Wine preference....?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheresaLS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you…I will try the Bordeaux…
You might also try Malbecs if you’ve been drinking sweet wines and are new to reds. Part of the beauty of the wines from Argentina is that they are so stinking cheap in our groceries in the US now. You can get a great wine for $8. Melbec is not sweet at all but doesn’t have the heavy tannins and dry feeling that some new red drinkers don’t care for.
 
I like my wine red and preferably Italian - a Sangiovese or Montepulciano (bliss) - but I draw the line at Lambrusco. Fizzy red wine - an abomination:p

My second preference would be for something from Spain - a Rioja

If I have to drink white - Frascati.
 
I’m not much of a wine drinker, but I love a good simple red table wine both with food and by itself. It’s hearty!

And something I haven’t found in Texas, wine made from muscadines.
Muscadines have a musky flavor, very different from other grapes, and the musk is detectable in the wine. I only get it when I go to Arkansas.
 
Chev describes that perfectly…yes, that is what it tastes like. :hmmm: I feel like I’ve entered a virtual wine tasting party.
Now that you said, I went and opened a rather real Greek Imiglikos. White and semi-sweet.
This is great…Yes I have had one glass…okay two at tops!!!
I’m having a chev cup. 🙂
Chevalier,

I had a South African red wine a few weeks back… it was incredibly dry. It had a higher alcohol content (14.5%). But very enjoyable. It was a very “red” red wine.

Let us not forget the words of the Psalmist, that the Lord made “wine to gladden the heart of man” (Ps. 104:15).

-Rob
Laetificat vinum cor hominum!

And yes, that’s precisely what I liked about South African wines! The one I remember is a relatively unexpensive Tribal. It had a taste I still appreciate some 4 years after last drinking it.
 
*Chev…the white, semi sweet sounds lovely. I am fond of those.

Have you/anyone here had port wine? Gross! I ‘‘accidentally’’ bought that years ago …and it was unbearable. So sweet, so thick and strong. Ugh! It reminded me of cough syrup. :eek:*
 
Chev…the white, semi sweet sounds lovely. I am fond of those.
They’re good for a moment of relax, especially with friends. Of the less sweet whites which are good for a conversation, I’d look at German Rhein wines.
Have you/anyone here had port wine? Gross! I ‘‘accidentally’’ bought that years ago …and it was unbearable. So sweet, so thick and strong. Ugh! It reminded me of cough syrup. :eek:
I actually like it! But it’s not for everyone, I admit. 🙂
My second preference would be for something from Spain - a Rioja
Spanish wines are very good for the table. I think I’ve had a Rioja in the last two years but I’m not sure.
And something I haven’t found in Texas, wine made from muscadines.
Muscadines have a musky flavor, very different from other grapes, and the musk is detectable in the wine. I only get it when I go to Arkansas.
Never had anything like that. 🙂
 
Hmm, Rieslings are a little drier than Zinfandels, or if you want to try the reds, a light Cabernet is a good option. But, what I’d suggest is that you look around the local wine shops and find out when they have tastings. Most stores have free tastings nowadays, and they’ll be wine experts around to ask. It’s a great time, and you can learn more about what you like!
 
And something I haven’t found in Texas, wine made from muscadines.
Muscadines have a musky flavor, very different from other grapes, and the musk is detectable in the wine. I only get it when I go to Arkansas.
You mean like a Muscato or a Muscat? I’m pretty sure they’re all over the place. Try the Italian section or the dessert whites in your wine shop. I think Messina Hof winery in College Station even bottles one.
 
Umm…the kind with alcohol? J/k j/k, I know this is an extremely serious thread. :cool: So I am super new to wine, but I adore a nice, rich port. That is by far my favorite so far, and I love-love-love it with white chocolate.
True facts: 1) Dessert wine is splendid. 2) My family hid the rest of the Xmas port from me. 🤷
 
Umm…the kind with alcohol? J/k j/k, I know this is an extremely serious thread. :cool: So I am super new to wine, but I adore a nice, rich port. That is by far my favorite so far, and I love-love-love it with white chocolate.
True facts: 1) Dessert wine is splendid. 2) My family hid the rest of the Xmas port from me. 🤷
My sympathies. I know how that feels.
 
