Would you live in a Catholic commune?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wacky_wonderful
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus didn’t tell the disciples to go forth and make communes to shut themselves out from the rest of the world. Where would we be without people like Mother Theresa? Good thing she didn’t retreat to a Catholic commune. The church wouldn’t be what it is now if we hadn’t spread out making believers in all nations.
I don’t think it is an either/or thing. There are people called to interior life of contemplation away from the buzz of the world.
 
I don’t think it is an either/or thing. There are people called to interior life of contemplation away from the buzz of the world.
That’s different. You’re talking about consecrated nuns, right?
 
Jesus didn’t tell the disciples to go forth and make communes to shut themselves out from the rest of the world. Where would we be without people like Mother Theresa? Good thing she didn’t retreat to a Catholic commune. The church wouldn’t be what it is now if we hadn’t spread out making believers in all nations.
Actually, the early Christians did share all things in common. :bible1: I don’t think that God has changed since then, so it must be us humans.

With respect to all who have posted here so far, I think one of the keys here is defining the word “commune.” I prefer the phrase “intentional community” because people are choosing to create a community in which they live.

I did live the life of shutting out “the rest of the world” for two years, as a contemplative nun. It was beautiful, but there certainly isn’t anything easy about living 24/7 with even a small group of women ranging from 19 (me) to over 90 years old. It was gold being refined in the fire. Anyone who thinks living in community is easy should talk to a cloistered nun, or someone from a large family!

I don’t know specifically what W&W was referring to when she posted her question, but I’m talking about something open, welcoming, a Light of God’s love shining in the larger community. I’m talking about people sharing God’s abundance with one another and the larger community, and of people who also work out in the community - both for money and as volunteers.

I’m not envisioning anything nearly as “cult” like as the convent, in which everything from the clothes I wore to how I swept the floor was dictated to me from the moment I arrived. And the Prioress would look through every package I received and tell me what I could and couldn’t keep, and I never got paid for the work I did, and I was borderline sleep-deprived from the regular chanting of the Divine Office, and I had to give away everything I owned, and I had to cut my hair! (but it was a good cult:D )

When talking about creating an intentional community, I’m just talking about pooling resources, sharing meals and prayers several times a week, living in Gospel simplicity and putting our “love for one another into a living action” (as Blessed Mother Teresa said). And yes, bringing children and grandparents and everyone in between into the mix to keep us from taking ourselves too seriously. I’m not talking about monastic life, and I’m not talking about creating or joining a cult.

Just my :twocents:

Blessings to all.
Gertie
 
I’m talking about people sharing God’s abundance with one another and the larger community, and of people who also work out in the community - both for money and as volunteers.
When talking about creating an intentional community, I’m just talking about pooling resources, sharing meals and prayers several times a week, living in Gospel simplicity and putting our “love for one another into a living action” (as Blessed Mother Teresa said). And yes, bringing children and grandparents and everyone in between into the mix to keep us from taking ourselves too seriously. I’m not talking about monastic life, and I’m not talking about creating or joining a cult.
A perfect explanation of what I meant, Gertie. Thanks!! I have friends who are struggling and I wish I could help, but there doesn’t seem to be a way. There’s my 70 year old friend who lives 30 minutes away in a big house, all alone. She has been depressed lately. She has to call her kids and ask them to visit, they do not do it on their own. There’s the retired priest down the road who told me yesterday that he had fallen again. He has family in the area, and I wonder why he continues to live alone with all his various health problems. There is the grandma who is raising her 2 young grandchildren alone and the little boy is starved for male attention. How much better it would be if we could break down the barriers and help each other. But pride, independence and stubborness get in the way. I mentioned earlier the situation with my neighbor. Her nephew fixed my brakes yesterday. He and his girlfriend live in a hobo camp. He does good work, is honest and trustworthy. Not a Catholic, but a believer nonetheless.

I think it’s all about attitude. Being independent is valued above relying on others and being relied upon. Right?
 
A perfect explanation of what I meant, Gertie. Thanks!! I have friends who are struggling and I wish I could help, but there doesn’t seem to be a way. There’s my 70 year old friend who lives 30 minutes away in a big house, all alone. She has been depressed lately. She has to call her kids and ask them to visit, they do not do it on their own. There’s the retired priest down the road who told me yesterday that he had fallen again. He has family in the area, and I wonder why he continues to live alone with all his various health problems. There is the grandma who is raising her 2 young grandchildren alone and the little boy is starved for male attention. How much better it would be if we could break down the barriers and help each other. But pride, independence and stubborness get in the way. I mentioned earlier the situation with my neighbor. Her nephew fixed my brakes yesterday. He and his girlfriend live in a hobo camp. He does good work, is honest and trustworthy. Not a Catholic, but a believer nonetheless.
I think it’s all about attitude. Being independent is valued above relying on others and being relied upon. Right?
TRUE… part of why I feel extended family is so so important…

I think you’re coming from a very unique situation, w&w, and I’m sorry this is a struggle for you…
I think those of us reacting negatively to your post are coming from a situation in which we already have much of what you’re searching for within our extended families and communities. So the idea of a “Catholic commune” sounds really extreme.

