John Paul II understood this lesson quite well. He apologized to the Jews and corrected Galileo’s paperwork, because he understood the value in admitting fault in creating a poor situation. I guess that is why he will be a saint.

As far as my other posts go, I apologize if my frankness in expressing my opinion galls you. We are all thinking and rational beings. I don’t believe that God expects anyone to follow anything blindly. He, I’m sure, welcomes debate. It shows true interest and consideration of the aspects of belief within the Church.
 
Where in my post do I claim that the Pope told people to burn Protestant Churches? However, on the other hand, I don’t recall any word from Rome condemning Catholic German Princes for burning Protestant Churches and Towns? Why am I suddenly a Protestant? Because I am not afraid to look honestly at history? History is a most valuable tool to explain why we are in the situation we are in now!

There are people who say what is the point in remembering things from the past that are unpleasant? Blessed Pope John Paul II understood this lesson quite well. He apologized to the Jews and corrected Galileo’s paperwork, because he understood the value in admitting fault in creating a poor situation. I guess that is why he will be a saint.

As far as my other posts go, I apologize if my frankness in expressing my opinion galls you. We are all thinking and rational beings. I don’t believe that God expects anyone to follow anything blindly. He, I’m sure, welcomes debate. It shows true interest and consideration of the aspects of belief within the Church.
The teachings of the Church aren’t up for debate. Masturbation is always wrong, period. It is closed for debate. Abortion is always wrong, period. Closed for debate. Homosexuality is wrong, period. Closed for debate.
Your entitled to opinion and yes God does expect to follow blindly…its called faith. Reason can play a part in it, yes, but trusting 100% in the teachings of the Church while not always fully understanding it is called being obedient. We can ask why, but we must understand that the Church is always right and we are always wrong.
 
The teachings of the Church aren’t up for debate. Masturbation is always wrong, period. It is closed for debate. Abortion is always wrong, period. Closed for debate. Homosexuality is wrong, period. Closed for debate.
Your entitled to opinion and yes God does expect to follow blindly…its called faith. Reason can play a part in it, yes, but trusting 100% in the teachings of the Church while not always fully understanding it is called being obedient. We can ask why, but we must understand that the Church is always right and we are always wrong.
If that is the case then I don’t believe in those teachings. I believe you are wrong about God. To have people follow without thinking is next to having them lobotomized. God gave us the ability to reason and so we do. There are aspects to religion that are based on faith. Belief in God and places we haven’t seen like Heaven, but actual teachings created by man are subject to compliance or being dismissed out of hand. Trusting fully 100% in anything you don’t understand is near to insanity. The Church has made plenty of mistakes. Just look at the number of people molested by priests the church ordained. And then the Church compiles the scandal by refusing to condemn such men. Horrific example to set before the Church!

In no way, would I ever teach my children to follow blindly something they don’t understand which culminates in an increase of hate for homosexuals, bisexuals, or people “beyond salvation” (I take this to mean the billions of souls that God created that aren’t Catholic).

The arguments that I have heard as of late, haven’t convinced me in the least that I am incorrect in my conclusions. If anything, they have assured me of my instincts in protecting my children from such un-Christian and un-loving teachings.
 
I guess another reason that Catholics aren’t going to win the most gregarious neighbor award is that in the new catechism, get this, only Catholics are being saved.

Poor Pope John XXIII. There aren’t enough kleenex in heaven to address this crying jag.

Something tells me that Pope John Paul II had something to do with this. I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes right now. He’s hearing it loud and clear in Latin, English, Polish, etc.
 
It seems you have absolutely no idea what the Catholic Church teaches. Your attitudes and ideas are the result of forty or so years of poor catechesis which has lead to the corruption of millions of souls.
Please, read the catechism. Read your Bible. Put aside your own pride and listen to the Church. She’s older and wiser than you.
 
I guess another reason that Catholics aren’t going to win the most gregarious neighbor award is that in the new catechism, get this, only Catholics are being saved.

Poor Pope John XXIII. There aren’t enough kleenex in heaven to address this crying jag.

Something tells me that Pope John Paul II had something to do with this. I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes right now. He’s hearing it loud and clear in Latin, English, Polish, etc.
Luckily, this isn’t true. 🙂

catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp

"vThe following quotations from the Church Fathers give the straight story. They show that the early Church held the same position on this as the contemporary Church does—that is, while it is normatively necessary to be a Catholic to be saved (see CCC 846; Vatican II, Lumen Gentium 14), there are exceptions, and it is possible in some circumstances for people to be saved who have not been fully initiated into the Catholic Church (CCC 847).

Notice that the same Fathers who declare the normative necessity of being Catholic also declare the possibility of salvation for some who are not Catholics."
 
It seems you have absolutely no idea what the Catholic Church teaches. Your attitudes and ideas are the result of forty or so years of poor catechesis which has lead to the corruption of millions of souls.
Please, read the catechism. Read your Bible. Put aside your own pride and listen to the Church. She’s older and wiser than you.
👍👍👍
 
I guess another reason that Catholics aren’t going to win the most gregarious neighbor award is that in the new catechism, get this, only Catholics are being saved.

Poor Pope John XXIII. There aren’t enough kleenex in heaven to address this crying jag.

Something tells me that Pope John Paul II had something to do with this. I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes right now. He’s hearing it loud and clear in Latin, English, Polish, etc.
Wait… what? If you have Jesus the Messiah in your heart, mind and soul it does not matter what church you attend. Forgiveness is forgiveness, no one has the right to tell another that their ways are wrong. Just like no one has a right to tell us we’re wrong. How could they say that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top