P
palmas85
Guest
Interesting. Then in what things was he literal if not this one? Any at all or were all of his sayings idioms?The Hebrew language is full of idioms this is one of the many. So no He was not being literal.
Interesting. Then in what things was he literal if not this one? Any at all or were all of his sayings idioms?The Hebrew language is full of idioms this is one of the many. So no He was not being literal.
I’m still waiting on your learned reply.The Hebrew language is full of idioms this is one of the many. So no He was not being literal.
Jesus said to take this and eat this all of you, this is my body given up for u, take this and drink this all of u, this is the blood of the new covenant…Thanks, everyone, for your posts. I feel I am getting closer to an answer. What I am missing is - did Christ come up with the idea himself or was this a part of other religions in the area prior to Christ? Certainly the Jews did not eat human or God’s flesh, so where did the idea come from?
How could Christ have been any more literal Nevim? He repeated this twice. He said “TRUELY, TRUELY”. He let those who could not accept it literally to leave without clarifying it further. What in Heaven’s name, could he have done in order to explain things more precisely? Your denying this simply shows that you are either extremely ignorant or truly brainwashed. I’ll leave it to you to decide which. :nope:The Hebrew language is full of idioms this is one of the many. So no He was not being literal.
In his book “The Love of God in Practice”, St Alphonsus Liguori writes the following…… Why not just pray and have Jesus enter your heart that way?
Wow! I agree. Kleary, your post (#9) is fascinating. We “eat” the body of Christ to save us from the original sin when Adam and Eve “ate” the apple. Very enlightening.Kleary,
I’m not going to requote the pictures you posted because it screws up my browser, but they are pretty powerful when you look at one image like that next to the other.
Amen!
Then why in John 6 did they dispute among themselves, saying “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” Why did they say “This is a hard saying. Who can listen to it?” Why did Jesus ask if they took offense at His words? Why did many of them walk away? None of these things make any sense whatsoever if they understood Christ to be saying “You must believe in me. You must learn what I am teaching.” Apparently they didn’t even know their own idioms.Eating and Drinking are Jewish idioms for gaining knowledge.
**What I am missing is - did Christ come up with the idea himself or was this a part of other religions in the area prior to Christ? Certainly the Jews did not eat human or God’s flesh, so where did the idea come from?
Most scholars would disagree, Y’shua did speak Hebrew, and why not He was after all a Jew. The common street language of the day was Aramaic, but not one Jew would not just speak Aramaic but Hebrew as well it is the Language of the Temple to this day. The Gospel of Matthew was written in Hebrew as testified to by your ECF inculding Jermone who spent 14 years in Israel before translating the Scripture into Latin. As far as John 6 is concerned SOME of the unbelieving ( as the text reveals), Pharisees that were merely looking for something to discount Y’shua as Messiah, As far as the rest of the Gospels new evidence points to Aramaic not Greek, after all we have Jewish writters writing from the land of Israel about a Jewish Messiah in Greek–don’t think so, and many scholars are seeing the same thing.Jesus did not speak Hebrew (at least not to the crowds of folks who surrounded Him who spoke Aramaic) and the Gospels were written in Greek. In Jn 6 the Jews were ready to kill Him for blasphemy when He said that, and they left Him when He said that – and He let them leave without clearing it up. Of course it’s literal!
“Truely ,Truely” means I am not using an idiom ? Wherever did you get that idea ? You’re forgetting what an idiom is, you don’t replace the words with the literal meaning of other words, our country does this all the time. You never heard of the expression “I’ll make him eat his words” ? that’s an American idiom. You have to look at and address Duet 13:1-5 which you have yet to address.Then why in John 6 did they dispute among themselves, saying “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” Why did they say “This is a hard saying. Who can listen to it?” Why did Jesus ask if they took offense at His words? Why did many of them walk away? None of these things make any sense whatsoever if they understood Christ to be saying “You must believe in me. You must learn what I am teaching.” Apparently they didn’t even know their own idioms.
Just replace “eat” and “drink” in John 6 with “believe” and “learn” and the entire text becomes nonsense. Their reactions become incomprehensible. It is their reactions that prove that Jesus’ words were no idioms, they were literal, and they were so offensive that many walked away rather than listen to them. Just like today. To claim that His words were idioms is just a desparate attempt to deny the reality of what Jesus requires of us.
