Why weren't the Jews told to spread the news of God?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gripper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered why they weren’t but Jesus told us to spread the Gospel, why didn’t God tell the Jews to spread the news of Him and spread Judaism?

It seems that most of the world at the time were following false gods, why wouldn’t God want other nations to follow Him the same way as the Jews?
Short answer
  1. Before ascending back to heaven, Jesus gave the following instructions to His apostles.
Matt 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, “Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, 6 but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And preach as you go, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons…

One could ask, why are the sheep of the house of Israel …LOST?
THEY are part of the first people of the covenant.
  1. We need to consider, the Church in the beginning was 100% Jewish.
Therefore

Jesus DID tell Jews (His apostles) to spread the faith 😎

Just NOT spread Judaism, but Christianity AND His Church that He established on Peter and those in perfect union with Peter. The Church Jesus gave all His promises of salvation to, the Catholic Church 🙂

Last edited:
I think they were. That was the whole point of the nation of Israel, to lead the nations in the right praise of God. But they failed, over and over they became conformed to the societies around them and forgot their purpose.
I wouldn’t say they ‘forgot their purpose’ because they ‘became conformed to the societies around them’. I think many simply turned their back on God.

I wouldn’t say they ‘forgot their purpose’ because they ‘became conformed to the societies around them’.
Ezekiel 20:8 “But they rebelled and refused to listen to me; none of them threw away the detestable things that held their eyes, nor did they abandon the idols of Egypt.“…they were worshiping Egyptian gods.

2 Kings 7-8: “Israelites sinned against the LORD, their God, who had brought them up from the land of Egypt, from under the hand of Pharaoh, king of Egypt. They venerated other gods, they followed the rites of the nations whom the LORD had dispossessed before the Israelites and those that the kings of Israel had practiced”…again, worshiping the gods of other nations. You’re right they turned their backs on God, but I still maintain it’s because they wanted to be like everyone else, conforming to the societies of the More worldly countries around them.

Last edited:
Well these days I think these ‘other idols’ would be money and vice, rather than Egyptian bird statues.

The reason I reject the idea of Jews ‘conforming to the societies around them’ is because it makes it sound as if they were inherently good, society was inherently bad, and they were led astray by this bad society to become good themselves.

Some Jews now play prominent roles in pushing vice in the world, be it in Hollywood and other types of media or in politics. Would you lay the blame for this on non-Jews?

The reason some people are actually suspicious/weary of Jews, is because they believe they do not conform or integrate to the societies they reside in, but keep to themselves and their own ways. I’m not saying that’s a justified reason to dislike them, but that is often an accusation levelled their way.

And Luke 2:32. A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

Right…I think we are confusing each other a little bit.

I am speaking specifically of the biblical Israelites and their mission from God to sanctify the world. They did not accomplish their mission, because instead of staying faithful to the worship of God they began to take on the customs and gods of other nations. The prophets came over and over again to warn them of the false worship. They forgot what their mission was, so God sent his Son, Jesus Christ. After that, it became the mission of the Church.

If you would like, we can certainly transpose these events as symbolic of what is happening in today’s world, but instead of talking about the Jews, lets talk about Christians, since the Church is the New Israel. Those nominal Christians who push vice in this world have turned from the true worship of God and his commandments, and have taken on the ‘gods’ and customs of secular society; money, power, sex, pleasure. It’s not ALL Christians of course, but we better watch out!

We have to be careful that we listen and respond to God’s call to sanctify the world, and we should use the biblical Israelites as an example of what happens when that goes off the tracks.

Last edited:
Right…I think we are confusing each other a little bit.

I am speaking specifically of the biblical Israelites and their mission from God to sanctify the world. They did not accomplish their mission, because instead of staying faithful to the worship of God they began to take on the customs and gods of other nations. The prophets came over and over again to warn them of the false worship. They forgot what their mission was, so God sent his Son, Jesus Christ. After that, it became the mission of the Church.

If you would like, we can certainly transpose these events as symbolic of what is happening in today’s world, but instead of talking about the Jews, lets talk about Christians, since the Church is the New Israel. Those nominal Christians who push vice in this world have turned from the true worship of God and his commandments, and have taken on the ‘gods’ and customs of secular society; money, power, sex, pleasure. It’s not ALL Christians of course, but we better watch out!

We have to be careful that we listen and respond to God’s call to sanctify the world, and we should use the biblical Israelites as an example of what happens when that goes off the tracks.
Thank you for an astoundingly insightful post. God provided the Prophets but His chosen people wanted a King. Today His people want a King with all the customs of secular society. Who are the Prophets in our time?

There are many other groups besides Jews who “keep to themselves and their own ways.” That phrase has indeed been the anti-immigrant rallying call for decades and centuries. However, most immigrants assimilate, even as early as the second generation, and that is true as well for many Jews.

And the notion that it is Jews in particular who are “pushing vice in the world, be it in Hollywood and other types of media or in politics” is an old canard.

