Why do Protestants say Catholicism leads to hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SebMurphy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It surely doesn’t say “all over Scripture” that belief is all that matters and nothing we do does.
😛
Scripture leans quite heavily in the faith alone catagory Tef…
: "Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life.** He who believes in me will live, even though he dies” **(John 11:25)

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned
Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Jhn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and** believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life**, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Jhn 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and** he that believeth on me shall never thirst. **
Jhn 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jhn 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Jhn 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Jhn 11:26 And whosoever liveth **and believeth in me shall never die. **
Jhn 12:46 I am come a light into the world, **that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. **
Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the **power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; **to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not,** but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness**.

Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. **
Rom 10:4 For Christ [is] the end of the
law for righteousness to every one that believeth. **
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. **
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and
he that believeth on him shall not be confo**unded.

1Jo 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
 
Fair enough—I don’t have any evidence that most Protestants believe Catholics are going to Hell for being devout Catholics.

A fair share of fundamentalists do indeed believe this, I think you’ll grant.

It’s just that here in the Bible Belt we get more than our fair share of those folks!
Indeed. Not all Protestants believe it, but clearly some do. However, they are not following Christ’s teaching in doing so.

Catholics have faith that Jesus Christ is Our Lord and Savior. We believe that we must rely completely on His grace, not on our feelings or works, as I showed from the Catechism [2005]. So, on what basis could someone who follows Christ’s teaching tell a Catholic (or any Christian who has faith) that they are going to hell?
 
Indeed. Not all Protestants believe it, but clearly some do. However, they are not following Christ’s teaching in doing so.

Catholics have faith that Jesus Christ is Our Lord and Savior. We believe that we must rely completely on His grace, not on our feelings or works, as I showed from the Catechism [2005]. So, on what basis could someone who follows Christ’s teaching tell a Catholic (or any Christian who has faith) that they are going to hell?
Define what you believe faith is?
 
You post does NOT say what YOU think “faith is”
Here is what I believe faith is…

“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Heb. 11:1).
Interesting, so I quoted the Catechism which is a statement of our Catholic belief - which I wholeheartedly agree with, but you complain that it isn’t what I think. Then, to state what YOU think, you quote Scripture, which we both believe is true.

I agree with the quote from Hebrews that “faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Now, do you believe that faith is a one time static state? Or, can someone’s faith become “weak” or “strong?”

The reason I ask, is that we pray for an increase in faith…IIRC, I prayed for that as a non-Catholic as well.

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
**162 **Faith is an entirely free gift that God makes to man. We can lose this priceless gift, as St. Paul indicated to St. Timothy: “Wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting conscience, certain persons have made shipwreck of their faith.” 1 Tim 1:18-19]
To live, grow and persevere in the faith until the end we must nourish it with the word of God; we must beg the Lord to increase our faith [Cf. *Mk

9:24; Lk 17:5; 22:32]; it must be “working through charity,” abounding in hope, and rooted in the faith of the Church. Gal 5:6; Rom 15:13; cf. Jas 2:14-26]
 
Interesting, so I quoted the Catechism which is a statement of our Catholic belief - which I wholeheartedly agree with, but you complain that it isn’t what I think. Then, to state what YOU think, you quote Scripture, which we both believe is true.

I agree with the quote from Hebrews that “faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Now, do you believe that faith is a one time static state? Or, can someone’s faith become “weak” or “strong?”

The reason I ask, is that we pray for an increase in faith…IIRC, I prayed for that as a non-Catholic as well.
Sure it’s one of the many things I pray for is for the Lord to continue in **His **sanctifying me which in my case is evident in a stronger faith I tend to live my WHOLE life trying to make every decision GODLY, that being said I am no more righteous, in the sense of satisfying a just God, in other words, I cannot achieve a righteousness that satisfies **His **requirement, still He will make me more and more holy… We receive right standing with God by accepting the fact that Christ obeyed the law perfectly for us. We follow Christ’s example because his death has given us right standing with God.
 
Yes it must. So where does this “merit” notion you’ve injected come in?

You haven’t addressed Matthew or John either.

