Why do people hate catholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter cindydanleo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that is the case then I don’t believe in those teachings. I believe you are wrong about God. To have people follow without thinking is next to having them lobotomized. God gave us the ability to reason and so we do. There are aspects to religion that are based on faith. Belief in God and places we haven’t seen like Heaven, but actual teachings created by man are subject to compliance or being dismissed out of hand. Trusting fully 100% in anything you don’t understand is near to insanity. The Church has made plenty of mistakes. Just look at the number of people molested by priests the church ordained. And then the Church compiles the scandal by refusing to condemn such men. Horrific example to set before the Church!

In no way, would I ever teach my children to follow blindly something they don’t understand which culminates in an increase of hate for homosexuals, bisexuals, or people “beyond salvation” (I take this to mean the billions of souls that God created that aren’t Catholic).

The arguments that I have heard as of late, haven’t convinced me in the least that I am incorrect in my conclusions. If anything, they have assured me of my instincts in protecting my children from such un-Christian and un-loving teachings.
You don’t sound like a catholic. well you maybe a catholic but only in name. I suggest and hope you would really read what the church teaches with an open mind and heart. The church never teaches anything about hate. How can they when God’s message is about love.
 
I was born and raised a catholic,but I am sorry to say,I am ashamed of the intolerance and lack of respect shown other christians.The longer I am on this site,the closer I am to joining a protestant church and I am not the only one who will be defecting.many of my friends have become disenchanted with the church because of outdated and erroneous teachings,especially the belief that the Pope is infallible,but also because of the churches stand on social issues such as homosexuality and birth control.I have heard the same complaint from many of my friends who stop attending services alltogether,that they feel alienated and at odds with the teachings.What some people perceive as hate is actually anger based on negative experiences.
 
Posting to the original question… FEAR!

People are so afraid to be what they are supposed to be. As far as Protestantism goes… it is easy, so may people follow it! The saying…“God forgives my sin before I commit it” is abused by so many. I love to asked Protestants… “When was the last time you confessed your sins to God?” Most cannot answer.

We are a select few who love God so much that we will take the “road less taken” to ensure that we are following Gods law… not the distorted image that so many follow.

-Cathoversal
 
Oh dear God!

I don’t know what to say! So many differing viewpoints, so much venom! I get very sad when I read or hear this kind of attacking going on - usually as comments at the bottom of newspaper articles, but rarely have I seen such anger between fellow Catholics!

I firmly believe in ALL the teachings of the Catholic Church. Some are difficult to understand until I research them thoroughly, on both sides of the argument. The CC has always (so far) proven to be reasonable in her teaching, even if it’s very hard to accept. This world is not about getting everything you want, it’s about achieving salvation. It will be hard, it won’t be fair, but it will be worth it to follow the rules.

Each person’s actions will be judged according to what he understood and believed in his life. My advice is to test everything and hold fast to what is good (and be very careful to leave your own feelings out of it). If you really want to understand why the Church teaches certain things, there is a vast amount of information available - I suggest you research thoroughly, because many people can’t explain things very well. If you just want to argue against the Church’s stance, then stay ignorant, or listen only to the arguments made by non-Catholics.

And for crying out loud, stop beating up on the Church! They really are on our side.
 
Jesus’ message offended a great deal of people during his lifetime, and I’ve decided that’s just par for the course for his followers. Use every opportunity you’re given to speak The Truth, let your life be a witness to The Truth, and don’t take the insults to heart.

God bless!
Amen!

Unfortunately, some simply do not want to hear the truth and actually become angry when faced with it. Sadly, I was one of those for quite a while there 😊 but our Lord/Lady never gave up on me, chased me down and brought me home. 🙂
 
I first experienced this actually on online communities. On another site I visit, it’s secular but a lot of Christians are on it, I kept getting people sending me offensive messages because my profile states that I am Catholic. I’ve been on the verge of tears sometimes from the stuff people say but one time I was overjoyed when several people commented back in my defense. Just shows there are nice, understanding people out there but unfortunately the cruel ones seem to be more active about it.

