Worst Movies for Catholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter childofmary1143
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my opinion on some of the movies mentioned:

Marie Antoinette – proved that Sophia Coppola is a much better director than actress (she was horrible in Godfather III) I have to admit I liked this movie but it’s mostly because of the clothing. I just love the clothing, but I’m into sewing period-correct clothing 🙂

Star Wars – the original three – I have to admit I didn’t realize some of the stuff that was mentioned in some of the earlier posts. I thought it was great because it depicted good overcoming evil

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – loved it!!!

Titanic – enjoyed it. Again, mostly for the clothing aspect

Ever After – loved visualizing how the fairy tale might have gotten started

Enchanted – laughed so much I hurt my stomach. Definitely buying it since it’s out on DVD today.

Blessings
 
Saw,Hostile, and anything by Rob Zombie are the worst movies for Catholics IMO. I’ve never seen any of these movies and I know I’d hate them.
 
Brokeback Mountain
Borat
Black Dahlia
Babel
Big Momma’s House
Boy’s Don’t Cry
The Departed
God’s Outlaw: The story of William Tyndale
the Good Shepherd
Knocked up
License to Wed
Old School and all other stupid sexual comedies
 
Most? Purely out of interest. which go on which side of the ‘acceptable’ line? 🙂

I’m a big fan of most of Lynch, especially Twin Peaks. His only film I didn’t enjoy at all was Wild At Heart, though Dune was rather a mess too.

Mike
What?!! Dune? It had David Bowie in it! And a host of other very silly things too! That movie was hilarious… albeit, it isn’t supposed to be.

p.s. “he is the kwizats haderach!” (forgive my spelling)
 
Brokeback Mountain
Borat
Black Dahlia
Babel
Big Momma’s House
Boy’s Don’t Cry
The Departed
God’s Outlaw: The story of William Tyndale
the Good Shepherd
Knocked up
License to Wed
Old School and all other stupid sexual comedies
I actually liked Babel alot. Is there a reason why it’s bad for catholics?
 
Just my opinion on some of the movies mentioned:

Marie Antoinette – proved that Sophia Coppola is a much better director than actress (she was horrible in Godfather III) I have to admit I liked this movie but it’s mostly because of the clothing. I just love the clothing, but I’m into sewing period-correct clothing 🙂

Star Wars – the original three – I have to admit I didn’t realize some of the stuff that was mentioned in some of the earlier posts. I thought it was great because it depicted good overcoming evil

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – loved it!!!

Titanic – enjoyed it. Again, mostly for the clothing aspect

Ever After – loved visualizing how the fairy tale might have gotten started

Enchanted – laughed so much I hurt my stomach. Definitely buying it since it’s out on DVD today.

Blessings
I also like Marie Anoinette, also because of the clothes (and the music). I liked Lost in Translation better though. Sophia Coppola is quite the director. cna’t say anything about her acting though, I’ve never seen any of the Godfather movies.
Also loved Enchanted. The scene with the cockroaches and rats was great.
 
Also loved Enchanted. The scene with the cockroaches and rats was great.
I could handle the rats, but the cockroaches grossed me out. Just closed my eyes until that scene was over. If there’s people here who haven’t seen it, it’s a great ladies getaway-type movie. We went on New Year’s Eve – three girl friends and had a blast.
 
I could handle the rats, but the cockroaches grossed me out. Just closed my eyes until that scene was over. If there’s people here who haven’t seen it, it’s a great ladies getaway-type movie. We went on New Year’s Eve – three girl friends and had a blast.
I also hate roaches, but for some reason I found it kind of funny in the movie. I’ll scream and jump on a chair if I see one in person.
It might have been my moms reaction during that scene that I found so funny:thumbsup:
Loved the rats though, I have pet rats so that scene was awsome.
 