Until you do you’re not taking Scripture as a whole, but cherrypicking it to support the manmade tradition you favor.
Merit comes from the Council of Trent and the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
CANON XXXII.-If any one saith, that the good works of one that is justified are in such manner the gifts of God, as that they are not also the good merits of him that is justified; or, that the said justified, by the good works which he performs through the grace of God and the merit of Jesus Christ, whose [Page 49] living member he is, does not truly merit increase of grace, eternal life, and the attainment of that eternal life,-if so be, however, that he depart in grace,-and also an increase of glory; let him be anathema.
2010 Since the initiative belongs to God in the order of grace, no one can merit the initial grace of forgiveness and justification, at the beginning of conversion. Moved by the Holy Spirit and by charity, we can then merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for our sanctification, for the increase of grace and charity, and for the attainment of eternal life. Even temporal goods like health and friendship can be merited in accordance with God’s wisdom. These graces and goods are the object of Christian prayer. Prayer attends to the grace we need for meritorious actions.
 
Baptism by desire? I think you mean accepting Jesus the Christ as his personal Saviour. Just like what I did, furthermore I profess boldly my faith…BUT the ONLY thing sufficient for my salvation is Christs work.

Your wrong, read voice of the martyrs…
Regardless as a born again believer at times I suffer because of my faith, we are told to take joy in suffering for His sake.
It appears that at least a couple of church fathers felt that the thief was saved by faith alone.
  1. For the name of Faith is in the form of speech one, but has two distinct senses. For there is one kind of faith, the dogmatic, involving an assent of the soul on some particular point: and it is profitable to the soul, as the Lord says: He that hears My words, and believes Him that sent Me, has everlasting life, and comes not into judgment: and again, He that believes in the Son is not judged, but has passed from death unto life. Oh the great loving-kindness of God! For the righteous were many years in pleasing Him: but what they succeeded in gaining by many years of well-pleasing, this Jesus now bestows on you in a single hour. For if you shall believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, and that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved, and shall be transported into Paradise by Him who brought in thither the robber. And doubt not whether it is possible; for He who on this sacred Golgotha saved the robber after one single hour of belief, the same shall save you also on your believing -Cyril of Jerusalem (Catechetical Lectures, Lecture 5, Paragraph 10)
It remains for us who are trying to affirm everything the apostle says, and to do so in the proper order, to inquire who is justified by faith alone, apart from works. If an example is required, I think it must suffice to mention the thief on the cross, who asked Christ to save him and was told: “Truly. This day you will be with me in paradise…A man is justified by faith. The works of the law can make no contribution to this. Where there is no faith which might justify the believer, even if there are works of the law these are not based on the foundation of faith. Even if they are good in themselves they cannot justify the one who does them, because faith is lacking, and faith is the mark of those who are justified by God.-Origen (Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans Gerald Bray, ed., Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, New Testament VI: Romans (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1998), p. 100)
 
Sure it’s one of the many things I pray for is for the Lord to continue in **His **sanctifying me which in my case is evident in a stronger faith I tend to live my WHOLE life trying to make every decision GODLY, that being said I am no more righteous, in the sense of satisfying a just God, in other words, I cannot achieve a righteousness that satisfies **His **requirement, still He will make me more and more holy… We receive right standing with God by accepting the fact that Christ obeyed the law perfectly for us. We follow Christ’s example because his death has given us right standing with God.
The last two sentence are why Catholics believe justification and salvation are intertwined. “Accepting the fact that Christ obeyed the law perfectly for us” includes “following Christ’s example.” I don’t believe that one follows the other. Regardless, since we both (Catholic and non-Catholic) have faith, are we not both justified?
 
Fair enough—I don’t have any evidence that most Protestants believe Catholics are going to Hell for being devout Catholics.

A fair share of fundamentalists do indeed believe this, I think you’ll grant.

It’s just that here in the Bible Belt we get more than our fair share of those folks!
Yes, I know. And I grew up there, so I should be more understanding. The problem is that I get so tired of everything being squeezed into a fundamentalist-vs.-Catholic mode. I don’t think this gets at the real, substantive issues. I was so happy to get out of that world and be in a situation where we weren’t just all throwing stereotypes at each other. I don’t take into sufficient account what it must be like to be a Catholic living in the fundamentalist culture I know so well.

Sorry if this sounds patronizing. I’m really trying to extend an olive branch here!

Edwin
 
The goats believed in their hearts - they sang out LORD, LORD all the day
Singing out “Lord, Lord” does not equate to believing in your heart.

Clearly no one who believes in Jesus Christ in the sense St. Paul is talking about will be damned. And just as clearly anyone who believes in Jesus Christ in that sense will behave in a certain way. That does not take away free will. You can always choose to turn away from Christ and deliberately give yourself to sin. That is to stop believing in Christ in the Pauline sense, though you are left with the “faith of demons” to which St. James refers.

