D
dje101
Guest
Coming from a protestant background, I am just wondering why the CC does infant baptism? Also, why don’t they do full submersion? Thanks everyone 
Infant Baptism supported by ScriptureComing from a protestant background, I am just wondering why the CC does infant baptism? Also, why don’t they do full submersion? Thanks everyone![]()
We do baptism by immersion. In fact, when you read the Rite of Baptism for Infants it presumes immersion. We just don’t put the baby’s face in the water.Infant Baptism supported by Scripture
Infant Baptism supported by the Church Fathers
Pouring vs immersion
Also-no brainer here, but surely the fact that we practice infant baptism would tell you that baptism by immersion would be more than a little dangerous?
You’re right, my mistake.We do baptism by immersion. In fact, when you read the Rite of Baptism for Infants it presumes immersion. We just don’t put the baby’s face in the water.
we follow the practice of the early Church as described in Acts and the letters, what the apostles did following their instruction from Christ himself. You can find out more on the apologetics forum on your topic.Coming from a protestant background, I am just wondering why the CC does infant baptism? Also, why don’t they do full submersion? Thanks everyone
Full immersion comes from the traditions of a particular Church. Some Eastern Churches would do full immersion of infants, or a variation of it. Like some would put the infant half way into the water up to their chest, then pour on the head. Or immerse the body while cradling the infant, but not enough that the face is covered with water.Coming from a protestant background, I am just wondering why the CC does infant baptism? Also, why don’t they do full submersion? Thanks everyone![]()
Thanks. This is helpful. However, I don’t see any example there of children being baptized. I see assumptions. I would really love to see proof of the apostles themselves or Paul instructing families to baptize babies.Infant Baptism supported by Scripture
Infant Baptism supported by the Church Fathers
Pouring vs immersion
Also-no brainer here, but surely the fact that we practice infant baptism would tell you that baptism by immersion would be more than a little dangerous?
From the link you read:Thanks. This is helpful. However, I don’t see any example there of children being baptized. I see assumptions. I would really love to see proof of the apostles themselves or Paul instructing families to baptize babies.
I know the theology was developed by the church fathers that came after, but what is this based on?
Infant Baptism supported by Scripture
Infant Baptism supported by the Church Fathers
Pouring vs immersion
Also-no brainer here, but surely the fact that we practice infant baptism would tell you that baptism by immersion would be more than a little dangerous?
Thanks. Let me first say, I don’t mean to be argumentative, but I need to understand the basis of Catholic doctrine. I believe most converting protestants go through this, because we are taught that Catholic teachings are wrong, so we need to find proof that they are not.From the link you read:
Acts 16:33 - Paul baptized the jailer (an adult) and** his entire household (which had to include children). Baptism is never limited to adults and those of the age of reason. See also Luke 19:9; John 4:53; Acts 11:14; 1 Cor. 1:16; and 1 Tim. 3:12; Gen. 31:41; 36:6; 41:51; Joshua 24:15; 2 Sam. 7:11, 1 Chron. 10:6 which shows “oikos” generally includes children. **
Genesis 17:10-14
This is My covenant with you and your descendants after you that you must keep: every male among you shall be circumcised. Circumcise the flesh of your foreskin, and that shall be the mark of the covenant between you and Me.
Throughout the ages, every male among you, when he is eight days old, shall be circumcised, including houseborn slaves and those acquired with money from any foreigner who is not of your blood.
From Wikipedia:Yes, both the houseborn slaves and those acquired with money must be circumcised. Thus My covenant shall be in your flesh as an everlasting pact.
If a male is uncircumcised, that is, if the flesh of his foreskin has not been cut away, such a one shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."
There are numerous references to circumcision in the Jewish Bible. Circumcision was enjoined upon the biblical patriarch Abraham, his descendants and their slaves as “a token of the covenant” concluded with him by God for all generations, an “everlasting covenant” (Genesis 17:13), thus it is commonly observed by the Abrahamic religions.
The penalty of non-observance was kareth, spiritual excision from the people (Genesis 17:10-14, 21:4; Lev 12:3). Non-Israelites had to undergo circumcision before they could be allowed to take part in the feast of Passover (Exodus 12:48). See also Mosaic Law directed at non-Jews and Conversion to Judaism.
