Would you remove a crucifix from your wall if a Realtor asked you to?

• Thread starter Thread starter Aurelia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aurelia

A while back I read an article in the real estate section of the paper, giving pointers on how to make a house more sellable. One of the suggestions was to remove any religious symbols you might have on display in order not to “offend” prospective buyers. I guess it’s all right, though, to offend Christians by asking them to remove the crosses from their walls.

40.png
Aurelia:
A while back I read an article in the real estate section of the paper, giving pointers on how to make a house more sellable. One of the suggestions was to remove any religious symbols you might have on display in order not to “offend” prospective buyers. I guess it’s all right, though, to offend Christians by asking them to remove the crosses from their walls.
Maybe.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking it down if you know or suspect a potential buyer will be offended. After all, Paul became like the people he was with, to win them over. My home is no more or less holy because I take down some items temporarily. If I’m not willing to be sensitive to them than I should not be willing to sell them the home. That may be good or bad, depending on your point of view. For example, if they are offended because of your choice of home decor, then is there more likely to be problems in the actual financial transaction?

The flipside of that is to leave them there and risk offending some while risking striking up a conversation with others, especially if they show the house while I am there. I wonder if this “advice” was written by a Catholic realtor?

I’m not offended at the idea that others might offended by my religion; I consider it a fact of life.

Alan

ya, i’d do it. i mean, not everyone shares our faith, and if your object is to sell your house, why not do what is necessary to sell it? while i find it sad that people are offended by symbols of faith, i think even the loving thing to do when in the presence of someone without faith in Christ is to ‘tone it down a bit’ so as to not be obnoxious.

The crucifix should stay up. Otherwise you become a closet Christian. The personal act of removing it should tear at your heart. However, other items can be hidden, as we do not put what is holy before dogs. So I would not necessarily have all the other items in their usual places.

No, I wouldn’t, mainly because I am not convinced that it is likely to be offensive. Finding the right house can be so laborious that decor and knicknacks can hardly be factored into the equation. Now avocado green and harvest yellow, that is offensive.

Dearest Friend

No I would not remove one single religious item I have in my house. I wouldn’t do this because it is my house for sale not the items within it and to be honest I wouldn’t want someone who was so disposed as to be offended that it was necessary for me to rearrange my home for them to view, taking up residency into my ex-home. I always dislike to see churches that have been sold and made into homes. I know it is bricks and mortar, but our bodies are simply shells for our souls in a similar fashion and you wouldn’t desicrate your body, why allow someone to make you remove your items that you have placed in your home for the love of your Lord Jesus? If they don’t like those items, simple, they don’t buy the house.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Why are the buyers looking at your personal items, when they should be looking at the house? Now if all of your items that happen to be religious seemed cluttered on the wall, then maybe. I just bought a house last year, was more interested in the infrastucture, not what I saw. I knew I was going to paint/wallpaper every wall.

Absolutely, positively, NO NO NO NO NO! I am not ashamed of my religious beliefs and not afraid to let people know this. God is what has gotten me through some of the hardest times of my life and I am a much better person because of Him. Why would I risk offending Him for selling my house?God bless, Puppy

If someone doesn’t want to buy the house I’m selling because of the decor, I have a whole heap of “problems” with higher priority than the crucifixes in every room! :rotfl: (I wonder if I could get my parish, around the corner, to turn off the Angelus bells when I’m showing? I’d better plant some trees to block the view too)

Maybe we are just open-minded? When we bought, we didn’t mind the mezuzah on the back door. We still don’t – It is there to this day. We did mind the purple(no kidding!) bathroom, but we fixed that right after closing! 😛

Anyway, because I am fond of the neighbors, I hope I’d be able to sell to someone similarly open-minded. :twocents:

If you want to sell your house (St Joseph statue :rolleyes: or no): When you know the realtor is bringing a potential buyer, bake cookies, bread, or brownies. 😉
(Of course then, you risk offending the Atkins people!)

tee
(Oh, crud! I’m going to have to take out the stylized-but-religiously-themed-if-you-look-close-enough stained glass windows too! What a shame after nearly 100 years!)

Nope! If I own it and I am living there the religious articles stay in sight til the day I move. Not to mention the three huge outdoor statues and the St Francis fountain are not going to be removed except by the moving crew…LOL! Lord have Mercy! No way I could move them.

Last time we sold I hired a Catholic realtor. That helps. Catholic do buy houses you know. In the end we sold to a Protestant family. The only problem was they wanted to negotiate buying the house and keeping the St Francis fountain as they liked it. 😃 They of course gave up on that real quick when we told them it was a special gift from our children which goes with us. 🙂

Nope. That would be denying my Faith.

