Will the Brown Scapular protect one from committing mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ben_Sinner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben_Sinner

Guest
If one wears the Brown Scapular, not as a presumptive ‘get out of hell free’ card…but with sincerity to avoid mortal sin, will they be protected from falling into mortal sin?

I wear mine every day and I struggle with very blasphemous temptations that tempt me to stop believing in the faith, but I still keep hope that as long as I have the Scapular on, I will never cross the line and actually go through with my apostasy because the promise is it will keep me from hell.

Is this wishful thinking, or is this actually part of the promise Mother Mary gave?
 
It’s wishful thinking. Your free will tops everything. You can choose or not choose to commit a mortal sin at anytime; the brown scapular will give you the grace you need to overcome it, but you still have the right and power to make the choice.
 
It’s wishful thinking. Your free will tops everything. You can choose or not choose to commit a mortal sin at anytime; the brown scapular will give you the grace you need to overcome it, but you still have the right and power to make the choice.
This. I wear the brown scapular and can attest that it does not completely keep one from committing a mortal sin. The scapular will certainly help provide graces, even graces that one would not otherwise be available without it, but it is not a magical scapular that overrides our free will.

Even just in general, brown scapular or not, we are always given the graces we need to overcome/not commit a particular sin, whether venial or mortal, but unfortunately, no human being has ever fully cooperated with the graces God gives man (other than Mary, of course). It is unfortunately part of the current human condition that man chooses freely to not cooperate with God’s graces. Fortunately, God forgives us despite that rejection to cooperate (if we are truly sorry), through the Sacrament of Penance, which provides us with even more graces to cooperate with! 🙂
 
If one wears the Brown Scapular, not as a presumptive ‘get out of hell free’ card…but with sincerity to avoid mortal sin, will they be protected from falling into mortal sin?

I wear mine every day and I struggle with very blasphemous temptations that tempt me to stop believing in the faith, but I still keep hope that as long as I have the Scapular on, I will never cross the line and actually go through with my apostasy because the promise is it will keep me from hell.

Is this wishful thinking, or is this actually part of the promise Mother Mary gave?
Be careful, it sounds superstitious to me.
 
If one wears the Brown Scapular, not as a presumptive ‘get out of hell free’ card…but with sincerity to avoid mortal sin, will they be protected from falling into mortal sin?

I wear mine every day and I struggle with very blasphemous temptations that tempt me to stop believing in the faith, but I still keep hope that as long as I have the Scapular on, I will never cross the line and actually go through with my apostasy because the promise is it will keep me from hell.

Is this wishful thinking, or is this actually part of the promise Mother Mary gave?
No, the Brown Scapular does not interfere with your free will, although it is a wonderful sacramental.

Wearing it reminds me to pray more and consecrate myself to Blessed Mother each morning.

Here is an updated catechesis on the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel given by both braches of the Carmelite order:

carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.html
 
If one wears the Brown Scapular, not as a presumptive ‘get out of hell free’ card…but with sincerity to avoid mortal sin, will they be protected from falling into mortal sin?

I wear mine every day and I struggle with very blasphemous temptations that tempt me to stop believing in the faith, but I still keep hope that as long as I have the Scapular on, I will never cross the line and actually go through with my apostasy because the promise is it will keep me from hell.

Is this wishful thinking, or is this actually part of the promise Mother Mary gave?
There is only ,and I mean only one way to stop sinning, and that is to have a relationship with Jesus Christ ;to read the gospels and meditate on His Word ,and to ask for help .

Another addition, is to try to understand your background ,both personal and familial,
to try to know your own unconcious motivations .
 
It is not a superstitious belief, for those who do not understand.

It is a sacramental of the Church, like Holy Water is a sacramental, and like a Rosary is a sacramental, and wearing a medal of a saint is a sacramental. These are objects/items that can be blessed by a priest, for the faithful.

I have had Scapulars blessed, and medals blessed, and Rosaries blessed.

Here is a link to a site that explains what Sacramentals are, for those who would like more information, and who would be interested in reading about them:

catholicsacramentals.org/

Hello Denise. 🙂 Editing my post to say that it appears that you and I were posting at the same time, regarding Sacramentals of the Church.
 
If one wears the Brown Scapular, not as a presumptive ‘get out of hell free’ card…but with sincerity to avoid mortal sin, will they be protected from falling into mortal sin?

I wear mine every day and I struggle with very blasphemous temptations that tempt me to stop believing in the faith, but I still keep hope that as long as I have the Scapular on, I will never cross the line and actually go through with my apostasy because the promise is it will keep me from hell.

