S
SoonerServant
Guest
I absolutely accept your challenge. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t.
WHen and where
WHen and where
OH oh oh…call on me, call on me (I know the answer to this one !!!)Do you even know why it’s called the ROMAN Catholic Church?
I feel like that too…I was just excited that I knew the answer to the question (that doesn’t happen very often)Why do I suddenly feel like I am standing in the middle of a school yard?
AMEN Dulcissima!Why do I suddenly feel like I am standing in the middle of a school yard?
The Roman Catholic Church is called the “Roman Catholic Church” because its origin is from ROME, where Peter established it.Do you even know why it’s called the ROMAN Catholic Church?
This oughtta be good.I absolutely accept your challenge. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t.
I suspect his point is all about seven hills, the whore of Babylon, and maybe even about Baal. It’s probably an amalgamation of Hyslop, Boettner, and Chick, and yes CM is involved so I’m sure it will be interesting.The Roman Catholic Church is called the “Roman Catholic Church” because its origin is from ROME, where Peter established it.
I’m Maronite Catholic and thus I follow the practices of the Maronite Catholic Church which originated from ANTIOCH.
But since Peter was the head of the apostles, the Maronites follow the successors of Peter, and since Peter went to Rome and established the Church there…the Church of Rome defines the Faith for all Catholic Churches…hence we are all ONE CATHOLIC Church.
What’s your point?
This oughtta be good.![]()
romancatholicmuskoka.com/I would if it really was called that…but only a-Cs use that pejorative.
It’s the Catholic Church.
Anytime you post the beginning thread right here in the apologetics forum.I absolutely accept your challenge. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t.
WHen and where
romancatholiclichfield.co.uk/
Sometimes a name just sticks…if it works go with it I guess. It’s kinda like “Yankee Doodle” (if you happen to be a history fan).
to inform us all of “just why it is called the ROMAN catholic church” of course…Okay folks, I’m confused. Sooner, just why are you on a Catholic forum?
A couple of years ago we passed a law in this state saying that marriage is between “one man and one woman”. 500 years from now, someone will argue that before this point in time, marriage could be between anyone, but we changed the laws regarding it. For those who do not know the true history of marriage, it would seem as if this were true.It’s easy for the Catholic to say, “These doctrines were always believed; they were only defined when they were challenged,”
Yeah, me too. I figure either his threads will be waiting when I get back from Mass in the morning, or not. We’ll see.to inform us all of “just why it is called the ROMAN catholic church” of course…
As fun as I’m sure this is gonna be, I need to go spend some time with my wife…
I’ll be sure to check this forum tomorrow to see if I can’t pick up on whatever is going to result from this (after I go “re-sacrifice” Jesus, “worship” Mary, and worship some bread of course)…good night all.
fineca said:1. Have you read the articles mentioned in this link: geocities.com/thecatholic…orthodoxy.html
I thank you for your quotes. Of course, the Orthodox may very well say that yes, the pope did have a primacy of sorts in the Early Church. However, they believe that since then, his role and power has grown and expanded to a level far beyond what these early councils ever anticipated.It seems clear that the Councils believed in Papal supremacy.
True enough. Still, that in itself is not sufficient grounds for justifying a doctrine. Some things are true, and some things are not. The amount of believers is irrelevant. The Orthodox would probably say that there is ample support for the Trinity within the pages of Scripture itself, whereas papal infallibility is only something you’re going to find if you already believe in it. Christ said that the gates of Hades would never prevail against the Church. Somewhere along the line, Catholics decided that if the pope were ever to pronounce a false teaching in the matter of faith and morals, then this would mean the Church had been prevailed against. The Orthodox do not depend on any one man to uphold the Church, and they do not fear the Church’s destruction if one man should fail.
