Why wouldn't a Protestant want to receive the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist

• Thread starter Thread starter AtheistNoMore
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
And then there are those Anglicans. Who knows what one of them might believe/affirm?

I have a question for anyone who may know the answer, and it involves the proper distribution of holy Communion in a Lutheran Church, particularly the LCMS, Missouri Synod. I know a Lutheran Pastor who knowingly gives The Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ to a church member who is cohabiting with another person. The Pastor, for example, doesn’t like the idea of the Catholic Church law stating that it is forbidden to give Communion to divorced persons, saying that it is sinful and selfish, and denies them the Body and Blood of Christ, and that the Catholic Church is the one that is denying a Christian the right (his word) to receive the Real Presence, and it not being “Christian.” He’s making the Catholic Church to be the one who is committing a grave sin. He’s entitled to his beliefs, He’s not Catholic, and I get that. Don’t agree, but I get it. Nut to regularly give Holy Communion to a person who is living with another person without being married, and on top of that, the person who is doing co-habiting, well, their parents are members of the same congregation and attend services regularly. The person receiving Communion was married previously, in a Lutheran church, but he/she only had a church wedding, and did not proceed or even given thought to getting a marriage certificate from the state/county. The Pastors the Elders, and the parents did this intentionally (yes, a conspiracy) so as the then “married” couple could continue receiving Welfare and SNAP. They assumed that a church marriage would be sufficient. The primary reason why they were “married” in the first place was that the girl was pregnant. Since then, the couple had long split up, and now the person who is communing met another person, had another child with another man, and is living in the house of Lutheran parents who belong to that particular Lutheran congregation which I just mentioned. They certainly cannot get divorced because they were never legally married in the first place, right? And what about the fact that even if the Pastor in question knows all the facts, wouldn’t cohabitation be compounded by bigamy (or would it just be adultery since they never “remarried” in the church?) since the persons are still married, at least in the eyes of the Lutheran Church? Forgive my ignorance, but is it customary for a Pastor to give Holy Communion to a person (s) living with another and not being married (Not married civilly, that is,?

Last edited:
Rejection of Transubstantiation should never result in the rejection of the truth of the real presence
Obviously, Protestants don’t believe Transubstantiation is “true” or supported by the Greek in the NT, while Catholics do believe it’s true. But the OP was asking for a Protestant POV, regardless if it’s true or not.

They certainly cannot get divorced because they were never legally married in the first place, right? And what about the fact that even if the Pastor in question knows all the facts, wouldn’t cohabitation be compounded by bigamy (or would it just be adultery since they never “remarried” in the church?) since the persons are still married, at least in the eyes of the Lutheran Church?
I cannot speak for Lutherans, Catholics, or other groups under Christendom, but from what some read from the NT, the clergy has the obligation to inform those present during communion that any unresolved or unrepentant sin a person or couple is engaged in, they would be taking communion in an “unworthy manner” (1 Corinthians 11:27), and then explain to them what that means & the spiritual consequences of them doing so. Then, the individual or couple has the responsibility of accepting those consequences if they decide to take communion, but there is nothing in 1 Corinthians 11 or elsewhere in the NT where the clergy must “forbid” them from receiving communion at that point.

As far as a couple just having a “church wedding” but not through the state, technically, they are still legally married in the eyes of the Lord. Still, Romans 13 states Christians should be obedient to their governing authorities, as they were set up by God to protect society. So, if the law only recognizes a “marriage” by officially getting a marriage license & going to the courthouse, they should do so out of obedience to the law. However, if they don’t & split up, and then one or both of them engage in sexual activity with another, they are committing adultery since they are legally married. And if they “marry” another person, even though the state doesn’t consider it bigamy, they are committing bigamy in the eyes of the Lord since their first church service “marriage” valid before him.

Personally, I don’t think the government should be in the “marriage business,” and have it solely a “church issue,” except for not allowing adults to “marry” minors in order to protect them.

As far as the Lutheran pastor “getting around” the law so they can receive governmental benefits, he will be accountable for God for any sexual deviancy they commit (ie: adultery, bigamy, etc).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
By “church issue,” I wasn’t referring to having a marriage ceremony in a church building, but was referring to marriage not being governed by the government, but by consenting adults. Where the ceremony takes place is irrelevant.

