Years ago I read the book, “Teacher Man,” by Frank McCourt.
Frank, and Irish Catholic, but not a devote one, took a cruise to his homeland Ireland.
While on the ship, he met a evangelical Christian, who told Frank how he read his Bible and prayed often. He shared how he was saved through Jesus Christ. Frank had no doubt about the man’s sincerity.
One night, Frank was sitting on deck and he happen to notice the Christian standing at the rail of the ship, looking up at the stars, while holding his Bible.
Frank thought to himself, “now if this ship were suddenly start sinking, this Christian would be singing Divine Praises to God. Meanwhile, myself as a Catholic, would’ve been running around the ship looking for a priest to give me the Last Rites.”
This is what Catholicism has taught many of us Catholics over the past couple of centuries.
There is no hope, only the threat of eternal punishment because we didn’t get to confession before we died.
I experienced a different God when Jesus revealed himself to me. His love transcended all the prejudice, hatred and fears I had. It was joy beyond anything I ever experienced. That was 43 years ago. I never looked back.
Jim