- Of course papal infallibility as it’s defined now wasn’t universally held in the early church, but neither was the Trinity
Nothing really objectionable there, if it is indeed true. During the limbo discussions on this board a while back, several people were insisting that limbo must exist and that the only alternative for the unbaptized was Hell. Does the Church really know what it teaches on this matter? Does the Catechism of today contradict official teaching from the past?
- There has not been any official teaching on where unbaptized infants go…The council of Florence defined that all who die in original sin only go to hell but it didn’t define that unbaptized children die with original sin, saints before and after that have believed they can be saved by the grace of baptism in an extraordinary way…You can have your opinion but you may not teach it as authoritative dogma.
How do we know what Pope Boniface meant? The Orthodox assume he meant it literally, and they are quote horrified by it. Modern Catholics try to reconcile it with modern teaching, by adding all sorts of qualifying statements, such as your explanation above. Did Pope Boniface have these qualifying statements in mind? Or, is the Church trying to overturn the infallible statement of a pope?
- The Pope you referred to lived in the 13th century (Boniface VIII I think) and believed that all who die with mortal sin, original sin, with the grave sin of schism or heresy, can’t be saved. This is what he meant and this is what the Church believes, and I still believe.
I’m not worried about myself. I’m worried about those people from days past who are in Hell because they ate meat on Fridays. Should the Church be using its power to help people get to Heaven, or should it use it to make the road just a bit narrower? In the Orthodox Church, according to my understanding, it is believed that one who disobeys the fast has missed an opportunity to grow in Christ. These people have not, however, immediately transititioned to a damned state.
- Well you wouldn’t have to worry since that disciplinary rule isn’t any more such that you should have mortal sin on you if you ate meat on Fridays.
Ah, but all these different jurisdictions are part of one Church, and they are all in communion with each other. Catholics tend to think the Church must have a rigid, authoritarian structure in order to be a Church. The Orthodox do not believe this and are quite content to let God lead their Church. They do not need one human leader to hold everything together.If you look at the EO, they actually have “denominations” (so to speak), but theirs are cultural divisions. Those divisions were brought about by geography and the difficulties of maintaining physical contact with each other in the formative years of Christianity. What has developed now is that the Russian, Greek, etc. Orthodox Churches operate as autonomous entities, though they surely have striven to protect the deposit of faith passed on to them.
Not to be picky, but there are also Eastern Catholics, who acknowledge the pope and are under his leadership.All through my journey to Catholicism, I was “haunted” by John chapter 17. Jesus’ priestly prayer in which he prayed that we would be one as He and the Father are one. I could not get that statement out of my mind. I concluded that the Latin (Roman) Church had followed this instruction to “be one” more fully than the Eastern Churches. The Western Church is the only one that maintains a visible unity under a single head which is the successor of Peter.
I would love that as well, and I too pray for that day. Still, these things take time, and I think my earthly life will probably end before full unity is achieved. This doesn’t depress me, but it does mean that I would like to find the Church before then.As another poster said, I pray that you would not have this choice to make because the two lungs of the Church would be reunited.
Thank you very much!Unity and Peter, in a nutshell. Blessings to you on this journey. I am praying that God will make His desire for you very clear, and that you dilemma will be resolved in a way that gives you complete confidence in the decision. Dominus vobiscum.
Not that I know of. Of course, as you know, there was the case where many Western Catholics denounced the primacy of Rome and formed their own churches.Is there any evidence of Western Catholic Churches denouncing the primacy of Rome and re-uniting under a Patriarch of the Orthodox Church?
If I remember right, some have said that even a nominal Catholic is better off than a Protestant, because the Catholic still has access to the sacraments. Personally, I think God is more pleased with a person who truly loves Him, than He is pleased with a person who is in the right place but with the wrong attitude.Has anyone argued that here?
I have it open right now.Did you ever read this article in the Catholic Encyclopedia? It is a good summary of the disputes that caused the schism between the East and the West.
