With all these objections about Mary by Protestants, wouldn't you think Jesus

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mannyfit75
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mannyfit75

Guest
With all these objections about Mary by Protestants, wouldn’t you think Jesus would be upset. How would you feel if someone insult your own mother?

I would be very upset. So, please I ask the Protestants for being so Anti-Mary. She is Jesus’ mother. Give her some respect.
 
I don’t think that Protestants are Anti-Mary; I think that they simply avoid giving her the proper veneration that is due to her because they don’t see her in the same light as Catholics. That is just my take, as I don’t seem to come upon much Protestant Mary-bashing in my daily life.
 
Dear friend, the Protestants aren’t anti-Mary. They simply don’t give Her cult, because that cult isn’t explicit ordained at the Bible. For them, the Bible is the only source of faith and of cult rules, hence their refuse on culting Mary and the saints!
 
I agree with the above people.

I’m protestant at the moment and find nothing in the Bible to support quite a lot of catholic teachings concerning Mary

they treat her as they would any other person in a way. She’s not a co-redemptrix…as they don’t like the co part that puts her on a level footing with God, they don’t like the whole mother of God thing as it gives her a kind of divinity in words…and that whole idea that God will do as Mary wills because they are in accord, they find that very uncomfortable with that omnipotence thing as it gives her qualities that are divine… I was reading that in an old thread the other day

even when i pray the rosary I personally use an anglican alteration so as not to pray to mary but to jesus instead, but that’s just where i am at the moment.

so it’s not disresapect from protestants, it’s just they give her what they feel they owe, and nothing more

They almost feel I would be embarrassing her by elevating her position in such a way.
 
I agree with the above people.

I’m protestant at the moment and find nothing in the Bible to support quite a lot of catholic teachings concerning Mary

they treat her as they would any other person in a way. She’s not a co-redemptrix…as they don’t like the co part that puts her on a level footing with God, they don’t like the whole mother of God thing as it gives her a kind of divinity in words…and that whole idea that God will do as Mary wills because they are in accord, they find that very uncomfortable with that omnipotence thing as it gives her qualities that are divine… I was reading that in an old thread the other day

even when i pray the rosary I personally use an anglican alteration so as not to pray to mary but to jesus instead, but that’s just where i am at the moment.

so it’s not disresapect from protestants, it’s just they give her what they feel they owe, and nothing more

They almost feel I would be embarrassing her by elevating her position in such a way.
I once had all these reservations, too–and more! To me, praying to Mary was plain idolatry and strictly forbidden.

It took seeing Mary at the foot of the cross to open my understanding to who she was/is in the life of the Church. That, and praying the Rosary as it is prayed every day by millions of people around the world, as I opened my heart and mind to her.

She is a living person capable of hearing our prayers and answering us. I would never put forward my personal experiences with her as proof of anything, but it does help to get to know her to come to see what the Church means by phrases such as, Mother of God, co-redemptrix (which is not a doctrine or dogma, but only a pious belief and likely to remain only that), her Assumption, Immaculate Conception, etc.

Everything the Church teaches about Mary in some way supports, firstly and most importantly, something we need to understand about her Son, Our Lord. None of her titles are meant to exult her alone–and she accepts them in all humility saying as she did when she visited Elizabeth: “The Lord has done great things for me, and holy is his name!”
 
She is a living person capable of hearing our prayers and answering us. I would never put forward my personal experiences with her as proof of anything, but it does help to get to know her to come to see what the Church means by phrases such as, Mother of God, co-redemptrix (which is not a doctrine or dogma, but only a pious belief and likely to remain only that), her Assumption, Immaculate Conception, etc.
This paragraph sums up everything protestants, and myself struggle with…the fact that she can be without sin!! that’s a a hard one…lol… most of these points have been covered loads though 🙂

also it links with the idea that many protestants do not pray to saints…ever ever! they believe in a direct line to God as was made possible by Jesus and everything else is just beating about the bush

also I’m unsure if protestants believe that saints are capable of interceding in the first place. I personally find the thought of addressing a human in the way I would pray to God very uncomfortable and feel as if I’m doing something very very wrong 🙂
 
