T
tester
Guest
Emphasis added by tester.No, but** they had the final** say-so.
That’s the point of this entire thread, no?
It seems we have a different “world” view on how God works.
Ultimately, the church councils did not decide if a book was Scripture; **that was decided when the human author was chosen by God to write. **In order to accomplish the end result, including the preservation of His Word through the centuries, God guided the early church councils in their recognition of the canon.
If you want to say that the CC was a humble servant of God and was used to preserve His Word ; that’s fine :
Hardly a Protestant anywhere would have an issue with that.
But to claim the CC “decided” or “without the CC you wouldn’t even have a Bible” is in conflict with Protestant understanding of the Sovereignty of God.
The point is God doesn’t even need your, my, or the CC’s corporation to have His Sovereighn Will be done.
God can use unbelieving leaders like Cyrus (Isaiah 45)
“For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me………I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me,”
Regarding Pharaoh: (Exodus 9:15)
But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.
Regarding Pilate (John 19)
Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?”
Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above…