Okay—make an argument and I’ll produce the counter-argument.
**I will, but at a later time - I have a headache!**Do I need to make your argument for you, too?
**Arrogance. **What inquiries have you made? You simply assert that “Catholics teach…” and provide no evidence.
**I have only opened with that line after Catholics have told me that Catholics teach that, or to state what I believe Catholics have told me that they believe. **
I don’t think you meant to use “incisively”, which is usually a compliment. I have no idea what the latter portion refers to.
Hey Pal, that arrogance surfacing again. Yes, I did mean to say incisive - cutting! I did n’t say lucid or insightful.
I have no idea what your motives may be. I simply noted that for someone accusing others of evasiveness, while simultaneously demanding a response to whatever doctrine you hew to, you have a profile listing your religion as Protestant. If you’ve stated openly which community you belong to, I’ve missed it. So correct me. My “colleagues” can then address more specific arguments to you.
I’m the one that you had already decided was a Charismatic Rally attending Protestant. The reason I wrote Protestant on my profile was that I was being honest. I am an Evangelical and attend a small church in Coventry England. We are privileged to enjoy fellowship with Calvinist and Arminian brethren, Congregationists and Methodists as well as Independent Baptists and Anglican.
You might want to pan up to those long passages of Catechism and Scripture I’ve quoted.
I will try.
I’ve made a number of arguments and counterarguments in this thread.
**Not one without your .50 cal scathing attacks on the person venturing to question Catholic doctrine. **
Here’s one:
- You and MFM keep misstating Catholic teaching on salvation and works.
Possibly yes, deliberately No.
2. The Catechism of the Catholic Church is the official compendium of Catholic teaching.
**Thank you for pointing this out.**3. I posted the complete and relevant Catechism passages which clearly refute your and MFM’s claims as to what the Church teaches (e.g., that grace is a prerequisite for good works)
**Claiming what the church teaches or what scripture teaches?**4. Therefore, you and MFM have misstated Catholic teaching on salvation and works.
Thank you for clarifying it.
There are plenty of dead Germans who’d argue that point if they could.
I don’t doubt it.
Calvin himself burned Michael Servetus at the stake in a display of Reformer tolerance.
**Yes, thats right. Calvin did have a hand in his murder. I sympathise strongly with the Step children of the Reformation. Those that the Protestant Reformers also called heretics and persecuted. They lent great impetus to the Reformation and were extremely disappointed when the Sacralist Reformers joined with the civil powers. I am a Non - Conformist, in your mind I’m probably a double heretic. **** I do however believe in the Trinity, Nicene Creed remember.**Luther called for the annihilation of 100,000 German peasants in the Peasants War, and followed up with “On the Jews and Their Lies”, a pamphlet which directly led to anti-Jewish pogroms and proved so vile and persistent William L. Shirer referenced its influence in “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich”.
Yes, sadly Luther was at one stage Anti - Semitic. I believe characteristically he also tried to protect them at another stage.
Martin Gilbert in his epic Holocaust also cites Luther’s pamphlet. The Vatican itself apologised for its passive role in the holocaust a la Cardinal Pacelli / Pius XIIOf course, “Puritan” has become synonymous with intolerance, violence, and fanaticism for good historical reasons as well, one example of which is the Salem Witch Trials.
Etc, etc.
**I did not mean to mention the persecutions and only did so in anger after you had accused me and my forefathers (incidentally my Grandad is Catholic) of cruelly oppressing my brethren. It seems the same tealeaves that told you I was a Charismatic also said I am a ruthless oppressor of the weak. I apologise unreservedly for my lack of self control. **
Read Eamon Duffy’s “The Stripping of the Altars” if you’d like some examples of Protestant intolerance and persecution.