Why wouldn't a Protestant want to receive the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist

• Thread starter Thread starter AtheistNoMore
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
ing someone if they are wrong is most definitely the Christian thing to do, not telling someone is letting them embrace hell
I didn’t know that not believing in true presence meant you were embracing hell?

Btw, it’s ma’am, not sir. You have a great day, yourself

Yes…and “love is patient, love is kind…it doesn’t insist on its own way…”

Hi shorter_name

Just to comment on your post , the Catholic Church doesn’t say every other faith is ‘wrong’ , she simply proclaims the fullness of the truth through the office of the Magisterium .(teachings which are inspired by the Holy Spirit and therefore infallible and absolute ) . In John 16:13 Jesus said …’‘When He, the Spirit of truth shall come, He will guide you into ALL the truth’’

Jesus didn’t just establish an invisible Church with all His members, He established a visible one also in the authoritative teaching office of the Magisterium. A church without authority is a church in disorder , confusion and error.

In the Catechism the Church actually discusses other faiths … saying that some faiths hold some of the truth or measures of it but yet ultimately God is calling all people into the Catholic Church which is the fullness of the truth. Your right in saying that many protestants have misconceptions of the Catholic faith which need to be broken down and thus informed, but that can only happen if they are receptive to it.

Last edited:
Church doesn’t say every other faith is ‘wrong’ , she simply proclaims the fullness of the truth through the office of the Magisterium .(teachings which are inspired by the Holy Spirit and therefore infallible and absolute ) . In John 16:13 Jesus said …’‘When He, the Spirit of truth shall come, He will guide you into ALL the truth’’

Jesus didn’t just establish an invisible Church with all His members, He established a visible one also in the authoritative teaching office of the Magisterium. A church without authority is a church in disorder , confusion and error.

In the Catechism the Church actually discusses other faiths … saying that some faiths hold some of the truth or measures of it but yet ultimately God is calling all people into the Catholic Church which is the fullness of the truth. Your right in saying that many protestants have misconceptions of the Catholic faith which need to be broken down and thus informed, but that can only happen if they are receptive to it.
Thanks, I am well aware of all of this as a (non practicing) Catholic. My point is saying someone is taught wrong by bad teachers, and keeping people from embracing hell (uh, not believing in true presence is far from embracing hell)

Sometimes being extremecis what turns people away from the Church.

telling someone they are ''wrong ‘’ is not helpful. It is about informing them of what the Church actually teaches, explaining it and breaking down those misconceptions that non-catholics may have of the catholic faith.

The question was asked on this thread and I stand by my comment. I must say you all are assuming a lot here. All I did was respond to the OP and I do not like getting jumped on over my opinion. Maybe I made a mistake coming here I thought this would be a good place away from evangelicals and their many heresies, I see now that I may have been wrong

For a long time I was away from the Catholic Faith. I practiced as a Baptist for awhile. When the Lords Supper was represented for “memorial”, I can remember feelings of solemnity like you experienced in the Mass, however, i always remember being sad and almost wanting to cry during those “memorial” moments… almost like someone taking a picture of the wall of my grandmother and leaving only the faint dusty remnant of where the portrait once hung.

This is what it is like now that I came back to the Catholic Church. Almost like seeing that portrait once again, but more stronger and more real. Like actually having that person you love actually in the room with you, REALLY present. it is more than just being reverent and solemn, its like being REUNITED to the one you love. And for me this is like finding the joy that you would have if you were presently reunited with someone who died-- like a spouse or a child.

if you see smiles, then it is possible that for those Catholics who truly believe in the Real Presence, this may be the feelings that they are experiencing-- it is truly Communion with our Lord!