It was “a reproach” for an Israelite to be uncircumcised (Josh 5:9) The name arelim (uncircumcised) became an opprobrious term, especially a pejorative name for the Philistines, who might have been of Greek origin, in the context of the fierce wars recounted in the Book of Samuel (1 Sam 14:6, 31:4. When the general (and future king) David wanted to marry King Saul’s daughter, the King required a grisly “dowry” of a hundred Philistine foreskins. David went one better: “and David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full number to the king, that he might be the king’s son-in-law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife”.(1 Sam 18:25)
“Uncircumcised” is used in conjunction with tame (unpure) for heathen (Isa 52:1). The word ‘arel’ (uncircumcised) is also employed for “impermeable” (Lev. 26:41, “their uncircumcised hearts”; compare Jer. 9:25; Ezek. xliv. 7, 9); it is also applied to the first three years’ fruit of a tree, which is forbidden (Lev 19:23).
However, the Israelites born in the wilderness after the exodus from Egypt apparently did not carry out the practice of circumcision. According to Josh 5:2-9, “all the people that came out” of Egypt were circumcised, but those “born in the wilderness” were not. In any case, we are told that Joshua, before the celebration of the Passover, had them circumcised at Gilgal.
The Bible contains several narratives in which circumcision is mentioned. There is the circumcision and massacre of the Shechemites (Genesis 34:1-35:5), the hundred foreskin dowry (1 Samuel 18:25-27) and the story of the LORD threatening to kill Moses, and being placated by Zipporah’s circumcision of their son (Exodus 4:24-26), and the Circumcision at Gilgal of Joshua 5.
There is another sense in which the term “circumcise” is used in the Bible. Deut 10:16 says: “Circumcise the foreskin of your heart,” (also quoted in Jer 4:4, New JPS translates as: “Cut away, therefore, the thickening about your hearts”) along with Jer 6:10: To whom shall I speak, and give warning, that they may hear? behold their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot hearken: … (New JPS translates: “Their ears are blocked”). Some[who?] interpret this as giving the rite a spiritual meaning; circumcision as a physical act being enjoined nowhere in the book. Jer 9:25-26 says that circumcised and uncircumcised will be punished alike by the Lord; for “all the nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in heart.” The New JPS translation adds the note: “uncircumcised of heart: I.e., their minds are blocked to God’s commandments.” Non-Jewish tribes that practiced circumcision were described as being “circumcised in uncircumcision.”(Jeremiah 9:24)
I don’t see women specifically mentioned either. Does that mean women were not baptised. I think we have to use some common sense here as well. An entire household includes everyone from male and female babies to great grandparents. It does not mean everyone except babies and women!Thanks. Let me first say, I don’t mean to be argumentative, but I need to understand the basis of Catholic doctrine. I believe most converting protestants go through this, because we are taught that Catholic teachings are wrong, so we need to find proof that they are not.
So having said that I took a look at the verses you quoted. I’m only going to address a few:
Luke 19:9: 9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
Yes, Jesus came to save, but I don’t see baptism in here.
John 4:53: Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and all his household believed.
**
His household could have included older children who were at an age where they could make a decision. I don’t see any babies specifically listed here.
**
Acts 11:14; He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.
This doesn’t specifically talk about baptism. I take this to mean if you raise your children as Christian, they hopefully will make the right decisions, get baptized etc.
Am I just not seeing clearly?
I don’t think it’s a matter of common sense. If it comes to that I can point to a lot of things that don’t seem to follow common sense. It’s a matter of faith.I don’t see women specifically mentioned either. Does that mean women were not baptised. I think we have to use some common sense here as well. An entire household includes everyone from male and female babies to great grandparents. It does not mean everyone except babies and women!
My bad.I was a born and brought up Methodist before converting. I have to say I was never taught Catholic teachings were wrong. I was simply never taught anything about the Catholic Church.
I was raised in Baptist and Pentacostal churches that didn’t even believe Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians and definitely not Catholics had the true faith. Our little world was really insulated. It wasn’t until I started attending a reformed church that I realized all Protestants didn’t think that way.
Thanks so much for your patience.
Baptism is a free gift. It requires NO prerequisite. I was a Baptist, so I know about if it´s not in the Bible, I don´t have proof. Therefore…Where in the Bible does it say not to Baptize infants. God bless:thumbsup:Thanks. Let me first say, I don’t mean to be argumentative, but I need to understand the basis of Catholic doctrine. I believe most converting protestants go through this, because we are taught that Catholic teachings are wrong, so we need to find proof that they are not.
So having said that I took a look at the verses you quoted. I’m only going to address a few:
Luke 19:9: 9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
Yes, Jesus came to save, but I don’t see baptism in here.
John 4:53: Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and all his household believed.
**
His household could have included older children who were at an age where they could make a decision. I don’t see any babies specifically listed here.
**
Acts 11:14; He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.
This doesn’t specifically talk about baptism. I take this to mean if you raise your children as Christian, they hopefully will make the right decisions, get baptized etc.
