T
tgGodsway
Guest
Hell is for the devil and the unsaved. Getting saved changes the paradigm.
Fear and trembling, and the call to continued obedience. If salvation was guaranteed at baptism, then there would be no need for either of these things.So then, my beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
Just to share more of my experience, I grew up in a once-saved-always-saved belief system, so while they technically didn’t believe you could lose your salvation, the worry/obsession was that you never really “got saved” in the first place. I am sure some personality types never worried, but I suspect far more worried about than would admit it–certainly including myself.Certain Protestant circles as well, have a reputation for having an obsession with the threat of hell. All of it is linked to a theology that places people in jeopardy of losing their salvation. This subject is not just a Catholic issue, it is a theological issue which became the thrust of the protestant reformation.
Yeah, I’d be praying “Lord, Save Your People” while trying to find a way off the ship.I’d be looking to see if God provided any lifeboats.
That would be my husband. If he ever worried about possibly going to Hell, he never let on to me for even one second. In fact the last thing I said to him before he died was that he should worry less about getting the taxes done and more about his health and his Immortal Soul. He just grinned at me. Then he walked out, drove home and dropped dead. I hope he remembered what I said.grew up in a once-saved-always-saved belief system, so while they technically didn’t believe you could lose your salvation, the worry/obsession was that you never really “got saved” in the first place. I am sure some personality types never worried
It could not be clearer. Those who are, at one point, in friendship with God may lose that friendship through their disobedience.Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off.
Yeah. I mean this isn’t particularly new insight because someone who’s so sure they’re going to heaven wouldn’t worry. My dad, as heavily flawed as he is, would constantly talk about how he’s definitely going to heaven. But really, hell is a possibility for all of us. There’s a reason why Catholics keep bringing up warfare and very ‘militant’ language.So, what I’m getting from this is that people are obsessed with Hell because a lot of people have some fear or thought that they personally might end up there.
I don’t terribly worry about Hell, especially since I quit doing grave sins. I honestly didn’t worry much about it when I was committing the grave sins. I was pretty confused and not thinking of what I was doing as a grave sin. I did have many discussions with God about it in an airport chapel that has been closed for a few years and asked him that if he thought I was really doing something wrong to let me know or get me out of it somehow. Guess he did.So, what I’m getting from this is that people are obsessed with Hell because a lot of people have some fear or thought that they personally might end up there.
In retrospect I see the sins were grave sins. But as I have already stopped doing them for years, repented and confessed, I don’t worry about getting sent to Hell over them.
Purgatory was more of a worry for me but I worked that out after a couple months.
I was pretty much a joyful Christian because I didn’t know how serious my sins were. Ignorance was truly bliss for me. Sometimes I wish I didn’t join CAF and “learnt too much”.I honestly didn’t worry much about it when I was committing the grave sins. I was pretty confused and not thinking of what I was doing as a grave sin.
To answer your question: With a simple word study of the word “Salvation” or “saved.” You will find out it is used in more than one context. The word also translates into the English word=deliver, to be delivered from one thing to another. An example of a non-eternal context is: Mt. 27:42 used in the context of a physical salvation.What other salvation would he have been talking about? What other salvation did he ever talk about???
This passage is directed towards the Judaisers who tried to teach that it was necessary to still adhere to the OT Laws in order to be saved. He is speaking to people who have already been baptized, and therefore have justified through faith, but who are abandoning that justification by relying on the law.You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.
You cannot use Paul to support OSAS without ignorant vast amounts of what he wrote. OSAS is bad theology that is leading people to Hell by making them think they don’t have to be concerned about their salvation.I pummel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
Think about it this way: If you could go back to offending the Lord and not know it and you were certain you would be forgiven, you would still rather know what offends the Lord and what pleases Him and do that. If you want a relationship with God, ignorance is not bliss. If you want to love God and serve God you can hardly regret that you’re coming to know God better, even though you’ll drop in your own estimation in the process. The hardest truth is better than the most comfortable falsehood, after all!I was pretty much a joyful Christian because I didn’t know how serious my sins were. Ignorance was truly bliss for me. Sometimes I wish I didn’t join CAF and “learnt too much”.