U
User124
Guest
Naa. You’re over reacting.I anyone else getting the feeling that this thread should have been titled,
I don’t believe, neither should you.
Naa. You’re over reacting.I anyone else getting the feeling that this thread should have been titled,
I don’t believe, neither should you.
Resdpectfully, I must disagree. In order for a sin to be grave, the act must meet three conditions; grave matter, full knowledge and full consent of the will. The person who commits any sin without meeting any of these three conditions may have sinned, but not gravely.This is incorrect. Suicide is ALWAYS wrong and always gravely sinful. However, culpability may be mitigated depending on the circumstances and the state of mind someone is in at the time they kill themselves. That is why we still must have hope for the salvation of those who have committed suicide.
The chances of that happening are slim, though.And not to be glib, but I recall in Star Trek 5 mentioning that Dr. McCoy’s greatest regret was pulling the plug on his father weeks before a cure for him was found. A movie to be sure, but the logic is sound.
You are confusing “grave” with “mortal.”Resdpectfully, I must disagree. In order for a sin to be grave, the act must meet three conditions; grave matter, full knowledge and full consent of the will. The person who commits any sin without meeting any of these three conditions may have sinned, but not gravely.
I’m sorry for your brothers loss!! Praying for Christ’s mercy to shine upon him!!As someone who has attempted suicide multiple times and failed in my teens and early 20’s, I will tell you this: it really is a permanent (and sinful) solution to a temporary problem.
Granted, while those problems that make one wish for death do go away, more will come. Life really is about struggles and pain. And it sometimes doesn’t get any easier. When one problem goes away a new problem presents itself usually. But that is our mission here. to struggle, suffer, and overcome. And I would rather suffer temporarily here than suffer permanently in hell. That is the one thing that stopped me from completing the act years ago. The thought of being sent away from my Lord for eternity? Not worth it.
My brother killed himself last year…over health issues. While I do understand what drove him to do that, not a day goes by that I don’t wonder where he is now.
I think we might have an issue with semantics. Serious, grave and mortal sins are all the same thing. Suicide is grave matter but not necessarily a grave sin. So, Suicide clearly satisfies the first condition for being a mortal sin. Still, the act of committing suicide may or may not be a serious, mortal, grave sin depending on the knowledge and consent of the will on the part of the person committing the act.You are confusing “grave” with “mortal.”
Sins - even grave sins - are not mortal, when committed without the requisite knowledge.
However, grave sins (serious acts and serious omissions) are always grave sins - it is never a light matter to take someone’s life; even your own.
God does not give us anything that, with Him, we cannot handle.If there is no solution to end that pain, why taking your own life is wrong?
Then why have different words?I think we might have an issue with semantics. Serious, grave and mortal sins are all the same thing.
It is always a grave sin (most serious); it is not always a mortal sin (consequence: Hell).Suicide is grave matter but not necessarily a grave sin.
The english language often uses multiple adjectives to describe something. If something is small, we may call it little, wee or tiny. We get the idea that the object in question is not particularily large.Then why have different words?
No - “grave” is the deepest level of seriousness. “Mortal” refers to the consequence; not to the seriousness.
It is always a grave sin (most serious); it is not always a mortal sin (consequence: Hell).
A sin could be serious but not grave or mortal - for example, stealing your boss’s pen. This is not a trivial matter, but also not grave, and therefore, not mortal.The english language often uses multiple adjectives to describe something. If something is small, we may call it little, wee or tiny. We get the idea that the object in question is not particularily large.
So, if the terms have different meanings as you suggest, would you be good enough to provide an explanation of the differences between a grave, serious and mortal sin? For example, what act would be grave, but not serious or mortal, etc…
I think what you are referring to is matter, not sin. The act in itself is serious in terms of matter. But the depth of culpability for the act (sinful) still takes into account knowledge and consent. You talk about leaving a safe open being a grave sin. If the person were suffering from dementia, there would be virtually no culpability on the part of the person. Thus it is not a grave sin, but rather grave matter (one of the three conditions).A sin could be serious but not grave or mortal - for example, stealing your boss’s pen. This is not a trivial matter, but also not grave, and therefore, not mortal.
A sin could be grave (most serious) but not mortal - inadvertently leaving the safe open in your office, thus allowing thieves to gain access to confidential information. The accidental nature of the action makes it not mortal, but it is still a grave act.
A sin could be mortal (that is, grave, and done with intent) - robbing your boss at gun-point.
I think this is a very hurtful post. I am feeling suicidal now; and to me this is a heartless post.Was this question seriously asked?!?!?!
That is disgusting!!!
The Church bands suicide with good reasons. One its not the right way to solve problems. Two killing yourself is just as bad as killing someone else. Three it’s morally wrong.
And a list of many other reasons. Is this guy serious? What are we suppose to tell our kids? Kill yourselves if you’re having problems in life?
Hi Camellia, I wanted to respond to this, but thought I wouldn’t ignite a discussion on the forums. First of all let me say that I am praying for you. Depression can be a hard thing to work through. Especially when you feel isolated.I think this is a very hurtful post. I am feeling suicidal now; and to me this is a heartless post.
In my own experience, suicide and depression are pretty much linked. The worse the depression is, the more likelt there will be suicidal thoughts.
Now I am not yet 30, I am wanting to be confirmed in the Church - yet I am also feeling suicidal and it is so, so tempting. But I am resisting. And i don’t know why.