Why do we "care" that Mary was always a virgin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LemonAndLime
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear friends. I see that You are all very well educated and know as much as I do. I want get in to a debate over this topic. As I told,to someone,I serve The Church,and that means that I can,and will,be wrong once in a while. In this case I am not wrong. My blessed friends,read The Bible,Mt.12:46 and also Mt.12:48-50 because it is a very important point. You know “your Latin” good and that is a great blessing. However,it is no point,no reason,in trying to find things that does not exists. Many great books have been written about what happened close to 2000 years ago,but no translation,no “greater” wisdom,take the truth from The Bible. The Bible is The Book The Church follows,and so should all parish members do. I know from all the years I have behind me with The Church that as St.Paul wrote,“all is allowed,but not necessary” and that is what all You,brothers and sisters in Christ understand. I hope I have not offended anyone. God bless You on the narrow path to heaven,and I pray that You will understand why I wrote this to all of You. Now this topic ends on my part,but please continue with Your interesting debate,not forgetting that wisdom comes from understanding,not reading.
 
Dear friend,according to The Bible Jesus had at least brothers. Our Blessed Virgin was a virgin only before giving birth to Jesus. You will find more in The Bible. God bless.
Dear friends. I see that You are all very well educated and know as much as I do. I want get in to a debate over this topic. As I told,to someone,I serve The Church,and that means that I can,and will,be wrong once in a while. In this case I am not wrong.
Actually, in this case, you *are *wrong. Our Blessed Mother was – and still is – a virgin. The following is something I came across years ago, but (several computer upgrades later) I have lost track of the original link:

There are only four brothers of Jesus named in the Gospels: **Matthew 13:55 ** “Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?”

**Mark 6:2-3 ** - “Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James, and Joses, and Judas, and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?”

Let’s begin with James. There are two men named James among the disciples. One, of course, is the brother of John and the son of Zebedee. This cannot be him then. So, this is the other James, called in Scripture James the less: Mark 15:40: “There were also women looking on afar off: among whom were Mary Magdalene, and ** Mary the mother of James the less, and of Joseph,** and Salome.” (emphasis added)
So James is indeed the son of a woman named Mary. Not only that, but Joseph is his brother. That’s two of the four, right? Then, in Matthew, reciting the names of the twelve: Matt 10:3: “…'James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddeus.” (emphasis added)
This too is talking of James the less, as the other James, son of Zebedee, is spoken of in the previous verse. It is NOT a trick or really that hard! * Alphaeus* is this James’ father, not Joseph, the husband of Mary, mother of the Lord.

Now go to John also speaking of those witnessing the Crucifixion: John 19:25: “Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother (Mary) and His mothers sister, *** Mary the wife of Cleophas***, and * Mary Magdalene*.” (emphasis added)
Look up John 19:25 at blueletterbible.org/ and click the ‘C’ icon (for the Strong’s Concordance), then click the Strong’s number for the name Cleophas. It comes up “father of James the less, the husband of Mary the sister of the mother of Jesus.”

Did you get that? That Mary, who was the mother of James the less, and of Joseph, from Mark 15:40, is the wife of Cleophas, the father of James the less, and she is called the ‘sister’ of Our Lord’s mother - Mary!

So, two of the four ‘brothers’ have been identified as the children of parents other than Joseph and the Virgin Mary. Of the brothers named, that still leaves Jude and Simon. Next, Jude: Acts 1:13 ** "…James, the son of Alphaeus , and Simon Zelo’tes, and ** Jude the brother of James…" (emphasis added)
There goes Jude out of the mix! *** Matter of fact, Jude says the same in his own epistle: Jude 1:1 "Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ *** and brother of James…" (emphasis added)
Lastly, Simon. Simon, called the Zealot, is identified as coming from Cana, not Nazareth as were Joseph, Mary and the Christ! Luke 6:15 "and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and ** Simon who was called the Zealot
," (emphasis added)

Mark 3:18 “Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and ** Simon the Cananaean**…” (emphasis added)

Matt 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene. (emphasis added)
Simon is a Cananean, while Jesus is a Nazarene!