Edwin
 
The last two sentence are why Catholics believe justification and salvation are intertwined. “Accepting the fact that Christ obeyed the law perfectly for us” includes “following Christ’s example.” I don’t believe that one follows the other. Regardless, since we both (Catholic and non-Catholic) have faith, are we not both justified?
I’d say if you have faith you are justified but according to trent and the newer catechism there are a laundry list of necessities to acheive the what I would call the * grace of justification*

And that is the intertwining of sanctification and justification I have been speaking of all along.
 
I’d say if you have faith you are justified but according to trent and the newer catechism there are a laundry list of necessities to acheive the what I would call the grace of justification

And that is the intertwining of sanctification and justification I have been speaking of all along.
Ah, but here is the rub. I am asking why any non-Catholic believes a Catholic isn’t justified or saved. Since a non-Catholic doesn’t believe in the Catholic definitions of justification, “Trent and the newer Catechism” shouldn’t come into play, should they?

In other words, Catholics have faith, but they also believe that much more is required. If a non-Catholic doesn’t believe that more is required, then they should just say that Catholics are doing things which are unnecessary…not that their religion is leading them to hell.
 
Singing out “Lord, Lord” does not equate to believing in your heart.

Clearly no one who believes in Jesus Christ in the sense St. Paul is talking about will be damned. And just as clearly anyone who believes in Jesus Christ in that sense will behave in a certain way. That does not take away free will. You can always choose to turn away from Christ and deliberately give yourself to sin. That is to stop believing in Christ in the Pauline sense, though you are left with the “faith of demons” to which St. James refers.

Edwin
OK, what is the Pauline understanding of faith? Are you saying that giving into sin means you are turning away from faith? If so, I would agree with you.

For example, I have a hypothetical friend who has been married for over 30 years and has three children. He left his (lovely and faithful) wife for a younger woman with a child, who also left her husband, and is living with her. He still goes to mass every Sunday and stands in front of the church and sings. He doesn’t think he is doing anything wrong. He still thinks “Jesus saves.” Only God can read hearts aside, objectively the man is a sinner - mortally so. Has he turned away from his faith? I would say yes.

We are all sinners, but we must turn away from sin and repent. We sin again. The little sins don’t damn us, but the mortal ones do.
 
Teflon,

I appreciate your substantive response here, and I apologize for my angry language earlier.
What? I don’t believe in anything resembling a “merit” salvation. Nor does the Catholic Church. How could we, when “the wages of sin is death” and we are all sinners?

So why do SyCarl and others claim we do?
For the very simple reason that the Council of Trent uses the word “merit,” and many other Catholic sources do as well. It is not something made up by Protestants. I understand why you are saying this, because Protestants so often caricature this word and don’t bother trying to understand what it means in context. But there are real issues here. At the risk of reopening our old can of worms, the phrase “treasury of merits” used throughout Catholic tradition is deeply problematic for Protestants. This is not stuff we made up.