Brainwashed, no, not brainwashed. The simple fact is eating human flesh or drinking blood is against the Torah or commandments of God, if a prophet taught something other then the commandments he was deem a false prophet Yeshua would have disqualified Himself from being the Messiah if He taught such a thing. I understand how being raised in the RCC one could come to the conclusion you have therefore just who is really being conditioned ? I follow Scripture, not a religion. I am not here to defend a religion I am here to defend God’s Word.How could Christ have been any more literal Nevim? He repeated this twice. He said “TRUELY, TRUELY”. He let those who could not accept it literally to leave without clarifying it further. What in Heaven’s name, could he have done in order to explain things more precisely? Your denying this simply shows that you are either extremely ignorant or truly brainwashed. I’ll leave it to you to decide which. :nope:
Yes you are mistaken, I am always surprise to hear this remark–the answer is Yeshua was a JEW ! Of course He spoke the scared langauge of Hebrew.I’m still waiting on your learned reply.Also, could you possibly explain to me why the issue of Hebrew was brought up?. If I’m not mistaken, the language that Jesus probably spoke was Aramaic
Hello-Yes you are mistaken, I am always surprise to hear this remark–the answer is Yeshua was a JEW ! Of course He spoke the scared langauge of Hebrew.
NAS John 19:20" Therefore this inscription many of the Jews read, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, Latin, and in Greek."—Do we find the word “Aramaic” here ?
NAS Acts 21:40 And when he had given him permission, Paul, standing on athe stairs, motioned to the people with his hand; and when there was a great hush, he spoke to them in the Hebrew dialect, saying,
You’re not responding to anything I said, because I never even mentioned “truly, truly”. Here’s what I said:“Truely ,Truely” means I am not using an idiom ? Wherever did you get that idea ? You’re forgetting what an idiom is, you don’t replace the words with the literal meaning of other words, our country does this all the time. You never heard of the expression “I’ll make him eat his words” ? that’s an American idiom. You have to look at and address Duet 13:1-5 which you have yet to address.
Originally Posted by VociMike
Then why in John 6 did they dispute among themselves, saying “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” Why did they say “This is a hard saying. Who can listen to it?” Why did Jesus ask if they took offense at His words? Why did many of them walk away? None of these things make any sense whatsoever if they understood Christ to be saying “You must believe in me. You must learn what I am teaching.” Apparently they didn’t even know their own idioms.
And once again I ask, if this was just an idiom, why did they dispute among themselves, why did they say “this is a hard saying, who can listen to it?”, why did many of them walk away? (the only time in all the gospels that such a thing happened, by the way) All that fuss over a simple idiom that just means one should acquire knowledge? Not hardly!Just replace “eat” and “drink” in John 6 with “believe” and “learn” and the entire text becomes nonsense. Their reactions become incomprehensible. It is their reactions that prove that Jesus’ words were no idioms, they were literal, and they were so offensive that many walked away rather than listen to them. Just like today. To claim that His words were idioms is just a desparate attempt to deny the reality of what Jesus requires of us.
Cannibalism is for those who are eating dead meat but we are eating the LIFE.I found a word to describe this - theophagy - (some may call it ‘cannibalism’)…
Hey no offense intended by that’s pretty lame.Cannibalism is for those who are eating dead meat but we are eating the LIFE.
He is the LIFE!
Because they looked for ways of bringing Him down, so of the Pharisee intentionally looked for ways to trip Him up and accuse Him of wrong doing. Look here is the verse:You’re not responding to anything I said, because I never even mentioned “truly, truly”. Here’s what I said:
And once again I ask, if this was just an idiom, why did they dispute among themselves, why did they say “this is a hard saying, who can listen to it?”, why did many of them walk away? (the only time in all the gospels that such a thing happened, by the way) All that fuss over a simple idiom that just means one should acquire knowledge? Not hardly!
Hi Jennifer, yes I do participate in the Passover, oh BTW it is not a “Jewish” thing it is one of the festivals of the Lord…Hello-
Thanks for weighing in on this interesting thread. I have to wonder though if you participate in the Jewish Passover? Considering how important it is in the Jewish custom to remember how God released the Jews from bondage in Egypt, certainly God didn’t need to use an unblemished lamb to make His point? That Jews should eat the Passover lamb to remember God’s deliverance of the Jews.
We don’t celebrate the Passover ritual, but the meaning of the Passover meal and the meaning of the eucharistic meal are related.Hi Jennifer, yes I do participate in the Passover, oh BTW it is not a “Jewish” thing it is one of the festivals of the Lord…
Actually Christians are suppose to celebrate Passover as well as Jews. Eating a lamb is not like eating a person. So I am not sure of what point you are trying to make here.
Be Blessed
.