I actually liked Babel alot. Is there a reason why it’s bad for catholics?
Babel supposedly had a good message behind it, but I certainly didn’t hear it. What was most memorable were all the shots of some teenager’s crotch, drug use by said teenager, little boys masterbating, a sister allowing her little brother to watch her undress… Call me “uncultured” , but If they had something profound or political to say, why couldn’t they just say it?!
Like the other movies I listed, Babel made me want to burn my eyes and puke. That’s my opinion!
 
Babel supposedly had a good message behind it, but I certainly didn’t hear it. What was most memorable were all the shots of some teenager’s crotch, drug use by said teenager, little boys masterbating, a sister allowing her little brother to watch her undress… Call me “uncultured” , but If they had something profound or political to say, why couldn’t they just say it?!
Like the other movies I listed, Babel made me want to burn my eyes and puke. That’s my opinion!
Babel actually reminded me a little of Crash (though not nearly as good). I highly recomend Crash. You have to get past the cursing, and one sex scene, but it does have a very powerful message in the end.
 
Having not read the entire thread, I’m gonna go right ahead and say Eurotrip.

SPOILER

On top of all the sexual humor and cursing (which I can usually deal with if the movie is good enough. Such as Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction), there’s a scene where they are in the Vatican and a guy puts on the Pope’s hat. It accidentally catches fire, so he sticks it in the fireplace. White smoke fills the sky and everyone thinks the Pope is dead. He then pretends to be the “new” Pope. While this isn’t really too offensive, I just felt that the movie-makers had a total disregard for Catholic viewers and were using the characters to show they had zero respect for Catholicism.

The real offensive part came later, though. This scene assured my earlier feeling that they had absolutely zero respect for Catholicism. The main male character and the woman he was after got together towards the end of the movie. They showed them inside the Vatican, inside of a confessional, having sex. They then show her bare butt pressed up against the screen while a woman is in there trying to confess her sins.
 
Stigmata. Blah, icky, gross. I need a vomiting smilie about right now.
Oh that was an awful movie. The “big secret” that the movie presents is that man can talk to God and relate to Him. As one parody of the movie stated, “Umm, I learned that in Sunday school, so that’s not shocking at all.”

When I heard that, I thought, “I sat through this movie for two hours just to her THAT?” So disappointing.
 
Having not read the entire thread, I’m gonna go right ahead and say Eurotrip.

SPOILER

The real offensive part came later, though. This scene assured my earlier feeling that they had absolutely zero respect for Catholicism. The main male character and the woman he was after got together towards the end of the movie. They showed them inside the Vatican, inside of a confessional, having sex. They then show her bare butt pressed up against the screen while a woman is in there trying to confess her sins.
YUCK! YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

The first thing you mentioned (the schtick with the Pope’s hat) was slapstick. I have mixed feelings about it because slapstick is inherently irreverent - but I don’t really want the Pope to be the subject of slapstick humor.

The second thing you mention, though, is just dreadful. It’s not merely irreverent. It’s sacrilegious and vile.
 
Having not read the entire thread, I’m gonna go right ahead and say Eurotrip.

SPOILER

On top of all the sexual humor and cursing (which I can usually deal with if the movie is good enough. Such as Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction), there’s a scene where they are in the Vatican and a guy puts on the Pope’s hat. It accidentally catches fire, so he sticks it in the fireplace. White smoke fills the sky and everyone thinks the Pope is dead. He then pretends to be the “new” Pope. While this isn’t really too offensive, I just felt that the movie-makers had a total disregard for Catholic viewers and were using the characters to show they had zero respect for Catholicism.

The real offensive part came later, though. This scene assured my earlier feeling that they had absolutely zero respect for Catholicism. The main male character and the woman he was after got together towards the end of the movie. They showed them inside the Vatican, inside of a confessional, having sex. They then show her bare butt pressed up against the screen while a woman is in there trying to confess her sins.
It’s interesting that universities must get rid of mascots that are offensive to Native Americans, that the West must not offend the Muslim world, yet movies can mock Catholicism and the Pope, which is really mocking God, and it’s okay? I agree with another post - YUCK!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top