I do not see how your statements square with your churches official teaching. These books were given to the church, not the other way around, “were as such committed to the church”.
I read your official churches teachings to be that God determined their inspiration and it appears you are advocating the opposite.
ausgustine’s view should not trump official church teaching should it?
Not to argue to argue but I honestly do not see how your view matches up.
You would agree that because God is their author they were insprired the second they were written, correct?
BH
Brian-
I’m kinda jumping in mid-thread here, so bear with me if I’m misunderstanding your concerns.
Imagine for just a moment that you are Paul, or Peter or John or James. You’ve been preaching the gospel for years, travelling from town to town, building up the Churches. You receive word from one of the converts you’ve been discipling (let’s call him Timothy) that he’s having a few problems being respected because he’s young. What do you do?
You could pay him a visit OR you could write him a letter. Let’s imagine that you do the latter. Do you think you, Paul, would have recognized that your first Letter to Timothy was inspired by the Holy Spirit - that it was God-breathed (
theopneustos) scripture on par with the Pentateuch - while the ink was still drying?
Maybe. But I doubt it. Peter declares that Paul’s writings were “scripture”, but I’m not sure that Peter would have said the same about the letter in which he made that statement! I seriously doubt that ANY of the NT writers would have considered their works anything more than private correspondence - with the possible exception of Revelation which John wrote down after receiving His vision.
Later, however, the Church came to
recognize - by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit - which of the many letters and books were truly inspired and which were not.
I want to emphasize that the books of the NT were not
declared to be scripture (thus giving them a nautre that they did not previously have) but were
recognized as scripture by an infallible Church led by the Holy Spirit. The books of the NT are scripture because they are “God-breathed” not because they are “Church canonized”.
In one sense, the Church “produced” the NT scriptures from her own experience in living the gospel of Jesus, and in another sense, she “received” the gift of the NT scriptures from the Holy Spirit through the inspired authors.
The Church wrote the scriptures under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
The Church recognized the scriptures under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
The Church preserved the scriptures under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
The Church protects the scriptures under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Hope this helps.