God bless… continue to pray that God brings you to YOUR perfect community/family life…
 
I would, but I’m not sure dh would. I tend to be a bit of an idealist, and don’t always see the downside of things until I’m in the situation…

I would want to own my own home, but I think it would be great to all have a large, communal back yard. You could have a huge garden, share in responsibities, have dinner together regularly, watch each other’s kids, carpool to the grocery store. Anyone watch “Big Love” on HBO? Something like that (without the husband sharing, lol!) would be fun.
 
I would, but I’m not sure dh would. I tend to be a bit of an idealist, and don’t always see the downside of things until I’m in the situation…

I would want to own my own home, but I think it would be great to all have a large, communal back yard. You could have a huge garden, share in responsibities, have dinner together regularly, watch each other’s kids, carpool to the grocery store. Anyone watch “Big Love” on HBO? Something like that (without the husband sharing, lol!) would be fun.
haha! I loved that show and thought that would be fun…except for the husband sharing of course, but the rest of it seemed like a cool concept.
 
I understand the sentiments expressed here, particularly as we in Western culture become so self-isolated in our daily lives…but I gotta ask the obvious…why can’t all these desires be lived out by putting energy into our parishes? I must be blessed more than most, but my small semi-rural parish is a huge source of community, not just in prayer and worship, but in mutual caring and sharing, in addition to a tremendous amount of outreach to those outside the parish.

Whats preventing us from making our parishes what they were truly meant to be?

God bless you!
 
I understand the sentiments expressed here, particularly as we in Western culture become so self-isolated in our daily lives…but I gotta ask the obvious…why can’t all these desires be lived out by putting energy into our parishes? I must be blessed more than most, but my small semi-rural parish is a huge source of community, not just in prayer and worship, but in mutual caring and sharing, in addition to a tremendous amount of outreach to those outside the parish.

Whats preventing us from making our parishes what they were truly meant to be?

God bless you!
BRILLIANT and thought-provoking questions!!!

Living in an area which is populated by people who are highly-educated and upper middle class, as well as people with little education and living at or below the poverty level, I can tell you, I’m not seeing this happening. Those with extra may (and don’t always) share financially with organizations that help those in need. But I know of only one person, herself a woman of moderate means, who opened the spare room in her home to a student at well-below market value rent.

“Lack” of what is needed to live a full and meaningful life, however, goes far beyond the material possessions. The Missionaries of Charity take a vow to serve the “poorest of the poor” yet they have houses throughout the US - the wealthiest country the world has ever seen!!! Why? Because the poverty of isolation, of loneliness, of being “dispensible” or, worse, of being “invisible” is a poverty at least as great as the lack of food, clothing, and shelter. The latter robs one of life, but the former robs one of worth, perhaps even one’s very soul.

My prejudice here, and I openly and sadly admit I have one, is about the families in this area who live with all the accessories of wealth, basically blaming the poor for not having more. You know, they say things like, “Why don’t they just go back to school?” or “Why don’t they just go back to their home country?” or “Why don’t they just live closer to their extended family?” It is too easy for those who have much to look down their noses at, or at least turn a blind eye away from those who have less. I must also admit that I am one who has extra and yet I don’t share. My excuse is that I don’t know how I can right now.

I understand this is perfectly acceptable in US culture. But as Catholics we are not meant to conform to this world.

As for the Parish - I totally agree that as a faith community it is our job to rock society’s boat. I am going to bring this to prayer. What IS preventing us from living out in our parishes the Kingdom of God on earth? (besides me and my sinfulness) But really, if Blessed Mother Teresa can do it, why not each of us? We are each called to be saints, after all.

Gertie
 
TRUE… part of why I feel extended family is so so important…

True enough, but I think there are more people like me than one would think, simply because they stay silent and in the background. Living lives of quiet desperation? Sorry, seemed like a good time to say that! Anyway, extended family is the ideal. For those without, for whatever reason, what do you do? I don’t think anyone has been especially negative in their responses. To each their own. I’ve enjoyed the discussion.
 