I kind of feel like it’s a convenient way for other churches to justify their existence - make the one Church they spread from seem like the bad guy. Also, the spread of internet apologetics allows any random idiot to preach whatever they like and many of them are tragically convincing to the gullible.
 
because of outdated and erroneous teachings,especially the belief that the Pope is infallible,but also because of the churches stand on social issues such as homosexuality and birth control.
Can you explain to me to Church’s teaching on “the Pope is infallible”? The way you word it makes it seem that your perfectly willing to leave the Church on a matter you do not understand. The Pope is not infallible, if that were the case how could we have had bad popes? Can he speak infallibly on matters of faith -yes. How many times have Popes ever done this in the history of the papacy? Very rarely.
If the teaching on homosexuality is outdated that the Bible is outdated. Is that your position? That Bible is no longer relevant, that God should get with the times. Or is the Bible just plain erroneous? Not really the word of God. Considering the first two items you mentioned my guess is, you have not looked into what the Church teaches and why it teaches it so I won’t even get into birth control at this time.
Before you decide to leave the Catholic church and find a church that agrees with popular opinion, you should look at Church teaching and understand why it teaches it. Being Catholic isn’t about making God into our image & likeness. At least know what your actually disagreeing with, instead of just making blanket statements.
 
I was born and raised a catholic,but I am sorry to say,I am ashamed of the intolerance and lack of respect shown other christians.The longer I am on this site,the closer I am to joining a protestant church and I am not the only one who will be defecting.many of my friends have become disenchanted with the church because of outdated and erroneous teachings,especially the belief that the Pope is infallible,but also because of the churches stand on social issues such as homosexuality and birth control.I have heard the same complaint from many of my friends who stop attending services alltogether,that they feel alienated and at odds with the teachings.What some people perceive as hate is actually anger based on negative experiences.
The pope is infallible with regards to the moral teachings of the Church. These teachings on morality cannot be changed by anybody, not the pope, and not the whole church because these teachings were made by Jesus Christ himself.

The Church has no right and cannot change its teachings on contraception and homosexuality even if it is already accepted because God’s law are the same in the past, still the same in the present and will still be the same in the future.

Teachings regarding homosexuality and contraceptions are not something made up by the Pope. He himself does not have the authority to do that. THose teachings are found in the bible.

Before attacking the church, which is normally the easy way out, I suggest you read why the Church is really oppose to these immoral acts. (and I say acts because the Church never condemns gay people. The Church is just not tolerant on immoral actions)
 
franny50:

HON–I AM GETTING THE FEELING THAT YOU ARE A PLANT—AS IN "PROTESTANT " CLAIMING TO BE A CRADLE CATHOLIC.

AFTER READING YOUR RESPONSES I GOTTA TELL YA—YOUR MUCH MORE HATEFUL THAN ANY PROTESTANTS OR CATHOLICS THAT I KNOW.

I HOPE MY FONT IS BIG ENOUGH FOR YA! 😉
 
I’ve been in that situation myself. I’ve decided that saying you are Catholic among Protestants will quickly show you the ones who are TRULY Christian and the ones who are not. The ones who are actually WORTH your time and friendship are the ones who will not start passing judgment on you.
 
You don’t sound like a catholic. well you maybe a catholic but only in name. I suggest and hope you would really read what the church teaches with an open mind and heart. The church never teaches anything about hate. How can they when God’s message is about love.
My husband who was born in 1955 was raised devout Catholic in the US and told if he set foot in a Protestant church, any church, he was going to hell. My doctor who is his age was told the same thing. They did not know each other and were raised in different parts of the country. She is the product of a mixed marriage - her father was Protestant and she was raised Catholic. My husband and my doctor both rejected the Church by the time they were about 10 and the rejection of Protestants was one reason.
 
My husband who was born in 1955 was raised devout Catholic in the US and told if he set foot in a Protestant church, any church, he was going to hell. My doctor who is his age was told the same thing. They did not know each other and were raised in different parts of the country. She is the product of a mixed marriage - her father was Protestant and she was raised Catholic. My husband and my doctor both rejected the Church by the time they were about 10 and the rejection of Protestants was one reason.
I don’t think the Church rejects Protestants. It sees Protestants as true Christians who simply do not have the FULL truth. Because of the truth issue, it has taught Catholics that they are not allowed to leave. The Church also teaches that Protestant church on Sunday does not “count” because they do not have the Real Presence in the Eucharist.
 
Maybe what they remember is unusually severe. At any rate I can certainly understand the Church saying it has the fullness of truth and Catholics should remain Catholic - it would be surprising if it said anything else. By the time I grew up though, Protestants weren’t talked about that way, it was assumed we would stay Catholic. Never really came up for discussion actually.
 