This paragraph sums up everything protestants, and myself struggle with…the fact that she can be without sin!! that’s a a hard one…lol… most of these points have been covered loads though 🙂
I never had the benefit of coming to a website like this to ask questions about Mary or anything else. I just read on my own and came to my own conclusions. Believe me, I “wrestled with the angel” many nights and struggled in prayer for months before any of the teachings about Mary began to make any sense to me. 🙂
also it links with the idea that many protestants do not pray to saints…ever ever! they believe in a direct line to God as was made possible by Jesus and everything else is just beating about the bush
Of course, these same Protestants believe in “prayer warriors” and “prayer circles” to whom they will go with their prayer requests. If God intended us to have nothing but a “Jesus and me” experience in intercessory prayer, why even form a Church or have corporate worship or any defined doctrines or dogmas? Man has never had a simple one-on-one relationship with God that excludes all others. We are the BODY of Christ made up of many members, not “Lone Rangers” for Jesus. Yes?
also I’m unsure if protestants believe that saints are capable of interceding in the first place. I personally find the thought of addressing a human in the way I would pray to God very uncomfortable and feel as if I’m doing something very very wrong 🙂
The type of Protestant that does not believe in the intercession of the saints are those farthest from the roots of Catholicism. Those that do believe in the communion of saints are closest, such as Anglicans and some Lutherans, etc.

If we aren’t brought up praying (requesting) to saints of course we will feel odd doing it. I still have some trouble going to confession, for instance. Not because I don’t believe in it and don’t receive the grace of the sacrament when I go, but because I was not brought up confessing my sins before another human being. It’s mostly a cultural inhibition, really. That, and being told all your life that there’s something wrong with asking for the intercession of a “dead person.”

Those who embrace the teachings about the communion of saints know that they are not circumventing God, but rather praying along with others, those perfected in love and living with Our Lord in heaven, whose prayers are pure–unadulterated, without selfish motives, and completely in line with God’s will. These people are alive and stand before Jesus himself. If this is true, I want these people on my side, praying for me as Jesus intercedes for us with the Father.
 
With all these objections about Mary by Protestants, wouldn’t you think Jesus would be upset. How would you feel if someone insult your own mother?

I would be very upset. So, please I ask the Protestants for being so Anti-Mary. She is Jesus’ mother. Give her some respect.
I would posit that His sorrowful passion included the unbelief in the awesomeness of Mary. He redeemed mankind eventhough it would later ignore, diminish, or even insult His own mother. Talk about a model of forgiveness and mercy. How many of us would die for a person that disrespected our mother?

We can pray for the conversion of hearts for our Protestant brethren that one day they will be in full communion with us.
 
Of course, these same Protestants believe in “prayer warriors” and “prayer circles” to whom they will go with their prayer requests…

These people are alive and stand before Jesus himself. If this is true, I want these people on my side, praying for me as Jesus intercedes for us with the Father.
what’s a prayer warrior and prayer circle??.. must be an american thing lol << shrugs shoulders:)>>

what if you’re wrong and … i almost feel as if I was to do that it would be blasphemous… what if you’re wrong…and how do you have faith in something so '‘out there’ (I couldn’t think of a term more better suited, sorry)
 
what’s a prayer warrior and prayer circle??.. must be an american thing lol << shrugs shoulders:)>>
Sorry about the cultural allusions that meant nothing to you. I sometimes forget that people from countries other than the USA read and post here. :o

A prayer warrior is a person other Christians feel are particularly good at praying, whose prayers God seems to answer more than theirs. And a prayer circle is usually a list of people who pray for the prayer requests sent to them–usually through their church or prayer group. I hope I explained it well enough that these concepts make sense.
what if you’re wrong and … i almost feel as if I was to do that it would be blasphemous… what if you’re wrong…and how do you have faith in something so '‘out there’ (I couldn’t think of a term more better suited, sorry)
If the Catholic teaching about the communion of saints is wrong I would have no fears. Consider: if I am asking dead people to pray for me I have done no harm. I have not worshiped them or offered sacrifice to them or anything else that I should be offering to God alone. I’ve merely asked for their prayers and help in accordance with God’s will–no Catholic thinks of the saints apart from dwelling with God as if any saint, most especially Mary, were any sort of god unto him or herself.

And why is the idea that those who are in heaven, living with Christ, and capable of praying for us so “out there?” If they are living and not dead why couldn’t they pray for us? If those still living on the earth can pray for us–those who are imperfect, do not know the will of God, are not always in line with the will of God due to their own sin and selfish desires, if they can pray for us, why not those who are perfected in God’s love and unable to pray in any other way than in line with his will?