Is this wishful thinking, or is this actually part of the promise Mother Mary gave?
No it will not protect you from committing mortal sins. Believing that it would protect you would be superstitious which is a sin of grave matter.
 
there were dark angels bickering and complaining to a real person before in history. take the brown scapular off. it is such a bother to us, the lady never ceases to leave your side

that would help. read that in the Pieta booklet. which would help too! buy one they only cost half an hours work, and buy the LARgE Print one. its not that large but its not miniscule.

ebay or amazon.com

the trick is that nowadays even religious that wear it hide it. it is meant to be on the outside of your garment, showing your faith to others.
source : st. bridget of sweden’s revelations. take just five minutes to youtube.com her revelations. you will be stoked like a fire to keep burning for the faith.
 
It is not a superstitious belief, for those who do not understand.

It is a sacramental of the Church, like Holy Water is a sacramental, and like a Rosary is a sacramental, and wearing a medal of a saint is a sacramental. These are objects/items that can be blessed by a priest, for the faithful.

I have had Scapulars blessed, and medals blessed, and Rosaries blessed.

Here is a link to a site that explains what Sacramentals are, for those who would like more information, and who would be interested in reading about them:

catholicsacramentals.org/

Hello Denise. 🙂 Editing my post to say that it appears that you and I were posting at the same time, regarding Sacramentals of the Church.
Ok, but when you put your faith in an object, and think that ‘object’ will benefit you, that is, at the least superstition, and at the most idolatry.
 
Ok, but when you put your faith in an object, and think that ‘object’ will benefit you, that is, at the least superstition, and at the most idolatry.
Very true. I will stick with placing my faith in Christ alone. To each their own.
 
Ok, but when you put your faith in an object, and think that ‘object’ will benefit you, that is, at the least superstition, and at the most idolatry.
Happily such would not be how the Church Teaches…

We do not put our faith in an object. But in God.

Sacramentals would be misunderstood if one thought otherwise.

And the use of Sacramentals involve the intercession of the Church and Brothers and Sisters in heaven etc.

Tis not faith in the object.
 
Very true. I will stick with placing my faith in Christ alone. To each their own.
See post above.

And oh by the way Christ would like you not to place your faith him him alone…

For starters:

God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit…

🙂
 
Ok, but when you put your faith in an object, and think that ‘object’ will benefit you, that is, at the least superstition, and at the most idolatry.
The faith is not put into the blessed “object”, but in what it reminds us of.

For example…A crucifix reminds me of our Lord’s suffering for me, and that I need to be willing to die to myself every day.
 
See post above.

And oh by the way Christ would like you not to place your faith him him alone…

For starters:

God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit…

🙂
Snarky! I like that!

You knew what I meant. If not then I will clarify.

Pope Benedict IX encouraged the faithful to wear scapulars claiming that those who wear them are in unity with Jesus and Mary.

My reply was in Christ alone. 🙂

Also, are you sure you know what Christ wants for me?
 
If one wears the Brown Scapular, not as a presumptive ‘get out of hell free’ card…but with sincerity to avoid mortal sin, will they be protected from falling into mortal sin?

I wear mine every day and I struggle with very blasphemous temptations that tempt me to stop believing in the faith, but I still keep hope that as long as I have the Scapular on, I will never cross the line and actually go through with my apostasy…
Can wearing the Scapular be helpful in avoiding mortal sin?

Yes.

For one is seeking the grace of God - reminded of the “yoke of Christ” and to live faithfully your baptism - have sought the blessing of the Church --are seeking the intercession of Mary the Mother of God and those of the Carmelite Order pray in a particular way I imagine for those with this devotion…

Such can be a good sign - a reminder - a profession of ones Faith in Christ.

But could one commit a mortal sin? Yes. We have free will.

But that free will is as one Doctor of the Church tells us a great defense against mortal sin! It is like a dagger that we can defend ourselves with. Even the devil - the noted - cannot force us to commit a mortal sin.

Let us continue to follow Christ - for him is* true life*!

And go forward bravely - with grace, the shield of faith and our dagger…
 
Pope Benedict IX encouraged the faithful to wear scapulars claiming that those who wear them are in unity with Jesus and Mary.

My reply was in Christ alone. 🙂
IX?

Jesus gave us his Mother…so I will go with his wish (as has been understood down through the centuries) - she is our Mother now too.

Unity with Jesus includes being united with Mary…and me and all the rest of the family…
Also, are you sure you know what Christ wants for me?
Yes.

In this matter. Yes.

For he wants us to know that there is the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit and to always have true life in him - the life of the Holy Trinity…

But yes as you can see it was “teasing”…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top