Would you buy a premium leather Catholic Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dkushner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
mccorm

Hey, it’s been a while. I hadn’t seen St. Benedict Press’s recent offerings, but it appears that they have a close relationship with TAN Books:

saintbenedictpress.com/Catholic-Classics/Douay-Rheims-Bibles.cfm?ct=1361

tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:bibles/

These look to be the exact same Douay-Rheims Bibles offered by ‘different’ companies. I know that TAN went through some type of re-org or we bought by another company, or something like that, so maybe that explains the duplicate items offered by both companies.

If either company ends up selling on Amazon I’ll buy a DR or RSV-CE since Amazon has such a good (risk free) return policy. I’ve been burned by too many overpriced, cheap quality, Bibles to risk ordering one that I can’t return at no charge.

Dave
I have a quick question about newer Douay version bibles… Regarding Psalm numbers, do they still not match what one would find in a NAB version of the bible for instance? An example of what I"m talking about is this:

NAB Psalm 14:
usccb.org/nab/bible/psalms/psalm14.htm
1
1 For the leader. Of David. 2 Fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” Their deeds are loathsome and corrupt; not one does what is right.
2
The LORD looks down from heaven upon the human race, To see if even one is wise, if even one seeks God.
3
All have gone astray; all alike are perverse. Not one does what is right, not even one.
4
Will these evildoers never learn? They devour my people as they devour bread; they do not call upon the LORD.
5
They have good reason, then, to fear; God is with the company of the just.
6
They would crush the hopes of the poor, but the poor have the LORD as their refuge.
Douay Psalm 52
1 Unto the end, for Maeleth, understandings to David. The fool said in his heart: There is no God. 2 They are corrupted, and become abominable in iniquities: there is none that doth good. 3 God looked down from heaven on the children of men: to see if there were any that did understand, or did seek God. 4 All have gone aside, they are become unprofitable together, there is none that doth good, no not one. 5 Shall not all the workers of iniquity know, who eat up my people as they eat bread? 6 They have not called upon God: there have they trembled for fear, where there was no fear. For God hath scattered the bones of them that please men: they have been confounded, because God hath despised them 7 Who will give out of Sion the salvation of Israel? when God shall bring back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.
It’s not that I have any personal issue with the numbering of Psalms, nor am I suggesting the the Douay version is in any way “wrong”. To the contrary, I’m sure the Douay version is probably correct “per how you would find then numbered in the vulgate”, and perhaps there was some reason the NAB renumbered them. My problem is with bible study, my reference materials pretty much all assume I’m using NAB, or something that numbers Psalms how the NAB does. In these situations, using the Douay bible becomes more of a challenge… In fact if I really wanted to I’d have to be using the bible online, and be doing a lot of googling, and I’d have to know some key phrases to look for. Which usually means I need to have the NAB with me anyway, so I can look at the psalm, and find those key phrases… which at that point, why aren’t I not just reading the psalm out of the NAB?

It’s a little fustrating lol.
 
and now I’m wondering whether to get one of those St Benedict Douays. The typesetting is much better than Baronius, judging from the reviewers photos. The words of Christ are in red, too. Plus they’ve changed the layout of the footnotes and tables at the back, to make them more readable. Looks like the illustrations are far nicer, too. Hmmmmm!
 
I have a quick question about newer Douay version bibles… Regarding Psalm numbers, do they still not match what one would find in a NAB version of the bible for instance? An example of what I"m talking about is this:

NAB Psalm 14:
usccb.org/nab/bible/psalms/psalm14.htm

Douay Psalm 52

It’s not that I have any personal issue with the numbering of Psalms, nor am I suggesting the the Douay version is in any way “wrong”. To the contrary, I’m sure the Douay version is probably correct “per how you would find then numbered in the vulgate”, and perhaps there was some reason the NAB renumbered them. My problem is with bible study, my reference materials pretty much all assume I’m using NAB, or something that numbers Psalms how the NAB does. In these situations, using the Douay bible becomes more of a challenge… In fact if I really wanted to I’d have to be using the bible online, and be doing a lot of googling, and I’d have to know some key phrases to look for. Which usually means I need to have the NAB with me anyway, so I can look at the psalm, and find those key phrases… which at that point, why aren’t I not just reading the psalm out of the NAB?

It’s a little fustrating lol.
The Douay and the NAB do number their Psalms differently. One follows the Greek and the other the Hebrew. I believe Psalm 8 and 9 is where numbering starts to differ.
 
and now I’m wondering whether to get one of those St Benedict Douays. The typesetting is much better than Baronius, judging from the reviewers photos. The words of Christ are in red, too. Plus they’ve changed the layout of the footnotes and tables at the back, to make them more readable. Looks like the illustrations are far nicer, too. Hmmmmm!
Although I did not purchase one when I saw it at a local Catholic bookstore, I must say that they did a great job of updating the look of the old Douay-Rheims. It is basically the same classic translation, in a more modern, updated edition. Which is something that is definitely needed, since one can easily get an edition of the KJV in various modern type-settings and covers.
 
The Douay and the NAB do number their Psalms differently. One follows the Greek and the other the Hebrew. I believe Psalm 8 and 9 is where numbering starts to differ.
Hmmm, so I take it the NAB then follows a format closer to what I imagine the proestants use? Do you know if there is a map between the two?
 
Hmmm, so I take it the NAB then follows a format closer to what I imagine the proestants use? Do you know if there is a map between the two?
Wikipedia has the correct info on this. This I did check the Psalm 8 had 2 versions and the Douay-Rheims has both the Greek and Hebrew version as 1 Psalm whereas Protestant Bibles and most Catholic Bibles follow the same suite of dividing them up.
 
Hmmm, so I take it the NAB then follows a format closer to what I imagine the proestants use? Do you know if there is a map between the two?
Here is a pretty decent, quick reference as to the difference in numbering, Hebrew\Greek:

This is from Traditionalcatholic.net:
A note regarding Psalm numbering differences in various Bible translations
Code:
Older Catholic translations follow the Greek numbering found in the Septuagint and Vulgate.
Code:
Protestant and recent Catholic translations (i.e. the NAB) follow a modified numbering found in the Hebrew (Masoretic Text).
Code:
The two systems correspond as follows:
Code:
  Hebrew  Greek      Comment
  1       = 1        ·From 1 to 8, the numbers are identical. 
  8       = 8    
  9       = 9A       ·Psalm 9 in Greek is Psalms 9 and 10 in Hebrew.
  10      = 9B      
  11      = 10       ·From 11 to 113, the number in Greek
  113     = 112         is one less than the Hebrew.
  114     = 113A     
  115     = 113B     ·Greek Psalm 113 is Hebrew Psalms 114 and 115, 
  116     = 114-115  ·Greek Psalms 114 and 115 are Hebrew Psalm 116. 
  117     = 116      ·From 117 to 146, the number in Greek is
  146     = 145         is one less than the Hebrew. 
  147     = 146-147  ·Greek Psalms 146 and 147 are Hebrew Psalm 147.
  148     = 148      
  149     = 149      ·From 148 to 150, the numbering is identical. 
  150     = 150
 
These are my dream specs for a Catholic Bible:

Cover: Goatskin
Translations: NJB, NRSV
Columns: 1
Margins: Wide
Font: 12-pt Caslon
Commentary: No
 
I love the Douay-Rheims, so I would love to have a leather Bible of that version as well as the Vulgate. Well a leather Catholic Bible in general would be awesome
It’s not leather, but have you ever held, or seen the Biblia Sacra( Douay-Rheims Clementine Bible) , if your willing to fork out the extra cash, (its about 80/90 quid i think, or may that’s in dollars)

baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=50

I would LOVE to own it, but alas, i do not have the money
 
I’ve never seen a page from that Bible. Do you think it is entirely reset type, or is it photocopied from the 1859 edition?
honestly not entirly sure, I will say there are some area’s where the ink fades pretty dramatically. I haven’t encountered any text where I couldnt’ figure out what was written, but if there are faults to the publication then it is this issue of some faded text and the bible not having a TOC. I fully intend to correct the lack of TOC issue by making one my self and perhaps taping it just inside the front cover (or if anyone has a better suggestion I’m open).

Other than that it’s a terrific bible, the notes are extensive and offer terrific insight into the scripture, even if some of Haydocks accepted beliefs seem like they might have some holes in them (after comparing notes with Dr. Hahn). Over all he’s very solid, and has really brought me deeper into scripture.

It includes an abbrivated Catholic Bible dictionary, exerpt from the Council of Trent, an admonishment when today would serve more as a historical footnote and some other nice details.
 
I prefer the King James Version. I think it is the most beautiful translation I have ever read. I have tried reading Douay-Rheims but it lacks the poetry of KJV. I don’t much care for the modern translations either. Currently I have a KJV with the deuterocanonical books in a separate section. So it has all the Catholic books even if they’re not all in the right places. It’s a good Oxford paperback so it’s not hard on my eyes. However, I would love a white leather one with good quality paper and easy-to-read type.
 
I have one and it is photocopied.
Thanks for your answer. I imagined it was, since the publisher says it is a reprint of the 1859 Edition. If anyone can do so, I would also be interested in seeing a picture of a page. I am curious about the measurements of the blank margins around the text.
 
Thanks for your answer. I imagined it was, since the publisher says it is a reprint of the 1859 Edition. If anyone can do so, I would also be interested in seeing a picture of a page. I am curious about the measurements of the blank margins around the text.
I’ll be happy to at least snap some pictures, or if possible scan a page though I’m not sure if my scanner will be able to get a whole page or not. I’ll try to do a best and worst case page.
 
I spent $113.00 to rebind a family bible from the 50’s. It was worth every penny to me.
p.s. That was in vinyl
 
Sorry I haven’t gotten around to those pics/scans yet, been busy 😦 I’ll try to have that done as soon as I can.
 
I would actually like a High Quality NAB. Something I could read with the family. I have a RSV (KJV) and Douay/Rheims as well as an inexpensive NAB. I like the RSV and Douay for comparison and study but reading I prefer the NAB. Having a nice NAB would make studying with the kids easier.

God Bless You

P.S. When you find someone to print can you try to get permission to give us the link?

Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top