It doesn’t need to be because verse 34 shows that the works can NOT be meritorius as you suggest…rather predestined
Today’s reading is from John 21’s farewell discourse to the Apostles. He asks Peter three times, “Do you love me?” (counterbalancing Peter’s three denials) In response to Peter’s “You know I do” Jesus answers
Feed my sheep
Tend my sheep
Feed my lambs
He asked Peter to DO something. If we love Jesus, we must DO something.
The Holy Spirit has guided me to interpret this passage as one of many passages that point to the primacy of Peter.
You can argue all the theology and semantics you want, but it boils down to:
We are saved by God’s Grace Alone
We are free to choose or reject God’s Grace.
Choosing God’s Grace means LIVING our Faith, not giving it lip service. Fath is a verb.
All the rest of the Bible tells us HOW we must LIVE our faith: Eucharist, Baptism, obey the Ten Commandments, the greatest being LOVE. What is love?
I’d still like to see why “the many” limits the number of people Jesus would like to save.
I will pray for “the many” people who do not know Jesus Christ. Does this mean I only pray for SOME who do not know Jesus? No, I pray for ALL.
Well, anyway, that’s where the HS has led me.