“The Eastern Schism”
newadvent.org/cathen/13535a.htm
Possibly because he was one of the patriarchs, and he was not personally present at the Council? I’m really not being difficult on purposeWhy would these bishops send council documents to Boniface for ratification if he did not have a recognized authority over them?
Very true and very wise. Thank you.It is deceiving to show a few ECF quotes here and there to support a given position. Quotes can be taken out of context to support nearly any position. Look, instead, for evidence outside the writings, evidence that gives clarity to the historical writings in the proper historical context.
Hmmhhh…interesting thought. I’ll have to think about that one.In other words, would it be fair for those who will be judge into the fires of Hell to see all of those who have not have had any opportunity to commit sins going into Heaven?
Perhaps I am wrong, but even with an approved apparition, aren’t people still free to believe or disbelieve them? Just a quick question.If the Lady of Fatima asked for fasting, and we do disregard the message, yes, I believe we are sinning. We will not be judge by the sin itself, but our attitude towards sin.
Well, I’m referring to the Eastern Catholics, those Eastern Christians who are in union with the pope.The Eastern Orthodox Church is a very pious spiritual body, and I understand how one can be attracted to it. I just personally believe that they due lack in unity with the whole body due to the break with Rome.
It seems to me, though, that heresy involves a change in teaching. As the Orthodox do not have an individual who has the power to pronounce new doctrines, it seems unlikely that their teachings will change. They haven’t even had an ecumenical council in over a thousand years.if you want to see what happens to a church when it abandons central authority (i.e. the Pope and magesterium) just look at what is happening right now in the Episcopal church which I have just left. When a church is run by council or democratic vote in the case of TEC, eventually, fallible people are able to vote in heresy.
Of course! And thank you!Please pray for me and I will also pray for you.
Nancy
I have a couple of his books. Right now, though, I’m kind of on a break from deep theological reading. I’m going through The Lord of the Rings again. Excellent!You might want to read John Henry Newman’s writings. He was on a similar journey that you were in.![]()
Hmmhh…well, one could make the schismatic argument, I suppose, though they could easily say the same thing about the Catholics. The charge of heresy is difficult, as they were not teaching heresy in the year 1000 or so, and they’re still teaching the same doctrines. Who changed?Actually, it’s kind of convincing, since the Orthodox has fallen into heresy many times throughout their past, and are currently heretics and schismatics.
Unless, of course, the pope is not infallible at all and has pronounced doctrines contrary to the truth of God. I’m not saying this has happened. I’m just still not convinced of this whole infallibility bit.It’s definitely an emperical trend based on the data that when a church does not submit to the authority of an infallible pope, they will eventually believe doctrines contrary to the truth of God.
And Calvinism horrifies me. If God is how Calvinists portray Him, then, in my opinion, He is neither good, just, or merciful.If it is indeed a problem, it surely isn’t just with Catholicism. Calvinist theology aligns with Catholicism on this.
I can deal with this passage when it is talking about life circumstances and such. When it is talking about one’s eternal state, then I would like to think that someone who is thrown into Hell simply because God wants them there really does have the right to complain about it.The question really comes down to, who is the clay to tell the potter what He can do? Romans 9:21-23.
Indeed.This Bible verse comes to mind regarding #7: “to whom much is given, much will be required”. A Catholic who merely goes through the motions in the Catholic Church wastes many of God’s good graces. We are accountable for how we use His grace.
And I agree. Both of them, of course, need to improve.It comes down to what is better: a faithful heretic or a lackadasical person with true doctrine. Actually, I do not think that either is fully pleasing to God.
Sigh…While Eastern Rite Catholicism is great, the schismatic Eastern Orthodox are little more than Protestants in Catholic garb, IMO.
And that, of course, is your opinion. As I’ve said, I’m still in the middle, and I can’t say if you are right or wrong in saying that.Eastern Orthodoxy has no authority whatsoever to define, determine or declare what is or is not proper doctrine in opposition to the Catholic Church.