I’m not in charge of what is going on inside a person – one way or the other – when they see a crucifix.

Having 3 in one room (like I do in the living room) would be awfully distracting to anyone trying to pay attention to the house (shell), itself.

** The one hanging on a wall is the crucifix that Mom had in our kitchen at all times which after her passing I received from her estate.

** The one hanging inside over the front door is the one that I bought for myself on retreat about 25 years ago.

** One propped on the fireplace mantel is the one that a co-parishoner bent into shape from a palm last Palm Sunday.

I’d probably need to take down two of those, leaving just the one crucifix up.

However, the picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the framed photo from the movie The Passion of the Christ of Jesus holding up the bread with the words alongside it for “this is My Body which will be given up for you”, and the artwork of the Blessed Virgin of her as a mature woman of the age that she was when Jesus died and rose – those all stay!

Regardless of the faith issue, it’s just plain dumb advice.

You’re obviously a devout Catholic. If you were planning to buy a house, would you be offended if there was a Star or David or menorah on display? Or a statue of Buddah? Why would a rational person be offended by any religious symbol?

The only people who will be offended by your crucifix are anti-Catholics, and do you really want them living in “your” home?

I have a crucifix or icon in every room of my house, and wouldn’t think of removing them.

I would absolutely not remove any religious symbols from the walls. If a potential buyer is going to freak out about what personal items I have displayed in the house that I own and that I will be taking with me when I leave, then I probably don’t want to bother selling to that person. They’ll be a pain during negotiations and closing.

And yeah, I’d find another realtor.

Nope and I’d fire the realtor too if he/she asked me to do that.

When we bought our first home, we saw it for the first time just before Christmas. I remember how happy I was to see the advent wreath on the table (obviously well used) and other indications of the Catholic homeowners’ faith.

Now, in a general move to declutter the house, I might remove some religious items along with other decorative things. Tone down the number of things (4 Holy Water fonts down to 2 🙂 ) But I wouldn’t try to hide the Catholic decor.

Excuse me Lord…since I dont have Faith that you can send a buyer to my home that wouldnt be offended by seeing your image on my wall…I’ll just take ya down for awhile… :rolleyes:

Areligious people crack me up…

On a side note of Holy images in houses…anyone ever get sucked into watching those Home makeover shows or the Celebrity home shows?

If ya have…ever notice how there is NEVER any sign whatsoever of religious (Christian) imagry anywhere to be found? Whenever I come across these shows whilst flipping channels, I like to stop and spend a few minutes just to see…so far I havent seen ONE picture of Jesus or the Blessed Mother ANYWHERE in these homes… if you walked into my house…heck even BEFORE…(We have an image of Our Lady of the bowed Head) in our window) you would enter our house and couldnt help but know were Christians.

After what I went through last year selling my home in Chicago and buying a new one in Michigan, I’ll be honest in saying that I hold have a lot of respect for realtors and don’t see any value in removing Christ from my house. It’s by the grace of God that we have homes and by the grace of God that they’ll sell. I don’t care who’s coming through my home…they come in already knowing that it’s MY home and that they’ll come into an empty house if they buy and can put in whatever will make it THEIR home.

While I would remove a lot of my knicknacks, I certainly wouldn’t remove my crucifixes (I have one in every room) or my other religious items.

This reminds me of an episode of one of those “Sell Your Home” TV shows last year. A Realtor comes in and helps you prepare your home to sell. The couple, obviously Catholic, had several religious items – statues, a wall rosary, a crucifix, etc. The FIRST thing they showed the couple doing was removing the religious items. I was offended!

'thann

40.png
SeekerJen:
I would absolutely not remove any religious symbols from the walls. If a potential buyer is going to freak out about what personal items I have displayed in the house that I own and that I will be taking with me when I leave, then I probably don’t want to bother selling to that person. They’ll be a pain during negotiations and closing.

And yeah, I’d find another realtor.
This is basically what I was going to say–anyone who would be offended by a crucifix would also likely be difficult to deal with during negotiations. When we were buying our house, the fact that the owner had Catholic religious art around the house (plus the fact that he had raised his family in the house and that his wife died in the house) all worked to make us feel respect for him, his family situation, and the history of our house. Furthermore, Catholics constitute at least 25 percent of the population and other Christians who wouldn’t be offended bring it up even higher. A crucifix is certainly not in the category of New Age crystals, a Buddhist shrine, or similar. Do you think the real estate agents tell Jews to take the mezzuzah off the door frame when they sell their homes? It never occurred to me to take down our crucifixes when we sold our house. Our real estate agent was Catholic, we sold to a family with an Irish last name. But it turns out the wife was Jewish and was insulted by my recommendation of a Lutheran pre-school and a Catholic elementary school for their children!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back