Peace 🙏

Last edited:
I firmly believe the vast majority of protestants are ignorant of the biblical teachings of the Body & Blood of Jesus. Most don’t take the time to educate themselves on their religious history. We are far enough down the road from the reformation that there are several generations of protestants that are protestants because of family tradition (their parents and grandparents are protestant so they are). I believe the rest that know the teachings but reject that the bread & wine truly become our Lord are doing so because they don’t want to submit to the authority of the catholic church. That is not to say that the catholic church is perfect, but its teachings are true. The church institution has had its peaks and valleys over its history just like Israel did in the Old Testament.

believe the rest that know the teachings but reject that the bread & wine truly become our Lord are doing so because they don’t want to submit to the authority of the catholic church
I think it’s simply a matter of what they’ve been taught and raised with. They are given the interpretation of the Last Supper as a memorial and have no reason…less challenged…to view it otherwise. Protestant churches that teach it as a memorial only have justified their view for fie hundred years…the average church goer has no reason to view it otherwise and if challenged, they go to their own sources for validation. I don’t think they are being obstinate or unwilling to submit to authority…they HAVE the authority of their own church whether you agree with them or not. It’s a bit unfair to accuse them of rejecting the RCC when they are actually accepting their own churches authority.

Lately there has been a uptick in well known evangelical pastors pushing a real presence doctrine. Benny Hinn is one who not only believes in it, but he also recently repented of his health and wealth gospel.

Another one i just saw today called Joseph Prince. He says the language in John 6 can not be strictly symbolic and is pushing his congregation towards real presence belief.

So if I understand some of our non-Catholic brothers and sisters here correctly, some people wish to receive the body and blood our Lord only by faith. What exactly does this mean? Why limit encountering Christ only through faith when a physical means of receiving Him is available (i.e. the Eucharist)? Why wouldn’t someone want this most intimate encounter with Him? Why the de-emphasis on the physical?

Last edited:
Lately there has been a uptick in well known evangelical pastors pushing a real presence doctrine.
This isn’t new. Pentecostals have always believed the Lord’s Supper was a special means of healing. Oral Roberts called it a “point of contact” by which the Holy Spirit could work through the faith of the recipient. And of course, both of these ministers (Benny Hinn and Joseph Prince) at most would advocate a spiritual presence view; they aren’t advocating a corporeal presence. Benny is very careful to emphasize that it’s the body and blood “in the Spirit”.

Last edited:
What exactly does this mean?
Receiving by faith means that we receive the Lord’s body by faith, not by chewing with our mouths. We receive his precious blood by faith, not by drinking from a cup. The elements do not change from bread to flesh or wine to blood. However, through the power of the Holy Spirit, we receive what is signified and are spiritually nourished and strengthened as we feed on Christ.

Last edited:
Benny says that to us it’s symbolic…but Jesus said this is my body, he didn’t say this is a symbol of my body.

Sounds more like Luther than today’s evangelicals.

I am quite interested in hearing more about Hinns repentance of his health and wealth gospel. Please give us more info on that.

Hopefully no one out there in the Catholic world thinks that the likes of Benny Hinn or Kenneth Copeland who have both been courting Catholic attention, thinks that these men are a fair representation of what is termed by Catholics as “Protestant.”

They know full well which side of their toast is buttered.

but protestants do use communion , does everyone in your family carry the family traditions alike / wasn’t it JESUS WHO told the pharisees they were overly concerned about their traditions

Receiving by faith means that we receive the Lord’s body by faith, not by chewing with our mouths. We receive his precious blood by faith, not by drinking from a cup.
So if you are not consuming the body and blood of Christ with your mouth, what body and blood are you receiving?
The elements do not change from bread to flesh or wine to blood.
That is not correct. This is what our priests say immediately before the consecration: "While they were eating, He took some bread, and after a blessing He broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is My body.” And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And He said to them, “This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.” (Mark 14:22-24)

Again, why the de-emphasis on the physical? Why did Jesus tell us this IS His body and blood multiple times?

Last edited:
Benny says that to us it’s symbolic…but Jesus said this is my body, he didn’t say this is a symbol of my body.
He says around 50 second mark, “I believe, I always have believed, that in the Spirit it is his body. In the Spirit, it is his blood [unintelligible] There is healing in communion.”
Sounds more like Luther than today’s evangelicals.
This is not Lutheran doctrine. There is no corporeal presence. It’s best likened to the spiritual presence view found in Reformed churches, but it’s perfectly in line with traditional Pentecostal views on divine healing and its relation to the Lord’s Supper.

Not all evangelicals have a strictly memorial view of the Lord’s Supper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back