Furthermore, you chose to respond to SyCarl’s post not by saying that you didn’t believe in merit, but by saying (in post 239), “I would think the words of Jesus would be dispositive on that score.” I can understand that you thought you were responding to the general issue of whether works are necessary. But you were specifically responding to the word “merit,” and you can’t reasonably blame me for answering you on that basis.
A complete dodge. Some Protestants clearly believe in works resulting in reward, whether in this life (prosperity gospel) or the next (“jewels in the crown”). Can’t blame Catholics for that, so move along, right?
No, since that’s not what I’m “blaming” Catholics for, or what I was “blaming” them for in the indulgence thread. Again, I think you are responding to me as if I were a fundamentalist. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the proposition that works are rewarded. My issues with Catholic teaching are much more specific than that. (I do have a problem with the “jewels in the crown” teaching insofar as it’s separated from salvation entirely–and so, I would imagine, do you!)
Yes, of course it is, which is why I brought it up, and why it is relevant to this discussion. For how can those fundamentalists claim that Catholics are going to hell because the works we do somehow indicate a lack of faith, while simultaneously engaging in “additional” works themselves to show the “fruit” of their faith?
That’s the point!
It may be the point you are interested in arguing. But in that case why respond to SyCarl or to me? Why not respond to these fundamentalists who exercise you so much? Why impose that discussion on people who are trying to have a different kind of discussion? (I may be wrong about SyCarl, but he doesn’t strike me as a fundamentalist and his post was in and of itself quite reasonable.)
It’s not only not obfuscation, but you’ve managed to completely mischaracterize my previous point, which was simply that someone like yourself who loathes the practice of indulgences ought to abhor similar practices among fundamentalists. So why don’t you?
I have explained that they are not similar in the points that interest *me. *And surely I ought to be allowed to decide which aspects of Catholic doctrine I’m objecting to? I’m not objecting to the idea that works are rewarded. I don’t know how many times I have to say this before you believe me!
The question is one of your consistency. You have tried on a variety of distinctions now, but have yet to explain fully why you see these things to be so different. You know why I think you make such distinctions. So prove me wrong.
If you choose to make malicious suppositions about your separated brothers, it is not their responsibility to prove you wrong. Rather, it is your responsibility to show how I am inconsistent, which you don’t even try to do. I really don’t understand how you think I’m inconsistent. I am interested in hearing an argument to that effect.
I’m not. I’m calling you on a bogus argument you’ve made in support of the notion that Catholics believe in a “works (merit) salvation”. We do not. If you agree that we do not, so state, clearly, please.
The phrase “works salvation” is so vague as to be almost meaningless. I do not believe that either Catholics or Orthodox or any other major Trinitarian Christian tradition hold to a salvation by works apart from grace. I believe that the question of the proper relationship between faith and works is a complex one on which various Christian traditions hold a number of different views, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. I’m not convinced that the word “merit” is the best word to use to describe how our works are related to their reward. I think it lends itself to misunderstanding. However, I do not think that this is a church-dividing issue or that the Gospel is at stake. We agree that we are saved only by grace; that initial justification cannot be merited in any sense; and that saving faith is a faith that works through love. As far as I’m concerned, everything else is nuance. But nuance is important.
 
Then why are you so reticent to condemn such practices as “jewels in the crown”?
Because I can’t see what’s wrong with it, except for the overly sharp distinction between reward and salvation. (In other words, I don’t see it as a form of works salvation–I think it’s a lame attempt to avoid ascribing final salvation to works in the sense that Scripture does. And as I’ve said many times, I don’t think indulgences are works salvation either. You appear to be so used to arguing with people who make this charge that you see it when it is not there.) I am happy to condemn other fundamentalist doctrines, such as the idea that a person can die without charity and go to heaven, or the related doctrine of OSAS, or the frequently expressed dictum that a person can be good and go to hell (they probably mean that no one who doesn’t believe in Jesus is good, but that’s often not what they say). But I think “jewels in the crown” is fairly innocuous.
I am not angry with fundamentalists
I apologize for the foolish attempt at psychological explanation. But I don’t understand why you keep injecting fundamentalism into this discussion, given that neither of us is a fundamentalist.

Also, if the “fundamentalists” that you have encountered are Pentecostal Holiness, then I’m less likely to condemn them. Many of my objections apply primarily to Baptists and quasi-Baptists. The abominable prosperity gospel, however, is much more characteristic of Pentecostals than of fundamentalists (though in my experience not generally of rural Southern “Church of God” Pentecostals, who come from the Holiness tradition–but perhaps it is penetrating those circles).

Edwin
 
Smart evangelics understand exactly what you believe…
that your justification can NOT be seperated from sanctification and sanctification takes an effort on the part of the believer…ie works
Martin, Smartness has very little to do with a system that consistently makes divisions doctrinally, semantically, and socially where none exist. Justification is a result of Jesus’s finished work of atonement. It is part and parcel of Catholic soteriology. Salvation is by works alone as James states; salvation is by grace as Paul states. Allow Sacred Scripture to teach you; allow Sacred Tradition to guide you to a biblical understanding of salvation. The understanding that the Apostles held; Jesus taught; the Holy Catholic Church still teaches. Do not continue to teach the half gospel of Protestantism.
 
Martin, Smartness has very little to do with a system that consistently makes divisions doctrinally, semantically, and socially where none exist. Justification is a result of Jesus’s finished work of atonement. It is part and parcel of Catholic soteriology. Salvation is by works alone as James states; salvation is by grace as Paul states. Allow Sacred Scripture to teach you; allow Sacred Tradition to guide you to a biblical understanding of salvation. The understanding that the Apostles held; Jesus taught; the Holy Catholic Church still teaches. Do not continue to teach the half gospel of Protestantism.
👍
Only one thing Tammy, Jesus’ atonement is perfect, but not complete until WE participate in it. (Eucharist).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top