Am I just not seeing clearly?
TrueLight, my husband and I converted to Catholicism from evangelical Protestantism.
In the evangelical Protestant churches, baptism is “an outer sign of an inner faith.” In other words, baptism is a “work” that a Christian “does” to give witness to his/her faith in Jesus Christ, and to demonstrate visually their “death to sin, burial with Christ, and resurrection to salvation.”
In the Catholic Church, and in other ancient churches (Lutheran, Reformed), a Christian’s personal faith has nothing to do with baptism. Baptism is the initiation into the covenant. It takes the place of circumcision. A person who is baptized is now marked by the Holy Spirit and is a Christian.
That’s why infants are baptized–so that they are “in the covenant” of Christianity.
That’s another difference between evangelical Protestantism and Catholicism/ancient Protestant churches. In evangelical Protestant churches, becoming a Christian means doing a “work:”–believing in Jesus, repenting of sins, praying a sinner’s prayer, accepting Jesus into your heart, confessing Christ with your mouth. Those people who do these things become Christians. In other words, Christianity is something that we have to make a choice to receive. We have to “do something.”
But in the Catholic Church and other ancient (Protestant) churches, a person becomes a Christian entirely through grace. They do nothing; rather, their parents bring them to the waters of baptism, where they receive initiation into the Church and become Christians.
But what you have to understand is that in the Catholic Church and the ancient (Protestant) churches, being a Christian is not a guarantee of heaven. In these ancient churches, a Christian must continue to follow Christ and not reject Him. Rejection of Christ is evidenced by a life in which sin is continually practiced with no repentance or attempt at reconciliation with Christ.
Most evangelical Protestant churches teach that once a person has made a choice to become a Christian, they cannot lose heaven because Christ Himself will preserve them. Evangelicals are taught that anyone who lives a life of sin is probably not really a Christian, even if they once believed and asked Jesus into their heart. Evangelicals teach that such a person was never really a Christian because if they were Christians, they would not have fallen away.
(I should state here that there are some evangelical churches; e.g., the Assemblies of God, that teach that a Christian can indeed reject Christ and lose heaven.)
But the Catholic Church and other ancient (Protestant) churches teach that a person CAN choose to deliberately reject Christ, even if they have been baptized into Christianity.
I hope I am adequately explaining this. In the ancient churches, baptism is an initiation. It is not a public testimony of a faith in Christ.
And in case you’re wondering why I keep referring to the ancient churches (Catholicism, Lutheranism, Reformed, etc.), these are the churches that have been around since the very beginning of Christianity. The Catholic Church is the oldest church, and their earliest leaders were actual students of the disciples. So it makes sense to me that these ancient churches are most likely to be correct in their theology.
OTOH, the newer churches, especially the evangelical churches, are far removed historically from the New Testament Church, and over the decades, many man-made theologies have crept in. The teaching about baptism being an outer sign of an inner faith is one of those man-made theologies. This teaching is not in the Bible and it is not in any of the early works by early Christian leaders. I frankly am surprised that evangelical churches teach this, because what they are teaching is “works-based” salvation. Indeed, some evangelical churches HAVE stopped teaching about baptism and state that it is entirely optional.
Here is something to think about. I believe, although I’ve never seen any historical evidence for this, but it makes sense–I believe that believers started getting their infants baptized during the times of persecution in the first three centuries. They did this to protect their babies from paganism. Once these babies were baptized, it was understood by all (including the pagans) that the babies were now CHRISTIANS, not pagans. By getting their tiny infants baptized, the parents could die in the arena trusting that the Holy Spirit had His Mark on their precious babies, who were now Christians by virtue of their Christian baptism. The parents could hand their dear babies over to other believers (how difficult that must have been), who would raise them as Christians, never as pagans. They could die secure that they would someday see their babies again in heaven. And even if the infant grew up and tried to reject Christianity, they would be tormented by their baptism, knowing that they were Christians whether they wanted to be or not.
TrueLIght, as an ex-evangelical Protestant, I would challenge you to read over the Old Testament again to gain an understanding of the “covenant,” and then read the entire New Testament and seek out the purpose of baptism. Try to set aside your ingrained idea that baptism is something that believers must “choose.”
I think my dear friend that one of the issues hanging you up is the belief that everything we do today must be explicitly spelled out in Scripture.Thanks. This is helpful. However, I don’t see any example there of children being baptized. I see assumptions. I would really love to see proof of the apostles themselves or Paul instructing families to baptize babies.
I know the theology was developed by the church fathers that came after, but what is this based on?