40.png
JonNC:
Rejection of Transubstantiation should never result in the rejection of the truth of the real presence
Obviously, Protestants don’t believe Transubstantiation is “true” or supported by the Greek in the NT, while Catholics do believe it’s true. But the OP was asking for a Protestant POV, regardless if it’s true or not.
It depends on the Protestant.
There are Anglicans who do.

Last edited:
And you must have no mortal sins in your soul which haven’t been confessed.
There is another group, told to me by a member of the Church of Christ, which is that many feel unworthy to receive, especially since there are only 144,000 resurrected to heavenly life. (Revelation 7:4)

There are Catholics who are pro-abortion and advocate same sex “marriage” too, but obviously this is not at all reflective of Catholic belief which is pro-life and marriage ONLY being between one man and one woman.

40.png
JonNC:
There are Catholics who are pro-abortion and advocate same sex “marriage” too, but obviously this is not at all reflective of Catholic belief which is pro-life and marriage ONLY being between one man and one woman.
This is a different thing because there are Anglican bodies in which transubstantiation is their corporate belief regarding the Eucharist. The strict Anglo-Catholic bodies are not in communion with Canterbury and are not in any way bound by Cranmer’s or Hooker’s teachings on the Eucharist.

Last edited:
And there are Anglicans who don’t even believe they are protestants.

I do love me some (of the ) Anglicans.

40.png
JonNC:
True, but if I am talking about what Catholics believe, I’m speaking of Church teaching.
Again the problem with “Protestant “, because Protestant isn’t a communion.

I would say many protestants are taught wrong
I would say that this is a misunderstanding. It’s like saying Catholics worship Mary. Protestants are not taught “wrong.” Their beliefs are different which does not make their beliefs wrong or those of the RCC “right.”

I definetly would not say it is a misunderstanding, it is completely bad teaching that stems from bad teachers

I definetly would not say it is a misunderstanding, it is completely bad teaching that stems from bad teachers
Telling someone they are “wrong” is not at all Christ-like because you close off all means of understanding why one would believe the way they do. The attitude of the Church being the absolute authority and that all other faiths are “wrong” is one of the reasons I struggle with Catholicism(among other issues which have nothing to do with the subject at hand.) I was raised Catholic, was a Catholic Youth Minister and yet, here I am…struggling. I have found that many Protestants have a general misunderstanding of many things Catholics believe and many have said the RCC is “wrong” based on those misconceptions, but with understanding and and open heart they are receptive of hearing the root of a specific doctrine or belief.

“Bad teaching” and Bad teachers" just says to someone, “I don;t care what you believe, it;s my Church’s way or no way at all.” I think even Jesus would have heard some of us out.

Last edited:
Telling someone if they are wrong is most definitely the Christian thing to do, not telling someone is letting them embrace hell. FYI I am not Catholic and evangelicals are absolutely positively wrong and completely taught wrong. Good day sir!

The question in the title is for Protestants right? I’m going to guess it’s a question for reasons why we believe that scripture doesn’t teach what Catholicism says it does. Points have been made from the Protestant view. It doesn’t make for a sensible conversation if you ask a question of “why” and then follow it up with “you’re wrong”.

I’m confident we all know there’s differences in our theologies. To discuss why one side believes in said theology has merits for understanding.

I don’t mean to single you out on this point but you as a Catholic aren’t actually entitled to your own opinion. You must believe whatever Catholicism (the church) says you must believe.

The crux of our differences between Catholicism and Protestantism is authority. Individually we can have discussions but here’s why they are mostly fruitless. From the Catholic view all discussions start with (our Church / religion is infallible and incapable of ever being in error when it comes to doctrine). That’s pretty much the end of all debate.

Protestantism puts all authority in God’s word and not to any institution of mankind. I hope you see my points.

I don’t mean to single you out on this point but you as a Catholic aren’t actually entitled to your own opinion. You must believe whatever Catholicism (the church) says you must believe.
Did you read my last post? I am not Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back