Wormhole 'no use' for time travel (BBC)

  • Thread starter Thread starter stumbler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stumbler

Guest
For budding time travellers, the future (or should that be the past?) is starting to look bleak.

Hypothetical tunnels called wormholes once looked like the best bet for constructing a real time machine.

These cosmic shortcuts, which link one point in the Universe to another, are favoured by science fiction writers as a means both of explaining time travel and of circumventing the limitations imposed by the speed of light.

The concept of wormholes will be familiar to anyone who has watched the TV programmes Farscape, Stargate SG1 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

The opening sequence of the BBC’s new Doctor Who series shows the Tardis hurtling through a “vortex” that suspiciously resembles a wormhole - although the Doctor’s preferred method of travel is not explained in detail.

But the idea of building these so-called traversable wormholes is looking increasingly shaky, according to two new scientific analyses. . . .

Full article
 
So, if I crawl into one of them little holes left in my garden, I can end up in an alternate universe? How freaky.
 
40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
So, if I crawl into one of them little holes left in my garden, I can end up in an alternate universe? How freaky.
Yeah, and what if there was a very large robin waiting for you at the other end of the worm hole? I wish they would build a large worm hole under Randal Road(a very busy 4 lane road) so I could walk to the liquor store for my beer rather than drive the 6 blocks cause you would get run over trying to walk across Randal. 😃
 
40.png
stumbler:
For budding time travellers, the future (or should that be the past?) is starting to look bleak.

<>

But the idea of building these so-called traversable wormholes is looking increasingly shaky, according to two new scientific analyses. . . .

Well, yeah! That’s because John Crichton had the wormhole technology wiped from his brain! The scientists never will have the whole of the technology available. 😃

Sorry, I just had to do that-- I’m a big Farscape fan.
 
Time moves forward, you can slow it, you can speed it up, but you can never go backwards. Theoretically, you can visit the future, but you will never be able to come back.

Time never goes in reverse, and never repeats itself. 1984 on earth already happened. It can never happen again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top