That makes me glad. :bounce:

(I just started drinkin’ at 40. Was a pentecostal teetotaller for 20 yrs!)
Haha, welcome to the club. I’ve only just turned 21… and I feel it’s been too long. 🙂 I take Genesis 1 seriously. ‘And God looked at all that He had made and said it was very good.’ 👍
I’m having a chev cup. 🙂
Going slightly on your comments about Greek wine-- I absolutely love the ancient Greek literature (like Homer’s Odyssey) which talks about the epic heroes sitting down to meals, with great craters of ‘sweet wine’ (methu hedu) and trenchers of meat, or again, traveling on the ‘wine-dark sea’ (a notoriously problematic phrase… we really don’t know what he meant). Apparently they would dilute it by many parts.
Laetificat vinum cor hominum!
Here’s how the Nova Vulgata renders it. “et vinum, quod laetificat cor hominis.”
And yes, that’s precisely what I liked about South African wines! The one I remember is a relatively unexpensive Tribal. It had a taste I still appreciate some 4 years after last drinking it.
Indeed. I’ll have to try some more. I love how it just dries on one’s tongue… it’s a pretty neat texture and feel.
Umm…the kind with alcohol? J/k j/k, I know this is an extremely serious thread. :cool: So I am super new to wine, but I adore a nice, rich port. That is by far my favorite so far, and I love-love-love it with white chocolate.
True facts: 1) Dessert wine is splendid. 2) My family hid the rest of the Xmas port from me. 🤷
I think the best part about being new to wine is that I get to acquire tastes for everything. 🙂

I’m interested in trying port now, but if it’s very sweet, I’m afraid I won’t like it. I had a ‘sweet red wine’ from Pindar, and it was… quite frankly… too sweet for my taste. If I had realized I would have stuck it in the freezer first. If I didn’t like the taste of the ‘sweet’ red table wine, is it likely that I would probably not like port?

-Rob
 
I have no idea if this fits into this thread…but???

What is your favorite wine? I used to love zinvindel but it is so sweet…I leaning toward a deep red wine for my cholesterol! :blushing:
Ummmm, zin is a deep red.

Maybe you have zinfandel confused with that koolaid they call “white zinfandel”? That AIN’T zinfandel.
 
*I don’t drink often, but during holiday times, I have the occasional glass of wine, but reds are giving me bad headaches, I’m afraid. 😦 (sulfates?) That said, I have recently discovered african wines, which are quite nice. I also like a nice chilled glass of chardonnay…

There is a somewhat sweet, Italian dessert wine…ah, what’s the word…lambrusco? I think that is the name…very good, and usually no headache the next morning, but I can’t find it here in Florida, for some reason. 🤷*
Try boxed wine. Sulfates are used as preservatives in bottled wines. Boxed wines do not need preservatives, since they are vacuum packed and, when poured, the bag within collapses around the wine, keeping it fresh. 🙂

I have the same problem with sulfates, and I never have issues with boxed wine. The sulfates seem to be the worst in cheaper bottled wines.
 
We had a great Prosecco for Christmas brunch. It was listed in Whole Foods’ top 30 and happened to be featured on CBS’s Sunday Morning show. For $12 I thought it was delish.

wineexpo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=311&Itemid=226
Cà Furlan
Our good friend Sandro Furlan sold us the very first bottle of Italian wine we EVER offered and is still sourcing wonderful things like the Cardeto Matile Pinot Grigio, Umbria Rosso and Orvieto for us 20 years later. This may be his best find yet: really delicious and refreshing Prosecco in GORGEOUS packaging at almost ridiculous pricing. Cheers and have at it…we’ll get more!
Cà Furlan Prosecco Frizzante Cuvée Beatrice, Veneto $10.99
Cà Furlan Prosecco Spumante Cuvée Beatrice, Veneto $14.99
 