If you are thinking of the logistics of the saints in heaven praying for us, we have to remember that they are not praying within the limitations of time or of the flesh. It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that they can hear our prayers and so pray for us. Being stuck in both time and the flesh, this is hard for us to grasp, but then many another truth is, too, such as the Incarnation or the Resurrection. Yes?

A good example of this is the incident of the Transfiguration of Christ. Who was on the mountain with him and discussing his upcoming Passion? Two “dead” people–Moses and Elijah. If these men were truly dead and not able to know the affairs of men, why would they be there discussing Jesus’ life with him? Dead people, if they were truly dead, wouldn’t be able to do any of those things.

Jesus himself told us that the dead are not dead but are alive, in order to answer the objects of the Sadducees’ to the resurrection of the dead:

Matt.22
[32] `I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Mark.12
[27] He is not God of the dead, but of the living; you are quite wrong."

Luke.20
[38] Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living; for all live to him."

If this teaching weren’t true, then that would mean Jesus lied to us–and that thought is too horrible to imagine!
 
yeah we don’t have a prayer circle…it’s almost te other way round… all prayers can be asked to be put onto a list, whether explicit requests or private ones anonamously… and then all people in the church are asked to pray for anything on the list that they feel…

I’ve never heard of an equivilant to a prayer warrior 🙂

I don’t suppose I can answer your comments on saints… I think I’m in a state of change abouta few things… so I don’t have a problem just saying I have no concrete position 🙂
 
With all these objections about Mary by Protestants, wouldn’t you think Jesus would be upset. How would you feel if someone insult your own mother?

I would be very upset. So, please I ask the Protestants for being so Anti-Mary. She is Jesus’ mother. Give her some respect.
Your argument presumes that failing to believe that someone was without original sin, and failing to treat that someone as a borderline deity, consitutes some sort of “insult” and failure of respect. I don’t know how many times I’ve said this in differing ways: if these are your criteria of decency and respectfulness, then I suppose I’m insulting my own mother, and the mothers of everyone else here to boot, by failing to believe it of them.
 
While not all Protestant are guilty, I agree with the original poster that some Protestants object to Mary so strongly that it crosses into insulting Our Lord Jesus. **In their zeal to defend their faith, some Christians forget what their faith teaches. **

Some misinterpret scripture in such a way that Jesus sounds disrespectful of His own mother. Jesus never sinned, therefore He would respect and honor His mother, rather than disrespect and insult her.

Christians believe that Jesus is God; Catholics call Mary the mother of God because Jesus is God and she is Jesus’ mother. She is not divine but her Son is.

Protestants claim to believe the Bible. The Gospel of Luke prophesizes that all generations will call Mary blessed, yet I frequently read Protestants call her “a sinner just like everyone else.” Even if they disagree with the Catholic Church, calling the mother of Jesus “sinner” is a far cry from the Bible calling her “blessed”.

Some otherwise probably very good Christians who claim Jesus is their friend, say things about Jesus’ mother that I doubt they say about any of their other friend’s moms. What they write and say about Mary often reflects negetively about their faith in Jesus and the Bible.
 
some could say that she could still be held in veneration; revered…even with sin…you don’t have to be without sin to be blessed

I’m just putting that as a protestant view in general… they believe that all people who have lived have sinned… every last one
 
some could say that she could still be held in veneration; revered…even with sin…you don’t have to be without sin to be blessed

I’m just putting that as a protestant view in general… they believe that all people who have lived have sinned… every last one
But in my experience those who make a point of calling Mary “sinner” rarely venerate her or call her blessed in any way. I realize that that doesn’t pertain to all Protestants, but it applies to many. If you searched old threads you’d know what I refer to (or maybe not–some of the worst may have been deleated.) I realize that one doesn’t have to believe Mary sinless in order to pay her honor as the mother of Jesus, but some Christians pay her no honor whatsoever as the mother of Jesus and instead take her on as if she were the enemy.
 
some could say that she could still be held in veneration; revered…even with sin…you don’t have to be without sin to be blessed

I’m just putting that as a protestant view in general… they believe that all people who have lived have sinned… every last one
Even Jesus? He was a person too.
 
