Why don't Catholics use the Athanasian Creed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lak611
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally like the Athanasian Creed very much- it is an excellent refutation of Arianism and Monophysitism.

Nothing wrong with it, although I suppose the liberals would have something to say about it.
 
I personally like the Athanasian Creed very much- it is an excellent refutation of Arianism and Monophysitism.

Nothing wrong with it, although I suppose the liberals would have something to say about it.
I know you are very educated on Church history. Do you know when the Church stopped saying the Athanasian Creed regularly?
 
When is Trinity Sunday in your liturgical calendar?
Trinity Sunday is the first Sunday after Pentecost.

I admit I had to look that up. Looking it up gave me a chance to read up on the history of Trinity Sunday. Its origins are around the turn of the second millennium.
 
Trinity Sunday is the first Sunday after Pentecost.

I admit I had to look that up. Looking it up gave me a chance to read up on the history of Trinity Sunday. Its origins are around the turn of the second millennium.
:cool: First Sunday after Pentecost is also Trinity Sunday for Catholics.
 
Sure. Its an old tradition. Unless you papists changed your date I would expect it would fall on the same day.:cool:
Do you have the Athanasian Creed in your bulletin on Trinity Sunday or if not, is it printed somewhere? I would think that most people in your church would not have it memorized since it is said so infrequently.
 
Do you have the Athanasian Creed in your bulletin on Trinity Sunday or if not, is it printed somewhere? I would think that most people in your church would not have it memorized since it is said so infrequently.
Its in the Service Book in all the pews. It might also be printed in the bulletin. You are right. I doubt anyone memorized it. The Nicene and Apostle’s creeds are also printed, but a good number of people probably memorize those. We say one or the other nearly every Sunday.
 
Its in the Service Book in all the pews. It might also be printed in the bulletin. You are right. I doubt anyone memorized it. The Nicene and Apostle’s creeds are also printed, but a good number of people probably memorize those. We say one or the other nearly every Sunday.
Most of the people in my church also memorize the Nicene Creed, since we say it every Sunday. We also say the Apostle’s Creed in many of our other devotions (Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, etc.), so most of the people in my church memorize the Apostle’s Creed also. I never even heard of the Athanasian Creed until I joined this forum. :o Then I took an adult education class at my parish and it was mentioned, but I did not ask why it is not said more often.
 
I know you are very educated on Church history. Do you know when the Church stopped saying the Athanasian Creed regularly?
I think the only time the Athanasian Creed was used was in the old Rite of Exorcism.

Not sure about the new rite of Exorcism - I suppose the evil one likes ecumenism.
 
I think the only time the Athanasian Creed was used was in the old Rite of Exorcism.

Not sure about the new rite of Exorcism - I suppose the evil one likes ecumenism.
Are you referring to exorcism in general or the one during the Baptism?
 
Are you referring to exorcism in general or the one during the Baptism?
The specific rite of Exorcising evil spirits from possessed or obsessed person, and from places. The old was adapted (from previous forms) in 1611. It was revised in 2000. Father Gabriel Amorth, the chief exorcist, said it was weak and ineffective, so he got an indult for all exorcists to continue to use the old.

The 1611 (perhaps it was 1609 - but 16 something) has the Athanasian creed. It was dropped in the 2000 edition.

So to answer the original question - the only place the Athanasian creed is used is in the Old Rite of Exorcism.

Personally I think it’s marvellous. It can be found here. I particularly like the bit:
And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.
This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully he cannot be saved.
:amen: BROTHER! 😃 And you wonder why they don’t use it…
 
I think that the Athanasian Creed is the clearest statement of the Holy Trinity.
 
I think that the Athanasian Creed is the clearest statement of the Holy Trinity.
I agree. Even though we never pray the Athanasian Creed in church, I am going to add it to my prayers.
 
I know from church history classes that there are 3 main creeds: Nicene, Apostle’s and Athanasian. Why don’t Catholics ever use the Athanasian Creed? I have never seen it in ANY Catholic prayer book. I’ve only found it online.
I, also, have seen the Athanasian Creed online. I suspect that the main reason it isn’t used during Mass is because of its length (and it is rather lengthy). This is only my own viewpoint, so I’ll leave it to you to either accept or reject it.

If there be any other reasons why Catholic Masses don’t use this creed, then I’ll defer to them. I hope that this helps. :twocents:
:tissues:
 
I, also, have seen the Athanasian Creed online. I suspect that the main reason it isn’t used during Mass is because of its length (and it is rather lengthy). This is only my own viewpoint, so I’ll leave it to you to either accept or reject it.

If there be any other reasons why Catholic Masses don’t use this creed, then I’ll defer to them. I hope that this helps. :twocents:
:tissues:
The 4 creeds of the church are the Nicean, Apostles, Athanasian, and Pius IV.

As the apostles is basically a shorter version of the Nicean, and the Nicean is in the Pius IV, the latter is awfully good!

Pius IV and Athanasian are the best! 😛 And the least ecumenical!
 
i went to catholic school 12 years never heard about all those different creeds. i will find more about then. V. Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
R. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.:blessyou:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top