We see that Simon the Zealot being from Cana, and a ‘brethren’ or ‘brother’ of the Christ. Let’s go to John’s Gospel, chapter 2. Mary and Our Lord are invited to a wedding there! So, close business associates, maybe, of Joseph from the carpentry trade, or more likely - family, or brethren, relatives, are having this wedding! Like, maybe the Holy Family had actual kinfolk in Cana, be they cousins, in-laws, nephews, aunts, uncles, all of which are routinely called ‘brethren’!

Remember what Mary said to the servants? She told them to ‘Do as He says.’

Think about that a second? What would give this humble woman from Nazareth any position to so speak to the servants of someone else in an entirely different town, at their wedding? The simplest and most easily understood answer would be – she is a family relation to those giving the wedding feast…

So Simon is from Cana, and a ‘brother’ of the Lord! He’s not a sibling though, but very likely related. And James, Joseph and Jude all have the same father and mother, and it is not Joseph and the Virgin Mary, but their mother is named Mary and called the sister of Jesus’ mother Mary. Even here ‘sister’ may not mean blood sibling, or we have two sisters with the same name in the same family.
 
Dear friends,as I told You I will not get in to a debate about this issue. I however must correct You,please read Mt.1:24-25.
Our Blessed Virgin is a virgin in a Biblical view. I see that You are not looking for the truth but to show Your knowledge and how much You have been reading. You miss the point because You are seeking for my mistake. The only thing that matters is that Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ STILL BEING A VIRGIN. What happened after that does NOT change anything. She is a Virgin,and will always be,but only when it comes to Jesus. I feel humble in front of Your knowledge,but what You need to learn is to be wrong. That is one of the first lessons I did learn,to be wrong,and admit it. To be humble is a important thing,and it includes the fact that one will be wrong. You should read from The Catechism what The Church is teaching. When You understand that,You can say that You know something. To compare Gospels and looking for what is different is not learning,it is trying to know something that does not exist.
During Virgin Marys life She did not sin,says The Church,and so do I. She was married,and having children in a marriage is not a sin. Sometimes it is best to read what is written,not reading what someone wish would be written. God bless You all.
 
Dear friends,as I told You I will not get in to a debate about this issue. I however must correct You,please read Mt.1:24-25.
Our Blessed Virgin is a virgin in a Biblical view. I see that You are not looking for the truth but to show Your knowledge and how much You have been reading. You miss the point because You are seeking for my mistake. The only thing that matters is that Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ STILL BEING A VIRGIN. What happened after that does NOT change anything. She is a Virgin,and will always be,but only when it comes to Jesus. I feel humble in front of Your knowledge,but what You need to learn is to be wrong. That is one of the first lessons I did learn,to be wrong,and admit it. To be humble is a important thing,and it includes the fact that one will be wrong. You should read from The Catechism what The Church is teaching. When You understand that,You can say that You know something. To compare Gospels and looking for what is different is not learning,it is trying to know something that does not exist.
During Virgin Marys life She did not sin,says The Church,and so do I. She was married,and having children in a marriage is not a sin. Sometimes it is best to read what is written,not reading what someone wish would be written. God bless You all.
May I tell you what this verse means according to the teaching of the Church. The evangelist is concerned to EMPHASIZE that Joseph is not responsible for the conception of Jesus. The greek word translated UNTIL does NOT IMPLY normal marital conduct after Jesus’ birth nor does it exclude it.

So what I am saying is that does not say that the blessed did or did not have a sexual relationship with Joseph. That is very important.

Now with that said we must go on to what Tradition and scripture DOES say.

Now if you read carefully it says the virgin shall bear A son. Now it says A singular. It does not say the virgin shall bear children, or many sons.

Also let me show you something very important that I have shown before but you may have missed. Think about it, why was Mary so upset when the angel told her she would conceive a Son and name him Jesus? Why would she ask HOW? Simply because in those days it was normal for a women to marry a older Man if she was to give up her life for our Lord and stay a virgin. Mary was chosen from the moment of her conception to remain pure for our Lord. She made a vow before she married Joseph to God to remain true and pure to God.

Now I appreciate what you are saying and I partly agree with you that yes the main objective is that our Blessed Mother was a Virgin when she conceived Jesus by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

But I also partly disagree with you that her remaining a virgin is not importatant. It is important. Because she was without Sin, and was never had relations with any man and remained pure and kept the vow she made to our Lord. That is very important to us, and I hope you can appreciate how we are very proud of her and must defend her honor.
 
Dear friend. My answer was short for a reason. Long answers,in my experience,leads to misunderstanding very often. And I think I am a bit more Catholic then You,but that does not matter. I see from Your answer that You know much,and have read to really learn,and that I see as a effort worth a big “well done”. However,it is not always a question about how much You know but all about how You use the information You have. People in need of help and answers does not care about what You know but what You can do. As a advice I once got,which I pass over to You,“don’t ask why,ask how”. Keep on reading and learning. God bless You.
You are mistaken. Short answers lead to misunderstandings due to incompleteness and insufficiency. Furthermore, perhaps you should dial back the airs of superiority just a bit. “I think I ma a bit more Catholic than you.” Not exactly the most humble (or charitable) thing to say.
 
Dear friends. I see that You are all very well educated and know as much as I do. I want get in to a debate over this topic. As I told,to someone,I serve The Church,and that means that I can,and will,be wrong once in a while. In this case I am not wrong. My blessed friends,read The Bible,Mt.12:46 and also Mt.12:48-50 because it is a very important point. You know “your Latin” good and that is a great blessing. However,it is no point,no reason,in trying to find things that does not exists. Many great books have been written about what happened close to 2000 years ago,but no translation,no “greater” wisdom,take the truth from The Bible. The Bible is The Book The Church follows,and so should all parish members do. I know from all the years I have behind me with The Church that as St.Paul wrote,“all is allowed,but not necessary” and that is what all You,brothers and sisters in Christ understand. I hope I have not offended anyone. God bless You on the narrow path to heaven,and I pray that You will understand why I wrote this to all of You. Now this topic ends on my part,but please continue with Your interesting debate,not forgetting that wisdom comes from understanding,not reading.
Christianity is not a Religion based on a book. Christianity is based on a Person, the Person of Jesus Christ.
 
I hear it a lot “Ever Virgin” - why did Mary never have children after Jesus? Why wouldn’t she?

If she didn’t and never had intercourse with Joseph after Jesus’ birth, why is it important that she was always a virgin? Is virginity that special, that its better to be a virgin?

I ask this because a friend asked me “Why do Christians go on about Mary being a virgin so much? Doesn’t imply that women having sex is bad, and virginity is better?”
Mark
 
She was married,and having children in a marriage is not a sin. Sometimes it is best to read what is written,not reading what someone wish would be written. God bless You all.
Touching the Ark of the Covenant IS a sin. Just ask Uzziah.
 
To be humble is a important thing,and it includes the fact that one will be wrong. You should read from The Catechism what The Church is teaching. When You understand that,You can say that You know something. . .
Perhaps you missed this part of the Catechism, then?
Mary - “ever-virgin”
499 The deepening of faith in the virginal motherhood led the Church to confess Mary’s real and perpetual virginity even in the act of giving birth to the Son of God made man.154 In fact, Christ’s birth "did not diminish his mother’s virginal integrity but sanctified it."155 and so the liturgy of the Church celebrates Mary as Aeiparthenos, the “Ever-virgin”.156
500 Against this doctrine the objection is sometimes raised that the Bible mentions brothers and sisters of Jesus.157 The Church has always understood these passages as not referring to other children of the Virgin Mary. In fact James and Joseph, “brothers of Jesus”, are the sons of another Mary, a disciple of Christ, whom St. Matthew significantly calls “the other Mary”.158 They are close relations of Jesus, according to an Old Testament expression.159
501 Jesus is Mary’s only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: "The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother’s love."160
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P1K.HTM
 
Dear friends. I was wrong,and I am not ashame to admit it,in fact I am proud to be wrong,not because it make You,my learned friends,be right,but because it make me remember to be even more humble.
 
Dear friends. I was wrong,and I am not ashame to admit it,in fact I am proud to be wrong,not because it make You,my learned friends,be right,but because it make me remember to be even more humble.
May God bless you! Thank you for your example to us.

