Worst commercials

  • Thread starter Thread starter MoBeck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do ALL ads for household cleaning products only feature women using said products? Nice way to be sexist, Madison Ave.!

Oh yeah, and the “Head On” commercials. Great, we apply it directly to the forehead. But WHY? Tell me WHY!
 
Gee, there are so many out there and I agree with all of the ones mentioned so far. I have my own nominee to add:

The commercial is for American Express and has three parts. In the first part a couple are lookibg at rings and the woman tells the guy to get an AmEx card so she can get the ring she wants even though his other cards are maxed out. My advise to him: lose her quickly.

Part two deals with getting tickets to a sold out concert and the third the wife takes hubby out for Italian food in Italy.

Talk about a bunch of spoiled brats!

Gary
 
I don’t like commercials where the kid mouths off to adults or are portrayed as smarter than adults. There’s a pizza commercial where the father, portrayed as not the sharpest knife in the drawer, tries to explain how to eat a slice of pizza. The kid does exactly the opposite of what the father says and I guess it’s supposed to be funny. I don’t like the ones where children lie and it’s supposed to be cute. The father says did you have anything to do with this mess and the kid says no with her hands all covered in orange junk.

Maybe I’m just too uptight, but I think these type of commercials subconsciously encourage children to think they are smarter than the adults around them. (Something that they tend to think anyway, but why encourage it.) I think that they also teach children that it’s okay to lie.
I counted five commercials in one night where the person lied to others in the commercials. There was the orange hand one, and there were two Glade commercials where the women tell blatant lies and get caught. One was a beer commercial and the other was some type of food that the guy puts in his mouth and denies eating.

I think honesty and integrity would sell more product than having people lie in commercials.
 
I don’t like commercials where the kid mouths off to adults or are portrayed as smarter than adults. There’s a pizza commercial where the father, portrayed as not the sharpest knife in the drawer, tries to explain how to eat a slice of pizza. The kid does exactly the opposite of what the father says and I guess it’s supposed to be funny. I don’t like the ones where children lie and it’s supposed to be cute. The father says did you have anything to do with this mess and the kid says no with her hands all covered in orange junk.

Maybe I’m just too uptight, but I think these type of commercials subconsciously encourage children to think they are smarter than the adults around them. (Something that they tend to think anyway, but why encourage it.) I think that they also teach children that it’s okay to lie.
I counted five commercials in one night where the person lied to others in the commercials. There was the orange hand one, and there were two Glade commercials where the women tell blatant lies and get caught. One was a beer commercial and the other was some type of food that the guy puts in his mouth and denies eating.

I think honesty and integrity would sell more product than having people lie in commercials.
It’s blatant. The media these days seems to be reading off Satan’s teleprompter, encouraging everyone to lie, cheat and steal—and laugh about it.

It’s not cute. It’s not funny. I fear for our nation.
 
TV commercials (as well as sitcoms) have been portraying husbands and/or fathers as stupid for quite some time now, ever since the '50s.

Have you noticed that commercials aimed at children will portray school as total drudgery and teachers as out-of-touch, clueless bores?
 
TV commercials (as well as sitcoms) have been portraying husbands and/or fathers as stupid for quite some time now, ever since the '50s.

Have you noticed that commercials aimed at children will portray school as total drudgery and teachers as out-of-touch, clueless bores?
Yes, and I have always found that so annoying! :mad:

Even when I was a kid in school, the whole stereotype of “school is so boring” drove me crazy. I loved school; I thought everything was so interesting! 🙂

But then adults who didn’t know me very well (aunts and uncles we were visiting) would say dumb things like, “Oh, I bet you’re glad you’re on holidays; school is such a bore!” I always felt like saying, “Not nearly as boring as hanging around here doing nothing with you.” But I never did. 🤷

I also hated that so many kids bought into the lie - it seems like by Grade 3, most people were brainwashed to think that school was boring, and there was really nothing the teachers could do to make it interesting, the lie was just so strong. Heck, we had a teacher bring a box of live snakes to class one time, and people were saying “Science is boring.” :rolleyes:

I always wonder if there is a special place in Hell for people who take away a child’s enjoyment of learning, by telling him over and over that school is boring. :dts:
 
I love the Free Credit Report commercials–they’re really fun.

The commercials I can’t stand are the Charmin commercials with the cartoon bears. I don’t need to hear these cutsey bears talking about wiping their backsides. They absolutely turn me off.
 
I love the Free Credit Report commercials–they’re really fun.

The commercials I can’t stand are the Charmin commercials with the cartoon bears. I don’t need to hear these cutsey bears talking about wiping their backsides. They absolutely turn me off.
I think those are hilarious. The unspoken assumption being, “Does a bear **** in the woods?” (Which, obviously, they can’t ask on television, so you just have to assume it.)

And the answer is, “Not only that, he uses Charmin!!” :rolleyes: 😛
 
I think those are hilarious. The unspoken assumption being, “Does a bear **** in the woods?” (Which, obviously, they can’t ask on television, so you just have to assume it.)

And the answer is, “Not only that, he uses Charmin!!” :rolleyes: 😛
I never thought about it that way.😃
 
I think those are hilarious. The unspoken assumption being, “Does a bear **** in the woods?” (Which, obviously, they can’t ask on television, so you just have to assume it.)

