W
wacky_wonderful
Guest
If you could, would you live in a Catholic commune/intentional community? Yes, no, maybe…share your thoughts, please.
I’m praying for the guidance and blessing of the Holy Family on our intentions and hopes.I agree that the structure is essential. What I’ve seen ranges from monastic life (Little Portion in Arkansas) to social justice action communities. I’m not looking to leave the world (been there), but rather join financial forces with others to create a community that is contrary to the ways of the world. Personally, I believe that our country’s focus on independence is contrary to the Gospel.Actually, there are several in place. Some are for traditionalists, some for ‘back to the farm’ types, etc. I would love to join some I’ve heard of, others…not so much. Depends on how it would be set up, what level of ‘communal’ we are talking about, etc. Some are simply gatherings of likeminded people who want to live near others with the same beliefs. I would LOVE to be in one of those!
That is what I’m talking about. A real ‘community’ atmosphere. The one I’m interested in is in Michigan, and the people there all own their own little ‘homestead’ and just live in close proximity. There is no communal ownership of property. But each family helps the others in whatever way they can. If one is good at gardening, they teach others to do it, and share their bountiful harvest. If one is good at mechanical things, they help others keep the cars and tractors running. If one is skilled at construction, they help with barnraising and house building. If one is sick, others take care of their kids, bring meals, whatever is needed. It’s a true Christian community, like you hear about in the book of Acts, where believers shared with one another and helped each other in times of need.I agree that the structure is essential. What I’ve seen ranges from monastic life (Little Portion in Arkansas) to social justice action communities. I’m not looking to leave the world (been there), but rather join financial forces with others to create a community that is contrary to the ways of the world. Personally, I believe that our country’s focus on independence is contrary to the Gospel. Gertie
Ridgerunner, thanks for bringing this up. It got me thinking about my little boy.A family is a “commune” all its own. Each family has its own peculiar character and “mini-institutions”, and I think the development of a “family culture” is important. A commune, as I understand it, is a kind of “uniculture”, and I think they absorb the energies that should go into family formation and culture.
Having said that, I think they’re just fine for single people who want to live that life; perhaps for married couples without children.
The one I’m interested in is in Michigan, and the people there all own their own little ‘homestead’ and just live in close proximity. There is no communal ownership of property. But each family helps the others in whatever way they can.
It’s a true Christian community, like you hear about in the book of Acts, where believers shared with one another and helped each other in times of need.
QUOTE]
WOW! I just browsed through their website, and it was so inspiring! Now if we could use that as a guideline for creating something out here in bee-you-tea-full Colorado… God’s will be done.
Gertie
See Teakafrog’s post above for the link to Home-n-stead. Their practice is that anyone who loves God is welcome in their community.No, as I don’t see us fitting into one. DH isn’t Catholic, we’re infertile so no kiddos unless we adopt, and I work outside of the home.
South Florida??What’ s the guys name who founded Dominos Pizza? Anyway, I think he is building an actual Catholic town somewhere in S. Florida …
Because some folks are absolutely sold on people not working outside the home if they have children.
And a lot of communities have standards and rules about living in them even if they live in independent homes. If you don’t choose to accept those community rules it makes it hard to be part of the community.
Living with people in an “intentional” community requires much more discipline and sacrifice than living in a close knit, highly interactive neighborhood.
I would love to live in a Catholic community as well. But my definition of one may not be yours at all. So for now I will stay at my job, in my huge parish Church, in my non-Catholic neighborhood with it’s home owners association rules. Not exactly what I had in mind…
I agree whole heartedly…No, I would not. I love being among a community of believers, but that is why I go to mass regularly, and participate in a number of church activities; and have many friends who are believers.
However, I also feel that it is important to be part of the whole community, because I think that Christ wants to work through us to reach others who are not believers. We can’t reach out to them if we’re not around them. All nonbelievers need to be able to see and be near believers so that they can have the opportunity to reach out to us, and us to them, in their search for Christ.