L
lak611
Guest
When is Trinity Sunday in your liturgical calendar?Typically once a year, on Trinity Sunday.
When is Trinity Sunday in your liturgical calendar?Typically once a year, on Trinity Sunday.
I know you are very educated on Church history. Do you know when the Church stopped saying the Athanasian Creed regularly?I personally like the Athanasian Creed very much- it is an excellent refutation of Arianism and Monophysitism.
Nothing wrong with it, although I suppose the liberals would have something to say about it.
I don’t know that Catholics ever did say it regularly.I know you are very educated on Church history. Do you know when the Church stopped saying the Athanasian Creed regularly?
Trinity Sunday is the first Sunday after Pentecost.When is Trinity Sunday in your liturgical calendar?
Trinity Sunday is the first Sunday after Pentecost.
I admit I had to look that up. Looking it up gave me a chance to read up on the history of Trinity Sunday. Its origins are around the turn of the second millennium.
Sure. Its an old tradition. Unless you papists changed your date I would expect it would fall on the same day.First Sunday after Pentecost is also Trinity Sunday for Catholics.
Do you have the Athanasian Creed in your bulletin on Trinity Sunday or if not, is it printed somewhere? I would think that most people in your church would not have it memorized since it is said so infrequently.Sure. Its an old tradition. Unless you papists changed your date I would expect it would fall on the same day.![]()
Its in the Service Book in all the pews. It might also be printed in the bulletin. You are right. I doubt anyone memorized it. The Nicene and Apostle’s creeds are also printed, but a good number of people probably memorize those. We say one or the other nearly every Sunday.Do you have the Athanasian Creed in your bulletin on Trinity Sunday or if not, is it printed somewhere? I would think that most people in your church would not have it memorized since it is said so infrequently.
Most of the people in my church also memorize the Nicene Creed, since we say it every Sunday. We also say the Apostle’s Creed in many of our other devotions (Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, etc.), so most of the people in my church memorize the Apostle’s Creed also. I never even heard of the Athanasian Creed until I joined this forum.Its in the Service Book in all the pews. It might also be printed in the bulletin. You are right. I doubt anyone memorized it. The Nicene and Apostle’s creeds are also printed, but a good number of people probably memorize those. We say one or the other nearly every Sunday.
I think the only time the Athanasian Creed was used was in the old Rite of Exorcism.I know you are very educated on Church history. Do you know when the Church stopped saying the Athanasian Creed regularly?
Are you referring to exorcism in general or the one during the Baptism?I think the only time the Athanasian Creed was used was in the old Rite of Exorcism.
Not sure about the new rite of Exorcism - I suppose the evil one likes ecumenism.
The specific rite of Exorcising evil spirits from possessed or obsessed person, and from places. The old was adapted (from previous forms) in 1611. It was revised in 2000. Father Gabriel Amorth, the chief exorcist, said it was weak and ineffective, so he got an indult for all exorcists to continue to use the old.Are you referring to exorcism in general or the one during the Baptism?
And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.
This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully he cannot be saved.
BROTHER! I agree. Even though we never pray the Athanasian Creed in church, I am going to add it to my prayers.I think that the Athanasian Creed is the clearest statement of the Holy Trinity.
I, also, have seen the Athanasian Creed online. I suspect that the main reason it isn’t used during Mass is because of its length (and it is rather lengthy). This is only my own viewpoint, so I’ll leave it to you to either accept or reject it.I know from church history classes that there are 3 main creeds: Nicene, Apostle’s and Athanasian. Why don’t Catholics ever use the Athanasian Creed? I have never seen it in ANY Catholic prayer book. I’ve only found it online.
The 4 creeds of the church are the Nicean, Apostles, Athanasian, and Pius IV.I, also, have seen the Athanasian Creed online. I suspect that the main reason it isn’t used during Mass is because of its length (and it is rather lengthy). This is only my own viewpoint, so I’ll leave it to you to either accept or reject it.
If there be any other reasons why Catholic Masses don’t use this creed, then I’ll defer to them. I hope that this helps. :twocents:
:tissues:
