I am not sure I would call the work of Adam a tithe, I think that was a vocation or consecration.
With Cain and Abel it doesn’t say how much they gave. They were certainly offerings, and I would guess more akin to the freewill offerings rather than an obligated tithe upon Israel because of Jacob, or a freewill tithe of Abraham which was not of his work, but the spoils of war.
In the sensus plenior Cain and Abel together are a picture of Christ. Cain offered ‘some’ veggies, where Abel offered the best of his flock. In the literal we discern that Cain’s offering did not honor God as God and was more akin to being religious to manipulate God, where Abel’s was out of Love and devotion.
In the sensus plenior Cain’s offering is an ordinary offering. So we ask the riddle, In what way did Jesus offer an ordinary offering? It was his perfect life. It was ordinary because we were all created to offer God our perfect devotion, though we don’t. But it is the offering expected of all, and hence it is ordinary. Since Jesus’s perfect life was insufficient to save us, he still had to die. So when Cain kills Abel, it is a shadow of Jesus laying down his own life for us. The imagery of resurrection continues with Seth being born to replace Abel and him being fruitful and multiplying through his children.
Hear God speaking to Jesus at Gethsemane through the words of God to Cain : If you do right, won’t you be lifted up?
With this imagery, Cain’s sacrifice was the works of Christ in the flesh unto which we all were created (harvesting the garden). And Abel’s Sacrifice is that of the life of Jesus… the shedding of blood.
jcjones
thanks for the reply
(There’s probably typo’s in the fallowing that I missed, I apologize if there be.)
Very nice stuff; most excellent in the understanding of the bread and the wine. But I am not sure it applies here, but then again, it could.
When God said to Abraham (then Abram) Gen:15:1: After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
Note “I am”
what was meat by this? Or:
Ex:3:14: And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Note: “I am”
and when Jesus said Jn:18:6: As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
Note “I am”
and needless to say how many time the Lord God said “**I am **the Lord your God”
who shall give you the power to say “I am” ten thousand years from now? Unless it shall be in Jesus Christ.
Should we not respect the Power of Life to give Life with what is at our hand? And if we don’t then what should we expect at God’s Hand. And also note that the Lord God made it known that “the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground” and to be heard of God the Almighty is just how valuable? And consider that everyone who sot the ear of the Lord God in order to be heard sacrificed what? From then on.
Truly to be heard of God our Creator is through His Sacrifice Jesus Christ.
But in this case we speak of tithe. Note that Abraham made a decision to do what after he heard that Lot was captured? And would he have, if Lot was not amongst the captured? Also note in this same event that it was Melchizedek that came to Abraham. (Note also that this is the first time in scripture were bread and wine are mentioned together and the second time it is mentioned. The first time wine is mentioned is with Noah. The first time bread is mentioned; Gen:3:19: In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; and seconed time bread is mentioned is with Melchizedek.
Gen:14:18: And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
Note king of Salem now known as Jerusalem, and priest of the most high God. And both titles, if you will, we know is Jesus Christ. Who ordained if you will the Bread and the Wine. Hence He Jesus brought the acceptable Bread and Wine.
And fyi the Jewish or Hebrew state in Tora commentary that Melchizedek is Shem son of Noah. And Shem did not pass away until Jacob was 50 years old (if my memory serves) and Noah was tenth generation from Adam and Abram was tenth generation from Noah. The bread mentioned with Adam and the Wine mentioned with Noah.
Son of Noah: Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
Son of Abraham: Isaac sacrifice that God provided Chosen by God through which the world shall be blessed, and mankind is Justified.
Therefore if you have received Christ Jesus and the Bread and the Wine. What was the reason for not respecting God’s Work with tithe?