Would you buy a premium leather Catholic Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dkushner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dkushner

Guest
I’m trying to convince some publishers that there is a market for premium leather Catholic Bibles. You may be aware that there are MANY Protestant Bibles available in premium (highland goatskin, French Moroccan leather, etc.) leather, but VERY few premium Catholic Bibles.

When I say premium Bible I’m talking about the types of Bibles you might find discussed here: bibledesignblog.com/

I would personally love a high-end, durable, beautiful Douay-Rheims/Challoner or RSV-CE, but I’m interested to see what the rest of you would be interested in.

I’m thinking the price point would be in the neighborhood of $150.00, which may seem like a lot, but I think there is a market for high-end Catholic Bibles - and there aren’t really any available. The best one I have is an Oxford University Press RSV-CE, which is pretty good quality - but not excellent.

Please answer the survey ONLY if you would consider a high-end Bible, and select your choice of translation(s).

I’m only including the most popular (I think) translations in the poll. If you have another translation in mind please reply with the details in this post.

Regards
David
 
I love the Douay-Rheims, so I would love to have a leather Bible of that version as well as the Vulgate. Well a leather Catholic Bible in general would be awesome
 
I’d love to purchase a premium Catholic Bible. But I haven’t even found a sub-premium Catholic Bible that contains all the features of run-of-the-mill Protestant Bibles. For example, why don’t the RSV-CE and RSV-2CE have concordances or comprehensive cross-references?

But yeah - in short, I’d love a nice, full-featured Catholic Bible with a premium leather cover.
 
I’d love to purchase a premium Catholic Bible. But I haven’t even found a sub-premium Catholic Bible that contains all the features of run-of-the-mill Protestant Bibles. For example, why don’t the RSV-CE and RSV-2CE have concordances or comprehensive cross-references?

But yeah - in short, I’d love a nice, full-featured Catholic Bible with a premium leather cover.
The RSV-CE just came out with a concordance recently
 
I’d love to purchase a premium Catholic Bible. But I haven’t even found a sub-premium Catholic Bible that contains all the features of run-of-the-mill Protestant Bibles. For example, why don’t the RSV-CE and RSV-2CE have concordances or comprehensive cross-references?

But yeah - in short, I’d love a nice, full-featured Catholic Bible with a premium leather cover.
Thanks djrakowski, I agree. I think we’re limited to the current translations and associated reference material included with each one at this time. I think it will be a big enough chore to convince a publisher that enough of us Catholics would pony up the cash for a premium leather Bible.

Could you please go back and vote for your choice if you haven’t already?

God Bless
David
 
The RSV-CE just came out with a concordance recently
Thanks for the notice… but it’s a separate book - not a lot of fun to drag so many books to a Bible study or my apologetics class. It’d be nice to have at least an abridged concordance included right in the Bible. This was a feature I used all the time in my Protestant Bibles, and even the most basic editions came with them.
 
djrakowski,

First off, great post! Like I mentioned in a previous post somewhere, we have very few quality leather Catholic Bibles to choose from. It is a real shame. I own a pretty large collection of Catholic Bibles and the only ones that “say” that they are genuine leather are the Oxford Catholic Study Bible NAB 1990 version and the Oxford RSV-CE Readers Bible of recent years.

I also own a 1960’s original Jerusalem Bible that is supposedly in “leather”, which is of course bonded leather. If I wanted to use it everyday, it would probably fall a part in a month or so. I also met a seminarian who has been using the Igantius RSV-2CE “leather” edition for well over a year and he commented to me that he was going to have to get a new one because it was falling a part.

You also mentioned the site bibledesignblog.com/ Right on! If you really want to learn about high quality Bibles than this is the guy to go to. He also has helpful links to places that can rebind your old Bibles.

Finally, like I mentioned in that previous post, the nicest Bible I own is a French Moroccan leather edition of the NRSV, which includes the Deuterocanonicals/Apocrypha: amazon.com/ReferenceApoc…/dp/0521681316
For the most part, Cambridge publishes some high quality leather Bibles. It would be nice to see them publish some more Catholic editions.
 
I just spotted this NAB “genuine leather” edition from Oxford: christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=89086&netp_id=482474&event=EBRN&item_code=WW&view=details#curr

It looks pretty nice, with the additional benefit of having the notes and cross-references at the back of each Biblical book. May be the best option for those who use the NAB regularly.
Looks good, Tim… thanks for the link!

