Why weren't the Jews told to spread the news of God?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gripper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shabbetai Tzvi converted to Islam under pain of death, and supposedly practiced Judaism secretly while being a Muslim to the external world.
It’s one of the three mitzvot you have to die to keep. It’s not like kashrus where the only food available is pork and shellfish. Yoy don’t have to die to keep kashrus but you do have to die to avoid avodah zara. And apostasy to Islam is avodah zara even if Muslims aren’t avdei avodah zara. Compulsion doesn’t mitigate the chilul hashem.

But is it gossip to say Jews run Hollywood? I think that would fall under angering the goyim; a separate prohibition. I don’t expect Joel Stein cares, but I would expect Alan Dershowitz to know better.

I would generally agree with your assessment of the conversion/atheism issue but would say that Christianity has a very special status in the minds of Jews that has more to do with the relationship between Jews and early Christians more than any negative interactions in medieval Europe.

Do you live in the UK? If you do, you can’t seriously tell me you haven’t seen and heard of cases of people being called racist for celebrating their British heritage. Heck, to some, patriotism is racism.

I’m too tired right now (about to go to bed) to go through the internet searching out the sources, but will provide one example for you. Kehinde Andrews, have you heard of him? He is constantly invited on television by the mainstream media, and basically thinks that British patriotism is racism.
There is even, among some, the notion that G-d chose the Jews LAST to spread his message due to the fact that other nations refused to take on such a responsibility.
I have not heard this. Where does this notion come from?
This message is also not unique to Judaism, for Christianity likewise believes, as you no doubt realize, that its message, the Gospel, is meant to be preached to all the nations of the world. So, do you also believe that when Christians are not practicing the message of the Gospel, they too are “poisoning the well,” so to speak, or does that claim apply only to the Jews?
Christians behaving badly also does a lot of harm. I even created a topic on dangerous Catholics, but that could also be on dangerous Christians.

The difference with Jews, if the theory Dr Brown and others state is correct (and I know you don’t agree with it) is that Jews have this (perhaps God given?) ability to be more influential in this world, so if they use that influence to push vice, they are effectively taking God’s gift and using it to spite him. Now you suggest that God chose them despite themselves, because they were weak, and if that’s the case, then no, Jews not promoting the word of God and doing bad things would perhaps not be any worse than Christians doing the same.
Dr. Michael Brown is a convert to Christianity, and no longer a Jew. There is a difference according to the tenets of Judaism. He may regard himself as a Jew, a Messianic Jew, or a “fulfilled” Jew, but most, if not all, the streams of Judaism, no longer consider him one.
Am I right in thinking the majority of Jews are atheists? Would they consider him Jewish, if they consider themselves Jewish, when they too are not religiously Jewish, or does believing in Christ stop you being a true Jew (I have heard this theory given by a rabbi on television)?
how Jews view Michael Brown’s relationship to them has no bearing on the issue of a double standard when it comes to it being okay for Jews to talk about Jews and non-Jews not being allowed to say the same exact things.
I agree with @MiserereMeiDei. There are multiple examples where a non-Jew stating the exact same thing stated by a Jew, is considered anti-Semitic for stating it.

Kehinde Andrews, have you heard of him? He is constantly invited on television by the mainstream media, and basically thinks that British patriotism is racism.
Will look him up in a bit, but just out of curiosity, does the patriotism he is referring to entail claiming that British people of non-English ancestry (British Indians, British Muslims, etc…) are not British?

Last edited:
You’ve set up a bit of a straw man argument there @(name removed by moderator). You’t asked me to prove a point I didn’t make.

Where did I state there was a plethora of cases of people being told to take flags down? I didn’t. I said that people get accused of racism for having them.

Also, I really don’t see the point in providing you with links if you’re just going to make up reasons to dismiss them.

The Metro isn’t known for exaggerating stories. I have never heard this opinion about it. I’ve heard that said about The Sun, or the Daily Mail, but never the Metro.

The 2nd article states that 24 percent of people ‘say they consider their flag to be racist’. Whatever the reason they may have for that, that’s insane that they think the flag itself is racist. In another article, linked to in that article, it states that England is the least patriotic country in Europe, with ‘political correctness and a fear of appearing racist’ considered to be the main factors in that. I suppose now you’ll tell me The Telegraph can’t be trusted either.

By the way I found those 3 links in the space of a few minutes before bed. I’m sure if you do a bit more research, you’ll find better examples.
Will look him up in a bit, but just out of curiosity, does the patriotism he is referring to entail claiming that British people of non-English ancestry (British Indians, British Muslims, etc…) are not British?
Incorrect. I’ve watched and read a lot of what he has to say in videos, in written pieces and on his social media timeline. His views go far beyond what you claim, and he seems to be particularly obsessed with race and white people. In fact, I would even go as far as to say his views are quite racist at times.

Anyway, I think we are veering quite a bit off topic here.

I wondered why they weren’t but Jesus told us to spread the Gospel, why didn’t God tell the Jews to spread the news of Him and spread Judaism?

It seems that most of the world at the time were following false gods, why wouldn’t God want other nations to follow Him the same way as the Jews?
God used His chosen people to ultimately reveal Himself fully to the world when the time was ripe, literally giving birth through them to the Messiah.

But the whole “gestation” process would involve man’s first falling into darkness and ignorance and exiled into a brave new world free from God’s direct control in the moral sphere, with God nevertheless immediately beginning to work with man, eventually educating and cultivating a certain people through which He may introduce His light so that man might ultimately come into that light and out of darkness.

It’s a process, both within human history and then within our own individual histories, as the time is ripe (Gal 4:4).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back