Why do people hate the church especially those coming from Christian backgrounds

• Thread starter Thread starter abinjoy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet that most people in Ireland or the United States did not think that there was a systemic problem in the Catholic Church in those countries 25 or 30 years ago.
Many people in USA were well aware the Church had a systemic problem with sexual abuse 25 years ago. It was all over the secular newspapers in my area of the US in the early 90s.

There were likely more people then who were in denial. Part of this was due to the fact that the older generation had a harder time wrapping their mind around the fact that sexual abuse went on, because it was something not discussed/ not regarded in the same way in their day. However, a lot of younger people were not so quick to deny or dismiss the allegations.

Last edited:
The majority of Christians on earth, ARE Catholic, well over half, so you’re question, as it’s written makes no sense.

Last edited:
America was founded by Protestants. Thus, there was an early, and lingering., prejudice against Catholics. Those early Americans were primarily from what we know as the UK, and so were breakaways from the Church of England which was torn from the Catholic Church by H8th.

Religious polemics were in full swing in Europe at the time, so that attitude naturally carried over to the States. In the US, and elsewhere, many are attracted to the vague concept of bible Christianity, which accepts or tolerates divorce and abortion, as well as various other teachings in direct opposition to the Catholic Church.

To counter this, a basic catechesis, leaning heavily on the scriptures is needed.

You’re doubtless right that 25 years ago many people were beginning to be aware of the problem. But 30 years ago? 40 years ago? At some point, people were not aware of the problem. Similar scandals emerged throughout much of the western world around the same time. However, it seems likely that there could be similar issues in other parts of the world which have simply not yet come to light. Of course, we must hope that this is not the case, but it seems likely.

Similarly, sexual abuse in different denominations has come to light at different times. In the UK, certainly, it first came to light in the Catholic Church in the late 1990s, but within ten years it became clear that a scandal of even greater proportions had being going on in the Church of England but had simply been covered up more effectively (or had been allowed to hide in plain sight). More recently, it turns out that the Jehovah’s Witnesses have been absolutely rife with sexual abuse and that they generally cover it up by dealing with it internally, blaming victims, and threatening to disfellowship anyone who speaks out.

Perhaps I am overly pessimistic - I certainly hope I am - but I fear that there could well be another wave of accusations from countries in the Global South where conditions are perhaps more similar to the situation in Europe and north America 50 years ago.

You’re doubtless right that 25 years ago many people were beginning to be aware of the problem. But 30 years ago? 40 years ago?
Your original post said “25 or 30 years ago”. Now you are moving the goalposts to 40. 30 is not all that different from 25. Not sure what the point is of you going back even farther. Yes, at some point way back in past history people were more blind to abuse, not only by the clergy but also by teachers, bosses, next door neighbors, and parents.

Once you go back 30 or 40 years, a lot of people who are active Catholics now were either young children or not even born yet. At some point we all have to start living in “now” and not in “40 years ago” or whatever.

I am not sure what point you’re even trying to make. Anyway, I have to go out, so I will be leaving this thread, good day.

Last edited:
The point that I am making is that the OP thinks that there is no sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in India. My point is that people thought that there was no sexual abuse in the Catholic Church (or any church) in Ireland and the US (etc) at some point in the past, which may be 30 years ago or 40 years ago. Therefore, it may well be that at some point in the future, say, around 20, 30, 40 years from now, we will be seeing a new wave of sexual abuse allegations from south Asia and/or Africa. The conditions in those regions are currently such that allegations are less likely to come out. For example, with regard to the status of women and children in society, people being less educated about sexual violence, priests (and other authority figures) being held in higher esteem, more corruption in law enforcement, greater levels of wealth inequality, lower levels of literacy, etc.

It is easier to hate.
It gives one a reason to ignore and otherwise avoid.
It is very easy to continue feeding into misconceptions and incorrect understandings.

For if a non-Catholic studies the church too closely, they may discover they need to join.
And that may well require giving up on things very dear to them.

This video provides some insight into the matter:

Why Do People Leave Their Childhood Religions? - YouTube

The basic idea is that people tend to trust those who practice what they preach and to view those who don’t (i.e. hypocrites) with suspicion. For religion this mainly applies to parents and religious leaders.

For Catholic Parents who want their kids to be believers, the key is to engage in Credibility Enhancing Displays; not just worshipping but living in accordance with Christ’s teachings.

Last edited:
I’ve known very few people that hate the catholic religion. I know just one or two more that hate the Church itself. I do know a ton that dislike it somewhat or have no interest in it at all. Some are accused of hating the church because they disagree or dislike it but hate is a strong word…too strong to use for everyone that’s left or won’t consider joining. There is a wide difference between, I don’t agree with Mary worship to See, you hate the church!

Of those I’ve known that truly hate the Catholic Church it’s been due to having been Catholic and either discovering the secular history doesn’t line up with church teaching or treatment by priests, Nuns or fellow parishioners…and they really do hate it and have reasons whether you’d agree with their analysis and reasons or not. Most people are just meh on the topic.

Occasionally hear about affairs of priests with women (can be counted in one hand) but child abuse I don’t think I have ever heard. I belong to an Easter Rite which is SOMEWHAT in tact despite the “revolution” that has happened in the church in the West over the years. I have lived in a Western country for sometime and I can tell with an iota of doubt the eastern rite that I belong to and the Latin Rite in the West and somewhat two different worlds. I personally think the moral corruption in the society in general and with in the church is much lesser in my Rite compared to the Western societies , that greatly makes a difference in all these I think

Life’s too short to bother with these things.

Last edited:
but child abuse I don’t think I have ever heard.
I went to Catholic school for K-12 and child abuse took place on a daily basis. The nuns and priests, with a few rare exceptions, were the most miserable and nasty people I have ever known. They had no business being around children, not to mention teaching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back