And the answer is, “Not only that, he uses Charmin!!” :rolleyes: 😛
The first time I saw one of those commercials I immediately thought of the joke where said bear asks a rabbit if **** sticks to his fur and then proceeds to use him as toilet paper. I expected a rabbit in there somewhere and not Charmin…
 
I hated the WaMu commercials where middle aged white guys were kept in a pen like animals. I complained about that one.

And I complained to Hunts about the ‘Manwich’ ad that uses ‘Joyful, Joyful we adore Thee’, and only changes a couple of the words.

Think about that: Jesus, the meat sammich with tomato sauce.

They responded, said I’m the only one to ever complain [as of a few months ago], and the Catholics on thier staff think its great.
 
I hated the WaMu commercials where middle aged white guys were kept in a pen like animals. I complained about that one.

And I complained to Hunts about the ‘Manwich’ ad that uses ‘Joyful, Joyful we adore Thee’, and only changes a couple of the words.

Think about that: Jesus, the meat sammich with tomato sauce.

They responded, said I’m the only one to ever complain [as of a few months ago], and the Catholics on their staff think its great.
Um, the music to that commercial is the “Ode to Joy” from Beethoven’s 9th Symphony. A Protestant minister wrote the words to “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee” using Beethoven’s music.
 
The first time I saw one of those commercials I immediately thought of the joke where said bear asks a rabbit if **** sticks to his fur and then proceeds to use him as toilet paper. I expected a rabbit in there somewhere and not Charmin…
I forgot about that joke!!! 😃 Ha ha ha!

I like the Charmin commercials too. The ones they came out with a while back showing the “dad” bear needed extra tough TP had me rolling. My mom actually bought some of that tough stuff by mistake once. Its like paper towels almost, yet pleasant. 👍 😃
 
Um, the music to that commercial is the “Ode to Joy” from Beethoven’s 9th Symphony. A Protestant minister wrote the words to “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee” using Beethoven’s music.
First, I wonder why you assume I didn’t know this, and secondly, I wonder why that makes it better? Note that it isn’t just the music they use, but almost all the words as well: ‘Manwich, manwich, we adore thee’.
 
I can’t stand all the commercials about cars, vans, etc. that make it look like if you buy their vehicle your family will stop fighting and be all happy again. So lame!

I also saw a new commercial for the first time the other day about Enterprise that just had to show a couple going into their “private room” after Enterprise dropped them off. How sad is it that even car companies are getting some kind of sexual reference in their commercials these days?
 
The commercial that we hit the mute button for most often is the really annoying cereal commercial with the hula-dancing cartoon character that has the high-pitched nasal singing voice. We find him truly annoying.

I can’t remember what the cereal is called, but I used to eat it when I was a kid. It tasted like Weatabix in vinegar, with a small sprinkle of icing sugar.

http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:8iDkAe05pelf8M:kult-faktor.org/Blech.gif
I love Calvin and Hobbes! 😛

But back on topic, I think all politcal ads are annoying. Whatever happened to reading the newspaper instead of relying on 15-second smears?
 
“Manwich Manwich we adore thee”? I’m glad I’ve missed that one.
First, I wonder why you assume I didn’t know this, and secondly, I wonder why that makes it better?
I never really liked “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee,” back when we sang it in the Unitarian church I was raised in. But I never really knew why, except that the rhythm was too dull.

Then, many years ago, I was one of a few hundred members of a choir, assembled from local colleges, that sang Beethoven’s 9th with the Portland Symphony under Lawrence Smith.

You’ll never know why the hymn seems so lame to us until you hear the tune sung by a huge choir backed by a full orchestra, the way Beethoven wrote it. It’ll knock your socks off!

You might get the effect by putting a CD of the 9th on a Bose and cranking it way up. This part is LOUD. The conductor told us not to sing it, but to shout it on key!

Musically, it’s like a standing rib roast of beef fresh out of the oven, compared to a tablespoon of canned stew.

I hope this helps you understand…

God bless us all,

Ruthie
 
Then, many years ago, I was one of a few hundred members of a choir, assembled from local colleges, that sang Beethoven’s 9th with the Portland Symphony under Lawrence Smith.

You’ll never know why the hymn seems so lame to us until you hear the tune sung by a huge choir backed by a full orchestra, the way Beethoven wrote it. It’ll knock your socks off!

You might get the effect by putting a CD of the 9th on a Bose and cranking it way up. This part is LOUD. The conductor told us not to sing it, but to shout it on key!

Musically, it’s like a standing rib roast of beef fresh out of the oven, compared to a tablespoon of canned stew.

I hope this helps you understand…

God bless us all,

Ruthie
Similar to my experience this summer of stumbling upon a live performance of the 1812 Overture. Nothing recorded can compare to smelling the gun powder as the canons and guns go off and the carillon starts to ring.
 
First, I wonder why you assume I didn’t know this, and secondly, I wonder why that makes it better? Note that it isn’t just the music they use, but almost all the words as well: ‘Manwich, manwich, we adore thee’.
My apologies. I’ve met plenty of people who have only heard classical music from movies, cartoon & commercial – plus I hadn’t seen this particular ad so I didn’t know they used “we adore thee”.
Sorry.
I can’t stand all the commercials about cars, vans, etc. that make it look like if you buy their vehicle your family will stop fighting and be all happy again. So lame!
VW is running a commercial telling people they don’t have to have babies just so they can “enjoy German engineering” I guess the idea being that people think they don’t qualify for their SUV w/o kids so they are having children just so they can buy this model. Of course, it’s a supermodel type explaining this & the wife is not.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top