I
imadesomanymist
Guest
I am a protestant fundamentalist right now, why should i be a Catholic
“The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true.” ~ G.K. ChestertI am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
Because as a baptized Christian, you were brought into the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, and you should live into the fullness of what you were given at baptism.I am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
To claim your rightful inheritance as Jesus’ brother and God the Father’s child.I am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
If you were what you claim, you would not be claiming to be a “fundy” because that is a slur used against evangelicals. They do not call themselves “fundies”. In fact, it is against forum rules to use that term.I am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
Because without the Catholic church you have no Bible to determine what “the fundamentals are”I am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
I am an ex fundy of the Baptist type. I won’t go near them any mpore, and haven’t in some 40 years. I find Catholic church services to be much more worshipful and much more focused on the Lord than fundy ones. Opening a service with “Blessed be God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit” is much more conducive to worship than opening it with “Hey, folks! Isn’t it great to be here today!” I also find through reading that the Catholic church is much closer to the Apostles, the early church and the church fathers than the fundies are.I am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
Do you want a personal relationship with Christ? Great! There can be nothing more personal than to recline at table in the upper room; to sense the presence of the entire host of heaven and the action of the Holy Spirit at the consecration; to eat His Body and drink His Blood; to follow Him to Calvary and stand at the foot of the cross when He says, “Behold your mother”; to look into the empty tomb and realize that He has defeated death and is risen; to realize that He remains in you and you in Him. All of this, and far too much more to describe, once you know, understand and believe the Catholic faith.I am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
I think that the following scriptures will help show why we should all be Catholic:I am a protestant fundy right now, why should i be a catholic
John 8:31-32
Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
In Jesus prayer to the Father just before his death he prays for unity among the apostles and all those that follow them. In doing so he makes some extraordinarily important points about truth and unity. We see this in the following:John 14:6
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Paul preaches the same thing in terms of unity as follows:John 17:17-23
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one.
Can this unity be maintained and provided by sola scriptura? The following scriptures would negate that idea:1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in agreement and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same purpose.
2 Peter 1:20
First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
So how do we get the unity that scripture alone cannot provide? Scripture tells us that we must remain faithful to the “sure word as taught” per 1 Titus 7-9. Furthermore scripture says the following about the** Church**:2 Peter 3:15-16
So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures.
1 Timothy 3:15
…if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the** pillar and bulwark of the truth**.
2 Thess 2:15
So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.
Titus 7:-9
For a bishop, as God’s steward, must be blameless; he must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of goodness, master of himself, upright, holy, and self-controlled; he must hold firm to** the sure word as taught**, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it.
Eph 1:22-23
…the church, which is his body, the fulness of him who fills all in all.
In conclusion we can see the necessity and importance of truth and of unity in truth. Moroever, we see that we must hold fast to “the sure word as taught.” After all, the “sure word as taught” is the truth and it is the truth that sets us free and it is the unity in that truth that preserves the truth and keeps souls within the body of Christ which is the Church. The Church is the body of Christ and it is the pillar and bulwark of the truth which is absolutely necessary for our salvation. Moreover, the reference in Titus 1:7-9 mentions the “bishop”. Clearly, there is a hierarchical structure in the Church and that structure is necessary in preserving truth and unity in teaching.Eph 5:23
…Christ is the head of the church, his body…