I would, but I’m not sure dh would. I tend to be a bit of an idealist, and don’t always see the downside of things until I’m in the situation…

I would want to own my own home, but I think it would be great to all have a large, communal back yard. You could have a huge garden, share in responsibities, have dinner together regularly, watch each other’s kids, carpool to the grocery store. Anyone watch “Big Love” on HBO? Something like that (without the husband sharing, lol!) would be fun.
Now you get the idea! No husband sharing? Can I rent one? Just for repairs? Haven’t seen the program, don’t have cable. If the heathens can do it, why can’t we?! 😛
 
I understand the sentiments expressed here, particularly as we in Western culture become so self-isolated in our daily lives…but I gotta ask the obvious…why can’t all these desires be lived out by putting energy into our parishes? I must be blessed more than most, but my small semi-rural parish is a huge source of community, not just in prayer and worship, but in mutual caring and sharing, in addition to a tremendous amount of outreach to those outside the parish.

Whats preventing us from making our parishes what they were truly meant to be? God bless you!
Where do you live? I’m moving to your neighborhood. In this area, the rural church I attended (and have since left) is toxic. I didn’t attend there expectring to be accepted, but I was led there and I had hoped to find a way to contribute. When I had a need, it was made clear to me that I was not to bother them. Boy, was it made clear! They are all related, they own the priest and when they say jump, he jumps. So I left. Who need 'em? Yes, you are blessed.
 
I’d suggest joining a Catholic groups that has some sort of structure first such as a homeschool support group. That can be a real eye opener. I used to think that I’d like to live in an all Catholic neighborhood with a common play area, rec center, etc. but I’ve come to realize on that on a cabin trip I’m done after about a week. The fact is that, if we moved to a neighborhood like this, we’d socialize far too much with our neighbors! :eek: We’d be sick of each other after a month.
 
I’d suggest joining a Catholic groups that has some sort of structure first such as a homeschool support group. That can be a real eye opener.
Did that, back in the mid 80’s. I remember that we sat around the kitchen table at one member’s home and made rosaries. The eldest daughter had a boyfriend named Marvin, so she named one her cows after him. Then they broke up, so Marvin was sent to the slaughterhouse! Years later, one of the daughters from one family married a son from another family.
 
Em_in_FL;1527049:
TRUE… part of why I feel extended family is so so important…
True enough, but I think there are more people like me than one would think, simply because they stay silent and in the background. Living lives of quiet desperation? Sorry, seemed like a good time to say that! Anyway, extended family is the ideal. For those without, for whatever reason, what do you do? I don’t think anyone has been especially negative in their responses. To each their own. I’ve enjoyed the discussion.
Can you find a bigger town? Or a larger parish?

Our parish is overflowing with available activities… prayer circles, events, clubs, retreats… our bulletin has daily activities that hundreds of people take advantage of! Our parish is just LIKE an extended family… and none of us are actually related! We actually have to avoid situations of being “too busy” with socializing and actively HELPING OTHERS in our community… there are so many opportunities it can sometimes be overwhelming.

I highly suggest finding a large and active parish community… you CAN get that feeling!
What about volunteer centers? Every big city has a NEED for volunteers…
 
Can you find a bigger town? Or a larger parish? I highly suggest finding a large and active parish community… you CAN get that feeling!
What about volunteer centers? Every big city has a NEED for volunteers…
Sounds like you all are having more fun than the law allows!

It appears that I have landed a full time job that will have me on the road before sun-up and home after dark. Weekends will be spent recouperating! Hooray!!!
 
I think an urban neighborhood around a parish might be nice. I have heard about ethnic parishes in neighborhoods where community really worked in the somewhat distant past.
You know the kind of places where processions could be done. Gosh that sounds weak.
There are two parishes in our town. We have about 8000 parishioners in ours. The other is smaller but still good sized.
But frankly if you don’t attend one of the two parishes you would never know in this town that there are many Catholics.
It’s not that I want us to be all show. I would just like us to have a visible presence.
I have offered (once again) to be a neighborhood ministry member. But when I get my list it seems there are few Catholics in our area.
I know. I just need to get active in one of our ministries. And we have tons. stjohn-catholic.org/ Check it out.
 
It depends what you mean by commune.

I would love to design a proper Catholic community where people take responsibility for all the things that are needed on a shared basis, but grant families privacy and provides the basics of life.
 
It depends what you mean by commune. I would love to design a proper Catholic community where people take responsibility for all the things that are needed on a shared basis, but grant families privacy and provides the basics of life.
Sounds good. 👍
 
Has anyone read about the Catholic community that the Dominos pizza founder is building?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top