Try boxed wine. Sulfates are used as preservatives in bottled wines. Boxed wines do not need preservatives, since they are vacuum packed and, when poured, the bag within collapses around the wine, keeping it fresh. 🙂

I have the same problem with sulfates, and I never have issues with boxed wine. The sulfates seem to be the worst in cheaper bottled wines.
*Really! Thank you for this tip. I might have to try that, then. I wouldn’t have known that. (about boxed wines) Yes, I have found if I buy around a $25+ bottle of wine, I have less headaches…I don’t drink all that much, so every now and then, to spend a little money on a nice bottle is okay.

I actually bought a wonderful bottle of 2007 Chardonnay yesterday, and it’s really delicious. I define a good wine to be one that a) smells slightly fruit, but slightly woody and b) you don’t fully taste it until you have swallowed it. This one leaves a taste in my mouth, far after I have swallowed it…it’s really good. I am hoping for no headache tomorrow. :o I made dinner tonight, and sipped on it. *
 
Anyone here try organic wines? Delish! I have only had the good fortune of trying a bottle about three years ago, and it was so delicious. The only problem with delicious wines, you don’t know when to say “when.” 😛
 
If I didn’t like the taste of the ‘sweet’ red table wine, is it likely that I would probably not like port?

-Rob
It’s always worth a try, but port sort of comes under the heading of “dessert wines”. SWEET. But you never know…try it with the right food and you might love it. Chocolate cake, a sweet cheese, or even a cigar.

Like you say, the cool thing about wine is that you get to try new things all the time, and that doesn’t stop once you gain more experience. Every bottle is different!
 
*Wine tastings can be very fun also…just something fun for an afternoon, and you don’t have to really be a regular drinker to enjoy the time. I find it interesting alone on how wine is made, and how they cultivate the different textures, and tastes. 🙂 There’s a place about 30 minutes north of where I live (and I already live about 20 minutes north of tampa) that has weekend tastings, and tours. If hubby didn’t have to work weekends:(, it would be a nice things for us to do. We went once when we first moved here. *
 
*Really! Thank you for this tip. I might have to try that, then. I wouldn’t have known that. (about boxed wines) Yes, I have found if I buy around a $25+ bottle of wine, I have less headaches…I don’t drink all that much, so every now and then, to spend a little money on a nice bottle is okay.

I actually bought a wonderful bottle of 2007 Chardonnay yesterday, and it’s really delicious. I define a good wine to be one that a) smells slightly fruit, but slightly woody and b) you don’t fully taste it until you have swallowed it. This one leaves a taste in my mouth, far after I have swallowed it…it’s really good. I am hoping for no headache tomorrow. :o I made dinner tonight, and sipped on it. *
I really like chardonnay. It just has great flavor, not too sweet, not incredibly bland. Yeah, I agree, I like to smell fruit with wine, in addition to a wood type smell(some cheap ones I find to have only a bland wood smell). I like to be able to taste the flavor on my tongue for a while after I swallow the wine.

I have issues with not knowing what I can tolerate, too. It differs when I try different wines. Plus, I’m a lightweight. If I’m not entirely certain, I only drink a glass or so and ask God to help me not to have any problems. :rolleyes:
 
I really like chardonnay. It just has great flavor, not too sweet, not incredibly bland. Yeah, I agree, I like to smell fruit with wine, in addition to a wood type smell(some cheap ones I find to have only a bland wood smell). I like to be able to taste the flavor on my tongue for a while after I swallow the wine.

I have issues with not knowing what I can tolerate, too. It differs when I try different wines. Plus, I’m a lightweight. If I’m not entirely certain, I only drink a glass or so and ask God to help me not to have any problems. :rolleyes:
*Aw, whatever works, right? 😃

I’m a lightweight, also. I find one or two glasses max is the limit for me, when I do indulge.*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top