I wonder if it’s similar to one of my leather NABs. The study notes are placed at the end of each book, but so are the cross-references. I don’t mind the location of the notes, but the references should be placed right on the pages of the verses to which they refer.

Oh, and my copy also includes an abridged concordance. If they’d just place the references on the page rather than the end of each book…
 
Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone! Please keep it coming. :extrahappy:

Please don’t forget to vote in the Poll for the version(s) of a ‘premium leather Bible’ that you’d be most likely to buy if they were available.

Please speak up and have your voice heard. :okpeople:

David
 
I’m old, I am not looking for a premium leather bound bible, I am looking for a large print bible.
 
I’m old, I am not looking for a premium leather bound bible, I am looking for a large print bible.
runandsew

Here’s an Oxford University Press Revised Standard Version Catholic Bible (RSV-CE) Large Print Edition that might be of interest to you. Amazon says it’s ‘leather bound’ and Oxford says it’s ‘Hardback’, so who knows. But since your main priority seems to be large print this might be what you’re looking for.

amazon.com/Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic-Bible/dp/0195288726

oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Bibles/TextReferenceBibles/RevisedStandardVersion/?view=usa&ci=9780195288728

Regards
David
 
Here’s a whole slew of leather bound Douay-Rheims Bibles by Baronius Press: These have, among other features, some nice maps. plates, and the text of three encyclicals that discuss the importance of reading the Bible.

baroniuspress.com/category.php?wid=58&cid=1
dkushner was able to talk with Baronius Press about their “leather” bibles and reported the results at the following thread: forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=292348 (scroll down a bit.)
 
Here’s a whole slew of leather bound Douay-Rheims Bibles by Baronius Press: These have, among other features, some nice maps. plates, and the text of three encyclicals that discuss the importance of reading the Bible.

baroniuspress.com/category.php?wid=58&cid=1
Rolltide

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m very familiar with the Baronius Press Douay-Rheims Bibles. They’re quite nice, but are no longer bound in genuine leather, only bonded leather. Last week I spoke directly with their office in Pennsylvania and they confirmed this. If bonded leather is your thing then their Bibles are hard to beat (and they claim that their bonded leather is a top quality product from a highly reputable manufacturer) , but I really prefer genuine leather.

If they release a high quality genuine leather (like they used to make) in the future then I’ll certainly purchase one.

Regards
David
 
At least it looks like they are not advertising it as moroccan leather anymore. I appreciate the honesty.

While I don’t use the Douay-Rheims regularly, even though I own a number of additions, I have always wondered why no publisher, like Baronius, will publish a DR Bible with updated maps, a concordance, etc… Instead, it always seems that they are simply updated reprints, although well done, of older editions. In many ways I look at the DR like the KJV, yet you can find the KJV in many sylish editions with or without many modern Bible study apparatus. I think it would help the popularity of the DR considerably.

Here are some examples:

christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=563122&netp_id=523086&event=HPT&item_code=WW&view=covers

christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=533175&netp_id=516199&event=EBRN&item_code=WW&view=covers

christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=9819669&netp_id=160141&event=EBRN&item_code=WW&view=covers

I love the last one in particular. The thinline KJV is genuine leather, and has maps, cross-references, and a concordance. We need some Bible options like that! 👍
 
Rolltide

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m very familiar with the Baronius Press Douay-Rheims Bibles. They’re quite nice, but are no longer bound in genuine leather, only bonded leather. Last week I spoke directly with their office in Pennsylvania and they confirmed this. If bonded leather is your thing then their Bibles are hard to beat (and they claim that their bonded leather is a top quality product from a highly reputable manufacturer) , but I really prefer genuine leather.

If they release a high quality genuine leather (like they used to make) in the future then I’ll certainly purchase one.

Regards
David
// i actually thought that the douai-rheims version by baronius press was in morocco leather…so i guess i have the burgundy bonded leather version…i wonder why the price is still pretty high if it’s bonded leather?
 
// i actually thought that the douai-rheims version by baronius press was in morocco leather…so i guess i have the burgundy bonded leather version…i wonder why the price is still pretty high if it’s bonded leather?
Jehutx X

If you have an old copy it may be Moroccan leather since they made the switch recently to bonded leather. The old and new are indistinguishable as far as part numbers go. I could tell that mine was not genuine leather as soon as I laid my hands on it.

Many reseller websites have NOT updated their descriptions to match the change - Amazon.com has as far as I know.

David
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top