My husband who was born in 1955 was raised devout Catholic in the US and told if he set foot in a Protestant church, any church, he was going to hell. My doctor who is his age was told the same thing. They did not know each other and were raised in different parts of the country. She is the product of a mixed marriage - her father was Protestant and she was raised Catholic. My husband and my doctor both rejected the Church by the time they were about 10 and the rejection of Protestants was one reason.
I have never heard the Catholic church saying that all muslims, jews or protestant will go to Hell because they are not catholic.

As far as I am concerned the catholic faith is less judgemental because we believe that these people who are non-catholics will still be save if they have good works where as protestants (I am not saying all but I have heard them say this) , I have heard protestants say that those who do not believe in Jesus will not be saved meaning all jews , muslims, etc will go to hell. sorry If I have offended anyone on this comment…not my intention…
 
I have never heard the Catholic church saying that all muslims, jews or protestant will go to Hell because they are not catholic.

As far as I am concerned the catholic faith is less judgemental because we believe that these people who are non-catholics will still be save if they have good works where as protestants (I am not saying all but I have heard them say this) , I have heard protestants say that those who do not believe in Jesus will not be saved meaning all jews , muslims, etc will go to hell. sorry If I have offended anyone on this comment…not my intention…
I totally agree. In Judaism, it is said that if an individual lived a good life and was a good person, God would give them mercy. The secluded tribes of Africa have never had an opportunity to hear the word of God (both old and new testiments), let alone knowing who Jesus is. Are they to be condemned for lack of knowledge? No, I believe God is more than fair. Jesus turned to the other man on the cross and said “you will join me in Paradise”. Perhaps that is where Jews, Muslims and everyone else goes. There is a difference between not knowing God and rejecting him.
 
I read some of the responses to my post and I frankly am not surprised.Let me summarize the sentiments expressed.

1)I have been told that I am hateful toward the church
2)That I am ignorant of the churches teachings
3)And that before deciding to leave the cc that I should do more research and
4) That I am a “Protestant Plant”

I am a cradle catholic(not a protestant plant) who disagrees with some of the teachings and If you can’t accept that fact it is too bad.I am a good,honest person who lives out her faith helping others.Thanks for helping solidify my desire to leave the church.
 
I read some of the responses to my post and I frankly am not surprised.Let me summarize the sentiments expressed.

1)I have been told that I am hateful toward the church
2)That I am ignorant of the churches teachings
3)And that before deciding to leave the cc that I should do more research and
4) That I am a “Protestant Plant”

I am a cradle catholic(not a protestant plant) who disagrees with some of the teachings and If you can’t accept that fact it is too bad.I am a good,honest person who lives out her faith helping others.Thanks for helping solidify my desire to leave the church.
Franny, you’ll find that most priests don’t even agree with ALL Catholic teaching. I hear it from them all the time in confessional and in homilies. It’s a very complicated religion-- please know that we’re not all so judgmental. As with everything in life, you have to focus on the positive!
 
If progressives like franny get their way and the Church changes its teachings on homosexuality and such, I will be leaving. So you see it goes both ways. Good news for us is that the Church is correct in its teachings, so no need for that to happen.
 
I just pray that you won’t get too hung up over the hateful remarks towards you and your faith. I also request that you won’t seek to get back at them. Jesus was also ridiculed by people and denied by His own friends, but He did not fight back. Instead He asked Our Father to forgive them. Be like our Savior on the Cross.

I have this prayer for you…

Lord Jesus, teach me to be generous;
teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to seek reward,
except that of knowing that I do your will.

Amen.
Code:
                      - St. Ignatius Loyola
May Christ’s peace be with you. 🙂
 
I read some of the responses to my post and I frankly am not surprised.Let me summarize the sentiments expressed.

1)I have been told that I am hateful toward the church
2)That I am ignorant of the churches teachings
3)And that before deciding to leave the cc that I should do more research and
4) That I am a “Protestant Plant”

I am a cradle catholic(not a protestant plant) who disagrees with some of the teachings and If you can’t accept that fact it is too bad.I am a good,honest person who lives out her faith helping others.Thanks for helping solidify my desire to leave the church.
Blaming Catholics on a msg board for any part of your decision to leave the Catholic Church sounds eerily like anti God types blaming Christians for being anti God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top