In Christ,
Pete
 
Dear friends. I was wrong,and I am not ashame to admit it,in fact I am proud to be wrong,not because it make You,my learned friends,be right,but because it make me remember to be even more humble.
Thank you for your example of humble receptivity to the Faith of the Church.
 
Dear friends. I was wrong,and I am not ashame to admit it,in fact I am proud to be wrong,not because it make You,my learned friends,be right,but because it make me remember to be even more humble.
Yours is a tough example to follow.
I wished everyone in conflict with church tradition could do the same.

You are truly honorable.
 
Dear friends. I was wrong,and I am not ashame to admit it,in fact I am proud to be wrong,not because it make You,my learned friends,be right,but because it make me remember to be even more humble.
Good for you, and hey you are in good company. We have all been in your place a time or two or 3…😃 Don’t sweat it. That’s how we learn our faith better is from eachother.👍
 
No one is supposed to “care” that Mary agreed to the immaculate conception and remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus. The lack of physical acts on Mary’s part and on the part of David simply kept the Devil from claiming that the wrong DNA got into the ovum of Mary. Therefore, Jesus has all the right DNA to be the person He and David and the Holy Spirit and Mary claim Him to be.
All that needs to be recognized is that both Mary and David agreed to stall on the physical pleasure to produce the Son.
The emphasis on her virginity is to motivate and give young women the desire to remain virgins until marriage. There is a world wide crisis with unwanted children, abortions, single parents and sexually transmitted diseases. And this is what people, both men and women are supposed to care about. 👍
 
why is it that essential that as Catholics we profess this belief? What is this meant to teach me now?
When you and I call the Blessed Mother ‘ever virgin’, we can do it to repair for the blasphemes of those who would say she was a ‘knocked up Jewish girl’ who escaped being stoned. (Jesus therefore is not divine, and Mary is guilty of adultery) There is merit in having a heart that wishes to console the Lord, for the outrages committed against Him. It gains merit for us and for others who do not yet believe. Why should we care? When you love someone, you care.

Prayer within the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom…
It is truly right to bless you, O God bearing one, as the ever blessed and immaculate, mother of our God. Higher in honor above the cheribum, beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim. Ever a virgin you gave birth to God the Word. You are the true mother of God and we magnify you.

I imagine that praying this pray with love and sincerity can be very pleasing to God and be a cause of joy to those who love Him.
 
No one is supposed to “care” that Mary agreed to the immaculate conception and remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus. The lack of physical acts on Mary’s part and on the part of David simply kept the Devil from claiming that the wrong DNA got into the ovum of Mary. Therefore, Jesus has all the right DNA to be the person He and David and the Holy Spirit and Mary claim Him to be.
All that needs to be recognized is that both Mary and David agreed to stall on the physical pleasure to produce the Son.
The emphasis on her virginity is to motivate and give young women the desire to remain virgins until marriage. There is a world wide crisis with unwanted children, abortions, single parents and sexually transmitted diseases. And this is what people, both men and women are supposed to care about. 👍
Mary, you are confusing the Immaculate Conception (that Mary from the first moment of her conception in her mother’s womb was without Original Sin) with her Perpetual Virginity (which means that she was a Virgin before, during and ever-after the Birth of her Son. Both are doctrines of the Church and as such are most definitely to be “cared” about. 🙂
 
Mary was from a long and very devout line. It was long prophesied that Jesus would be born from the line of David. Devoted married people were known to practice “continence” or refrainment from marital relations while they prayed and did penance. This would sometimes last weeks, or months, or throughout the marriage. Marital virginity in this lineage was very uncommon but not unheard of. Mary and Joseph (who was her grandfathers age) chose this knowing that they were to be selected for this role. Obviously choosing Mary to bear God’s son was not a spur of the moment decision by God or He would have not have had her be born immaculately. Mary’s mother, Anne, often visited a prophet on the same mountain where Moses prayed. She knew the role Mary was to play, and consequently so did Mary. Still a shocker when Gabriel appeared, no doubt. But Mary and Joseph were very aware of their roles and the expectations around them. “Continence” among those.
 
Mary wasn’t married to David, she was married to Joseph. And her virginity was for much deeper reasons than you seem tomallude to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top