C
CoffeeBeans
Guest
Hi Everybody
* I’m new, but I’ve been lurking on here off and on for years, and I need some good catholic advice!
*
I’ve been dating an absolutely amazing man for several months now; we met online and live about 400 miles apart (soon to be more due to his job).* We skype and talk just about daily and have cleared through all the “big” deal breakers as well as pretty much every little topic I can think of.* We’re both solid catholics discerning marriage ideally in the next year or two.* He’s more than I could ever have asked for and I’ve never clicked so well with anyone before.* Now, we’ve been going back and forth about the possibility of moving to the same town to have some actual “in person” time rather than just a weekend visit every couple weeks.* This is minimum 3-6 months down the road due to his job, so I"m not talking right now.
*
This is where I am hugely conflicted.* I have a good job, and the chance of me being able to do it remotely or find another job in his town is pretty high (they say customer service experience goes anywhere, right?).* He feels very strongly that we should be near each other to get that day-to-day time before getting married, preferably before getting engaged, and while he has said that he’ll quit his extremely good job to move near me if that’s what it comes to to make this work, I hate to ask that.* If this works out, we’ll be very glad of his job and the security/benefits it has.* He’s also willing to pay my relocation expenses to get me back to my hometown if it doesn’t work out and we’ve come up with a way to do that which would hold up even in a nasty breakup, worst case senario although I can’t see that happening at all.
*
On the other hand, I could pretty easily pick up and move anywhere, but when I ran this by my father (I’m 23 and living on my own, but he’s always given solid advice and I respect his opinion quite highly).* He feels very strongly that I should NOT move as this is nearly the same as living together.* He thinks that we’ll just end up spending every moment together with no lives outside each other and that basically moving like that is an effort to be totally positive that he/she’s “the one” before making a move; obviously this isn’t going to work since otherwise all those people living together would have a much lower divorce ratio.* I don’t see this happening, as I would move hell and high water to keep from being the clingy, no life outside of their guy, type of girl.* (Granted, I’m a rather introverted person, but I can make the effort and get myself busy and involved in things with enough motivation and have been for a while now!).
*
I’m not sure what I think, because I see the logic on my bf’s side and quite honestly agree with a lot of it, but I trust the opinion of my dad and have also seen a number of girls do the same thing with terrible results.* Now, I’m not all girls, and our relationship is not at all like the secular ones I’ve seen, but still.*
*
Does anyone have some solid logical reasons that I SHOULDN’T consider moving?* Not just gut reaction (which I get, but my guy is a numbers man and I’d like to do better than that).* I’m so torn and we do need to know fairly soon as he’ll need to redirect his job asap if he has to try to come to me.
(no idea where the odd formatting came from; sorry. I’m trying to do this on my phone
)
*
I’ve been dating an absolutely amazing man for several months now; we met online and live about 400 miles apart (soon to be more due to his job).* We skype and talk just about daily and have cleared through all the “big” deal breakers as well as pretty much every little topic I can think of.* We’re both solid catholics discerning marriage ideally in the next year or two.* He’s more than I could ever have asked for and I’ve never clicked so well with anyone before.* Now, we’ve been going back and forth about the possibility of moving to the same town to have some actual “in person” time rather than just a weekend visit every couple weeks.* This is minimum 3-6 months down the road due to his job, so I"m not talking right now.
*
This is where I am hugely conflicted.* I have a good job, and the chance of me being able to do it remotely or find another job in his town is pretty high (they say customer service experience goes anywhere, right?).* He feels very strongly that we should be near each other to get that day-to-day time before getting married, preferably before getting engaged, and while he has said that he’ll quit his extremely good job to move near me if that’s what it comes to to make this work, I hate to ask that.* If this works out, we’ll be very glad of his job and the security/benefits it has.* He’s also willing to pay my relocation expenses to get me back to my hometown if it doesn’t work out and we’ve come up with a way to do that which would hold up even in a nasty breakup, worst case senario although I can’t see that happening at all.
*
On the other hand, I could pretty easily pick up and move anywhere, but when I ran this by my father (I’m 23 and living on my own, but he’s always given solid advice and I respect his opinion quite highly).* He feels very strongly that I should NOT move as this is nearly the same as living together.* He thinks that we’ll just end up spending every moment together with no lives outside each other and that basically moving like that is an effort to be totally positive that he/she’s “the one” before making a move; obviously this isn’t going to work since otherwise all those people living together would have a much lower divorce ratio.* I don’t see this happening, as I would move hell and high water to keep from being the clingy, no life outside of their guy, type of girl.* (Granted, I’m a rather introverted person, but I can make the effort and get myself busy and involved in things with enough motivation and have been for a while now!).
*
I’m not sure what I think, because I see the logic on my bf’s side and quite honestly agree with a lot of it, but I trust the opinion of my dad and have also seen a number of girls do the same thing with terrible results.* Now, I’m not all girls, and our relationship is not at all like the secular ones I’ve seen, but still.*
*
Does anyone have some solid logical reasons that I SHOULDN’T consider moving?* Not just gut reaction (which I get, but my guy is a numbers man and I’d like to do better than that).* I’m so torn and we do need to know fairly soon as he’ll need to redirect his job asap if he has to try to come to me.
(no idea where the odd formatting came from; sorry. I’m trying to do this on my phone