Why do people watch Oprah?

  • Thread starter Thread starter turtle18
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is she so popular? I am home sick today and was flipping through my channels. She had on a Roman Catholic family with 8 children, 4 of them turned out to be gay. One of the gay ones was an ex-seminarian and when he told his spiritual director he was leaving, the priest told him he would never be happy being gay. One of the other children turned out to be the head of PFLAG.
Oh my ! :eek:

I don’t watch Oprah :o

What’s a PFLAG?

Here’s another good question. 🙂

Why do people watch “reality shows”? :confused:
 
Code:
This is not complaining…this is stating the Truth!
I tried watching Oprah shows to see what is so interesting about them, however I just cudnt watch them anylonger. Well…there were some interesting shows but not enough of them.

I agree with Liza on this:
She is a success story that people love to hear. She is giving, caring, and loving to others. The sad part is that now her fame has so many people sucked in that she is able to start spewing garbage and it’s still seen as all of the above wonderful virtues.
I used to be a huge Oprah fan - but lately she has just totally lost me. The sex column in her magazine is vile, and the anti-Christian trash she is promoting is just an abomination to Christ and His Church.
Sadly - she has the ability to influence many many people simply because of who she is. Or was.
 
She’s completely anti-Catholic and portrayed us as a bunch of backward homophobes. Ironically, she is the one who is not promoting tolerance because in promoting tolerance of everyone’s behavior, she is promoting intolerance of religious beliefs. Obviously she believes in freedom of the press but not freedom of religion.
I am dumbfounded how America is mesmerized by her. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if her weight struggles were the marketing ploy of the century–carefully calculated and designed to give her appeal to the average American woman.
 
Oprah Winfrey vs. the Catholic Church.

will argue that the Catholic Church is the root of all evil. I will do so while feeling guilty and scared, and that guilt and fear, your honor, is exactly why the Catholic Church is the root of all evil. Well, that and a few other things, mostly the boy-[molesting], but also the guilt and fear."
catholicexchange.com/2008/03/15/111876/
 
Oprah Winfrey vs. the Catholic Church.

will argue that the Catholic Church is the root of all evil. I will do so while feeling guilty and scared, and that guilt and fear, your honor, is exactly why the Catholic Church is the root of all evil. Well, that and a few other things, mostly the boy-[molesting], but also the guilt and fear."
catholicexchange.com/2008/03/15/111876/
Hi Shoshana…is this the right link? Lewis Black?
 
She’s completely anti-Catholic and portrayed us as a bunch of backward homophobes. Ironically, she is the one who is not promoting tolerance because in promoting tolerance of everyone’s behavior, she is promoting intolerance of religious beliefs. Obviously she believes in freedom of the press but not freedom of religion.
I am dumbfounded how America is mesmerized by her. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if her weight struggles were the marketing ploy of the century–carefully calculated and designed to give her appeal to the average American woman.
I’m afraid I agree—from what little I’ve seen of her, and about her (one cannot escape The Oprah), she seems to be a dippy New-Agey anti-Catholic type who pats herself on the back for promoting ‘tolerance.’ Tolerance of what? That’s a buzzword for anti-Christian bias.
 
Oprah Winfrey vs. the Catholic Church.

will argue that the Catholic Church is the root of all evil. I will do so while feeling guilty and scared, and that guilt and fear, your honor, is exactly why the Catholic Church is the root of all evil. Well, that and a few other things, mostly the boy-[molesting], but also the guilt and fear."
catholicexchange.com/2008/03/15/111876/
I just read that link you posted.

It’s so humiliating and embarassing when I read and see things like this. Especially when we (Catholics) are talked about really bad. :o
 
Hi Shoshana,

Actually, the Lewis Black thing is a show on Comedy Central in which they made fun of Oprah and the Catholic Church at the same time. That’s what the link was about.

God Bless

Jon Winterburn
 
I really dont know alot about Oprah. I dont watch her show all that much. I only watch a few shows and that is about it. I think like people here in my area watch her because there isnt anything better on TV at that time. The only thing that I really dont like about her and this was pointed out by my father in law was the fact that she didnt have a problem telling of her living situation with Stedman. (sp?) I really dont know the woman good enough to say anything positive or negative about her besides the living situation.
 
Why is she so popular? .
Because she deals with a wide variety of topics that interest people in a relatable way. A few weeks ago there was a show on about animal shelters and she was crying on air. People relate to that.
 
The issue on Oprah’s weight is not that important. It is her way. And i believe it is healthy to avoid overweight.

I watch Oprah because she inspires people who are facing major probs in their lives by using others who are in the same pot of soup and who are willing to help others with their own experiences.

No matter what kind of things she is generous with. she is generous. Watch the show about her kindness in South Africa you will see the happiness she brought to thousands of children who have not known happiness for a longtime and may never have known it for the rest of their lives.
When you open your heart to others it comes back to you many folds;

There are so many ways to look at people but the most important is look at people from a Christian perspective.

thanks
 
She may be generous in a certain way but as far as a Christian perspective, especially a Catholic one, she’s too full of New-Agey feelgood paganism.
 
She may be generous in a certain way but as far as a Christian perspective, especially a Catholic one, she’s too full of New-Agey feelgood paganism.
I used to watch occasionally.

I think Oprah has done some great things for people. She has shared her wealth to help other people.

That being said…I have heard she is in to all this new age nonsense. To me that just says that she is searching…she may have everything she wants materialistically, she may have more money than she ever needs, she may try to fill her self up with the good feeling of helping others…but something is still missing. Granted she is looking in the wrong place for it, and unfortunately because of who she is, many will watch her do it and try it themselves. I don’t think she is a bad person, I think she is a misguided person and searching to fill that void. I don’t think she is intentionally trying to follow “evil”. I think she doesn’t understand. I think a prayer for her would be appropriate.
 
I never said she was evil but she belongs to the majority in this sad age of self-help and self-esteem. I don’t see anything to indicate that she knows there is an Eternal Word and it doesn’t change to fit the times.
 
I’ve seen her show a bit, but I can’t say I’m really informed enough to make a judgement. I could ask why do people watch game shows or soap operas too, because I can’t find the appeal of either of those.

People do seem to find her inspiring, and I know people at my office have been helped in their quest to lose weight with the plan she and her trainer came up with.

IMHO, Americans in general seem to put WAY too much importance on what their favorite celebrity says and does. Make choices and decisions for yourselves! Don’t allow some rich Hollywood actor to make them for you! They aren’t going to take the consequences for you.
 
I never said she was evil but she belongs to the majority in this sad age of self-help and self-esteem. I don’t see anything to indicate that she knows there is an Eternal Word and it doesn’t change to fit the times.
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you said she was evil. My point was that as a person who is searching, my prayer is that she will move on from this nonsense and end up where she should be. She could influence people in the “right” way if and when she finds it. Many people have taken a long and tortuous path to end up right in the Church.
 
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you said she was evil. My point was that as a person who is searching, my prayer is that she will move on from this nonsense and end up where she should be. She could influence people in the “right” way if and when she finds it. Many people have taken a long and tortuous path to end up right in the Church.
Code:
maybe her journey would be from Christian/New Age to Catholicism!😃
 
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you said she was evil. My point was that as a person who is searching, my prayer is that she will move on from this nonsense and end up where she should be. She could influence people in the “right” way if and when she finds it. Many people have taken a long and tortuous path to end up right in the Church.
No, you didn’t imply that—I just wanted to make it clear that I don’t have any evidence that tells me she’s ‘evil’ per se, just sadly misguided, as are many of us these days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top