Last edited:
And the notion that it is Jews in particular who are “pushing vice in the world, be it in Hollywood and other types of media or in politics” is an old canard.
I have gone over this in another thread, but happy to again.

This notion comes quite simply from a biblical understanding of things. Even someone like Dr. Michael L. Brown (have you heard of him?), a theology professor and himself a Messianic Jew (or Jew who converted to Christianity. Not exactly sure how he sees himself) who often defends Jews when he feels they are unfairly criticised, subscribes to the theory that Jews were specifically singled out by God (his chosen people) in order to do good in the world so it has a greater impact when they do something bad. They were given that ‘something extra’ by God in order to be able to do this, and those Jews who are not doing it and are indeed doing the opposite of this, are causing this world great harm. I think he likes to say something along the lines of ‘when they get it right, they get it really right. When they get it wrong, they get it badly wrong’.

It’s the ‘with great power comes great responsibility’ idea, and according to Brown (and not only him) the Jewish people have been given great power by God. Some have done great things. The Christian church was founded by Jews in fact, the 1st disciples of Christ. What a great thing that was. Sadly, others haven’t.

I’m not saying Jews are the only ones who push and promote vice, but if we’re going with a biblically based theory, then they have greater power to do good and evil in the world than others and many are unfortunately choosing to do evil. That’s why some see it as a greater tragedy if Jews do or promote vice, because they were supposed to be a light to the world.

I have heard of Michael Brown, and, to me, his interpretation is, at best, wrong, and, at worst, a veiled kind of anti-Semitic rationalization. I would not base my understanding of the history of the Jewish people solely on Brown’s writing or on like-minded so-called scholars.

Last edited:
Dr. Michael L. Brown
There are many other groups besides Jews who “keep to themselves and their own ways.” That phrase has indeed been the anti-immigrant rallying call for decades and centuries. However, most immigrants assimilate, even as early as the second generation, and that is true as well for many Jews.

good point.

As a Catholic, I can say, There are people of all categories of titles, who identify as “Catholic”. Obviously we shouldn’t tar an entire faith for the bad examples of a few who are bad examples of the faith…

Last edited:
I have heard of Michael Brown, and, to me, his interpretation is, at best, wrong, and, at worst, a veiled kind of anti-Semitic rationalization.
And yet funnily enough most people who have heard of him see him as very pro-Jewish.
As someone from a country with dozens of ethnic communities, I find that some people confuse “assimilation” with “keeping one’s culture alive while also being part of wider society.” Most immigrants fall into the second category.
No problem with that, but why is it that in some countries, usually in the west, it is seen as inappropriate or even racist for the indigenous citizens of a country to celebrate their culture and heritage? The US and UK in particular, come to mind.

(a bit off topic I know)

40.png
meltzerboy2:
However, most immigrants assimilate, even as early as the second generation, and that is true as well for many Jew
As someone from a country with dozens of ethnic communities, I find that some people confuse “assimilation” with “keeping one’s culture alive while also being part of wider society.” Most immigrants fall into the second category.
As one can see, America has just about every ethnic group on the planet living here. We in this country are ALL immigrants.

I’ll just add,

Some groups in certain geographical regions of the country, fit your second example to a “T”
They even stay tightly knit into their communities.

However,

As we also can see, in this country, over time, MOST people integrate, and while ethnic traditions remain, over time, they do assimilate. They no longer feel like an “immigrant”

Last edited:
but why is it that in some countries, usually in the west, it is seen as inappropriate or even racist for the indigenous citizens of a country to celebrate their culture and heritage? The US and UK in particular, come to min
I have no idea, and do not find it to be so. I have participated in cultural celebrations of friends of my same nationality but of different ethnic heritage and have never heard anyone complain about it.

40.png
Polak:
but why is it that in some countries, usually in the west, it is seen as inappropriate or even racist for the indigenous citizens of a country to celebrate their culture and heritage? The US and UK in particular, come to min
I have no idea, and do not find it to be so. I have participated in cultural celebrations of friends of my same nationality but of different ethnic heritage and have never heard anyone complain about it.
Same for me as well.

It’s all just back to Ormuzd and Ahriman dualism, it’s necessary for haters to project the hated as both strong (thus threatening) and weak (so the good guys can triumph).

Same for me as well.
Well you are fortunate. There are those in the UK who get accused of racism for simply having the England flag up at their home.

Your statement is false.
I have heard of Michael Brown, and, to me, his interpretation is, at best, wrong, and, at worst, a veiled kind of anti-Semitic rationalization.
Some Orthodox Jews believe they are chosen and here to be a light to the world, while those Jews who don’t spread God’s goodness are poisoning it. Are they also rationalising anti-Semitism?

I’m sure the world does not lack for peculiar people who would take issue with an Englishman flying an English flag while in English territory, but your explanation makes sense and probably accounts for a sizeable portion of such cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back