This is what I’ve come to expect from “devout” Roman Catholics (see SunnaB16’s “comments” to what I posted). There is no good argument against what I said,
To save your having to go back to an earlier post, here
s the Bible translation comparison again: Douay Rheims Bible: "...and **death and *hell*** gave up their dead that were in them." New King James Version: "...and **death and *hades*** delivered up the dead ..." Revised Standard Version: "...**Death and *Hades*** gave up the dead in them." Good News Bible: "**Death and *the world of the dead*** also gave up the dead they had." Compare the Douay Rheims (revised circa 1750) passage with the Good News (1960s?) passage. The word "hell" has been replaced by "the world of the dead", because these days, "hell" has (for most of us) become more specific, and refers only to the state of the damned souls. In other words, there is a good argument against what you said. And there are others. Our Lords (human) soul went to the “abode” of the souls who couldn`t enjoy the Heavenly state until His mission was completed.
Some background to Gehenna/Hell was mentioned…
so there is an ad hominen attack upon me (and a red herring thrown in for good measure).
Eh? It
s after 1:00am (Monday) here, and my eyes are hanging out. Wheres the red herring?
Speaking of red herrings, your reference to the parable of Lazarus and the rich man is a red herring (unintended). At the risk of sounding like a parrot: the recent restriction in "hell’`s meaning…
SunnaB16 ignored the comments I recalled hearing from my priest when I was **still very Catholic in high school **(which is very close to the comments I made), instead accusing me of receiving “false teaching” from whatever religion I embraced after leaving the RC Church. I did scan the CCC, and found no reference to Rev 20:13, but there were references to Hell (go
here and search for Hell). If I’m wrong in my understanding, it’s because of what my priest taught when I was still Catholic.
“…still very Catholic in high school…” If your catechesis at school was no better than mine was…you wouldn
t have learned much Catholic teaching... So you may well have ended up with a caricature of what the Church really is. At high school, i thought flying saucers were more exciting. Re the Catechism: Its no good just looking at paragraphs in isolation.
In reference to what the priest said:
The county jail would be “where” the disembodied immortal spiritual souls of the damned are: a STATE, rather than a PLACE.
Come Doomsday: the souls of the damned are (re)united with bodies “which” are shipped off to the penitentiary. But, it
s a bit of a misleading analogy. Do you understand that a spirit consists of intellect and will, and doesnt occupy 3-dimensional space? In other words, the county jail would have to continue to exist as a STATE for the souls of the damned. Or else, get rid of it right at the start. The closest that we come to “locating” a spirit is to say that a spirit is where “it:” acts. Or: a spirit is wherever “its” intellect and will are focussed.
I would ask SunnaB16 how it is that a “state” of Hell can have gates (see Matt 16:18)?
How about a metaphor? Our lord called Himself a “Vine” etc. The world`s full of metaphors.
In regard to purgatory, that was just a quick aside and not meant for comment since it is not on topic.
It may have been a “quick aside”, but you still mentioned it. So, i had a right to respond. You`re right to deny that such a “place” exists. In reply, i said that Purgatory is a STATE.
Instead of using that vague term “Former Roman Catholic”. why don
t you be more specific? At least i dont hide where i stand.
Time to go beddy byes…