Your argument presumes that failing to believe that someone was without original sin, and failing to treat that someone as a borderline deity, consitutes some sort of “insult” and failure of respect.
No, that’s not where the insult lies. 🙂 There are Protestants who go out of their way to say that Mary wasn’t just like you and me–she was worse than us. They insist she was an annoyance to her Son, and one who constantly had to be “put in her place.” They find nothing wrong with interpreting biblical passages with that already in mind even though nowhere in the NT does it ever say that Jesus found his mother a hindrance to his ministry. It’s a form of “Mary envy” and it’s not even the most virulent kind I saw during my days as a Pentecostalist.
I don’t know how many times I’ve said this in differing ways: if these are your criteria of decency and respectfulness, then I suppose I’m insulting my own mother, and the mothers of everyone else here to boot, by failing to believe it of them.
Well, there’s a bit of a difference between your mother and my mother (of blessed memory) or anyone else’s mother and the Mother of the Son of God. No one of us can claim to be fully God and fully man nor that our mothers conceived and bore the God-man in their wombs. No matter how we look at it, Mary was special–“blessed among women” in a way no other woman in history has ever or will ever be. 🙂
40.png
Abira:
some could say that she could still be held in veneration; revered…even with sin…you don’t have to be without sin to be blessed
That was St. Augustine’s position, and the question was debated for centuries all the while belief in her Immaculate Conception was not discouraged by the Church. But, since the Church has pronounced the Immaculate Conception a dogma, the debate is over, just as all debate ended in Acts 13 once the Apostles ruled circumcision was not necessary for pagan believers.

The real issue here isn’t Mary’s prerogatives, but the Church’s authority to decide matters of faith and morals. If the Church was established by Christ and given that authority then what the Church teaches must be true. And there is plenty of biblical support for the Church’s authority, which is why we Catholics believe what the Church teaches.
 
Even Jesus? He was a person too.
lol yeah but he was God so I don’t think I need to answer that question really do I 🙂

I had no idea that some protestants said things like that… I’ve never ever heard any church of England members say anything like that… the worst I’ve heard refers to the water to wine incident…when Jesus said it was not yet his time… but then did as his mother had asked Him anyway…

Do you think that this anger is purely because Mary is one of the biggest ‘symbols’ of the Catholic Church? so to redicule Mary is solely to ridicule the catholic church?
 
Do you think that this anger is purely because Mary is one of the biggest ‘symbols’ of the Catholic Church? so to redicule Mary is solely to ridicule the catholic church?
It’s probably something like that. They probably think they defend their Christian faith, but they should do it without insulting Mary. Insulting Christ’ mother gives bad witness to Christianity.
 
No, that’s not where the insult lies. 🙂 There are Protestants who go out of their way to say that Mary wasn’t just like you and me–she was worse than us. They insist she was an annoyance to her Son, and one who constantly had to be “put in her place.” They find nothing wrong with interpreting biblical passages with that already in mind even though nowhere in the NT does it ever say that Jesus found his mother a hindrance to his ministry. It’s a form of “Mary envy” and it’s not even the most virulent kind I saw during my days as a Pentecostalist.
I’ll have to take your word for it. However, I too was raised Pentecostal, and never encountered the sort of attitude that you describe. Maybe I was sheltered. Like others on this list, I think Mary was as good and great a person as ever saw the light of day, and is abundantly deserving of respect–we simply differ on what manner of respect is fitting.

Now, many Protestants may feel a little constrained in their attitude towards Mary, but stand in their shoes for a second (or a second more, given the personal history you cite). If you have an essentially Protestant view of Marian devotions, you might reasonably want to be a little circumspect–not because Mary deserves anything less than honour and love, but because the Catholic example suggests (again, to a Protestant) that an ordinate respect and devotion towards her can easily and precipitously morph into an inordinate sort of devotion that brings creation and Creator too close for orthodoxy, and is neither fitting nor, ultimately, respectful or loving towards her.
Well, there’s a bit of a difference between your mother and my mother (of blessed memory) or anyone else’s mother and the Mother of the Son of God. No one of us can claim to be fully God and fully man nor that our mothers conceived and bore the God-man in their wombs. No matter how we look at it, Mary was special–“blessed among women” in a way no other woman in history has ever or will ever be. 🙂
Multitudinous amens. I maintain, however, that a mere failure to match the high pitch of Catholic Marian attitudes & practices does not signal disrespect or disregard for Mary.
But, since the Church has pronounced the Immaculate Conception a dogma, the debate is over, just as all debate ended in Acts 13 once the Apostles ruled circumcision was not necessary for pagan believers.

The real issue here isn’t Mary’s prerogatives, but the Church’s authority to decide matters of faith and morals.
Among Catholics, sure. But since this thread specifically deals with Protestant views on Marian doctrines (see title), appealing to 19th-century Vatican pronouncements on the subject is sort of begging the question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top