F
FaithfulAndTrue
Guest
The question is, “Why do Protestants accept the NT canon?” I will start off by clarifying that I don’t pretend to speak on behalf of any denomination but I can speak on behalf of myself as a former Catholic who accepts the NT canon and why I accept it. If my reasons for acceptance aren’t enough to convince you, that’s just fine by me. I’m here to offer my perspective—not to wage some kind of theological battle.
Let me start off by saying that I have no problem acknowledging that councils of church fathers got together to compile what is inspired. What I take exception with are statements like, “The Catholic Church gave us the Bible” as if the Catholic Church has some kind of monopoly on the Word of God. The Word existed from the beginning—before their was anything BUT the Word.
Now, having said that, how else do I personally come to a conclusion about accepting the NT? Well, obviously since none of us were eye witnesses to be able to verify the Truth first hand, we have to start with a baseline of what happened in the life of Christ before we can go very far. That means figuring out which Gospels to accept. It stands to reason in my mind that an eye witness account or one recorded by someone once removed (i.e. an eye witness tells me the story and I write it down) would be the two best types of sources. In addition to that, they all better agree or how can you trust any of them? That leaves us with Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. All other “gospels” were written by others who were much more removed than once and do not completely agree theologically throughout.
Historically, for something to be considered inspired, it generally met three criteria…

It’s also worth noting that Luke wasn’t a very well known individual so it’s not likely that someone would try to pass of their writing as his. It would make a lot more sense to take on the identity of someone much more well known if that was to be the case.
Let me ask you, what criteria do you think the councils used? Because I don’t see it being far off from what I listed above. Clearly the councils recognized Hebrews as being inspired despite its unknown authorship so I’m sure you’ll agree that it was inspired. Well, how do you reconcile it as such then?
Let me start off by saying that I have no problem acknowledging that councils of church fathers got together to compile what is inspired. What I take exception with are statements like, “The Catholic Church gave us the Bible” as if the Catholic Church has some kind of monopoly on the Word of God. The Word existed from the beginning—before their was anything BUT the Word.
Now, having said that, how else do I personally come to a conclusion about accepting the NT? Well, obviously since none of us were eye witnesses to be able to verify the Truth first hand, we have to start with a baseline of what happened in the life of Christ before we can go very far. That means figuring out which Gospels to accept. It stands to reason in my mind that an eye witness account or one recorded by someone once removed (i.e. an eye witness tells me the story and I write it down) would be the two best types of sources. In addition to that, they all better agree or how can you trust any of them? That leaves us with Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. All other “gospels” were written by others who were much more removed than once and do not completely agree theologically throughout.
That’s a good question that I might also pose to you. What I will say is that a something is either inspired or it’s not. Someone declaring it inspired doesn’t make it so and someone declaring it not to be inspired doesn’t make it not so.Indeed. And how did a person discern that Peter’s letters and not the Epistle of Barnabas was inspired?
And, does Scripture tell us that one had to be an eyewitness or “close disciple of the eye witness” to be considered inspired?
Historically, for something to be considered inspired, it generally met three criteria…
- The writer was a prophet or an apostle or had direct access to one.
- It couldn’t contradict writings that were already considered scripture (OT or NT).
- It had to be widely accepted.
Give me a break.Or are you promoting a tradition not found in Scripture?
I’m sure that you’re aware that Acts is addressed to “Theophilus” just like the Gospel of Luke (Lk 1:3 & Acts 1:1). I don’t know about you but that’s pretty compelling evidence to me. Additionally, many of the early church father’s (e.g. Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Origen, Eusebius, Jerome) agreed that he was the writer.Based on what? Firstly, where does Acts say it was written by Luke?
It’s also worth noting that Luke wasn’t a very well known individual so it’s not likely that someone would try to pass of their writing as his. It would make a lot more sense to take on the identity of someone much more well known if that was to be the case.
Puhhhlease. Let’s not try to put words in each other’s mouth. You and I both know that Mark and Luke were not eye witnesses. The author of Hebrews was not a witness (Heb 2:3). And Paul is arguably not a witness depending on how you want to define the word.Again, is this a tradition you’re following that Scriptures had to be written by an eyewitness?
Or do you have a chapter and verse from Scripture that says this is required?
Well ultimately the author is the Holy Spirit if it is inspired. However, the human element does matter. For example, if the Holy Spirit inspires me to write an epistle today, who’s going to believe that it was inspired by the Holy Spirit to the point of it being widely accepted as having the same authority as scripture?Well! It sounds as if you’re saying that authorship doesn’t really matter?![]()
lol, OK, now you’re really exaggerating what I said just to be childishly hostile. I’d appreciate if we could keep the conversation on the adult level.These are arbitrary criteria you’ve established:
-must be an eyewitness
-but if we don’t even know who wrote it, it’s ok, 'cause we’re going to assume he was an eyewitness 'cause he says things that others said.
![]()
Let me ask you, what criteria do you think the councils used? Because I don’t see it being far off from what I listed above. Clearly the councils recognized Hebrews as being inspired despite its unknown authorship so I’m sure you’ll agree that it was inspired. Well, how do you reconcile it as such then?