Would you remove a crucifix from your wall if a Realtor asked you to?

• Thread starter Thread starter Aurelia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I would not remove a Crucifix from the wall(I have one in every room and a picture of The Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary too). People should be interested in the structure itself and not the decor. Likewise, I do not remove my Statue/Grotto of The Blessed Virgin Mary from my yard when I have a garage sale. To do so would be ridiculous! We cannot be encouraged NOT to show our faith!

I agree with most of the philosophical arguments for keeping the religious items in their usual places.

In addition, from a strictly practical standpoint – a large number of Americans are Catholic, so just as you risk offending some you might actually attract more than you offend.

And another point, perhaps even more important, is the personality and character of the buyer. I have been on the selling end of several real estate transactions, and it’s much more difficult being the seller than the buyer. Dealing with a picky buyer is frustrating and costly. If the buyer is so petty as to be offended by a Catholic’s crucifix or other religious items, that’s only the first problem you’re going to have with that buyer. It’s just as well he/she find someone else’s house to buy.

Tricia Frances

40.png
Lucania:
People should be interested in the structure itself and not the decor.
People keep saying this, but I’d like to know how you can really see the structure when there is lots of decor in the way. I don’t think the real estate agent is wrong, I thing the agent doesn’t go far enough. If you want to sell your home for the best price and in a speedy manner, it is recommended by nearly every single real estate agent and book on selling your home that you remove items that personalize your home, excess furniture, repaint walls back to neutral colors, etc etc. Essentially, you want your home to present a canvas on which a potential buyer can paint (in their mind) their own decor, furniture, ideas about color.

Furthermore, Catholics are not required to display external piety with crucifixes and statues as a proof or sign of our faith and not displaying such can in no way be counted a rejection of our faith. I would think of removing these items from the wall as preparing myself to move to my new home, packing each item carefully so it will not be damaged in transport, not some sort of rejection of who I am.

To ways of looking at the situation, you can make it bare or make it look home looking with flowers and candles. I would personally get a professional cleaning service to do a good “spring cleaning”. Especialy of the kitchen where many of the appliances, which will probably stay in many cases.

No. I don’t mind offending those who oppose the Christain faith. Besides, I’m not convinced that religious symbols would affect the sale of a house in more than a very few instances.

40.png
Aurelia:
A while back I read an article in the real estate section of the paper, giving pointers on how to make a house more sellable. One of the suggestions was to remove any religious symbols you might have on display in order not to “offend” prospective buyers. I guess it’s all right, though, to offend Christians by asking them to remove the crosses from their walls.
You can not be affraid to show your beliefs when you have to. Be proud of your faith.

No, I will not remove the crucifix. That crucifix represents an earth shaking event in the history of mankind. My paraphrase of what Jesus said, “If you deny Me, I will deny you,” is sufficient for me to make that decision.

I trust in Jesus that my house will be sold to the best buyer. The world does not revolve around peope who are offended by a crucifix. There are many who know what that crucifix represents,

Theodora

40.png
Aurelia:
A while back I read an article in the real estate section of the paper, giving pointers on how to make a house more sellable. One of the suggestions was to remove any religious symbols you might have on display in order not to “offend” prospective buyers. I guess it’s all right, though, to offend Christians by asking them to remove the crosses from their walls.
Leaving the Crusifix up is a great way to show the warmth of the home. What better way to entice someone to buy your home. I guess maybe the atheists might be freaked out but I can’t believe that a Muslim or Jew would take offense.

I personally would not do it.

What I have on the walls is an expression of myself and serves to help my faith life. Religious items set a mood within my home as a loving God-fearing home where everyone is respected.

If a potential buyer is offended by what’s on my walls, then I am not so sure they would be the right buyer for my house. If a Realtor asked me to take it down, then I am not so sure they would be the right Realtor for me and would probably find another. What’s on MY walls in MY house is MY business, and if a potential buyer can’t get beyond that then maybe they should look at another house. Besides, maybe a nice Christian buyer might like the fact that Christians lived there and may like the potential of living in a house where a Christian family lived.

My wife and I recently sold our house to a young unwed couple. We were told they were engaged by their Realtor. They later told us they had no intention of getting married. So now there is a couple living in sin in our previous home. I think the Realtor told us that to make them look different to us.

Absolutely not. :nope: Because then it would be my holy water font, and then my icons, my picture of the Divine Mercy and probably even pictures of the Holy Father. Give a realtor an inch…

40.png
KateQ:
Absolutely not. :nope: Because then it would be my holy water font, and then my icons, my picture of the Divine Mercy and probably even pictures of the Holy Father. Give a realtor an inch…
You’re going to be packing it all up to move anyway, aren’t you?

I would say if you have all of that in your walls, your crucifix is the least of your realtor’s problems 😃

No I would not, my home is for sale and we have one above our door in our living room leading to our hall. It will stay there till we move.

Jennstall,

Well, yes, I will have to pack it all up and I won’t let packers do it. I think the bathrooms and laundry room are the only “Catholic-free” rooms. My only concession would be the little items I have – when someone gives something to me, I like to put it out, so I have tiny statues, etc. So, those I would put away to reduce visual clutter, but the walls are fine. I’ll just have to use a tolerant realtor!!

Pax et bonum. Kate

40.png
Aurelia:
I’d be more concerned about offending our dear Lord. I don’t think it would be a sin but it might bring a tear to His eye.

40.png
KateQ:
Jennstall,

Well, yes, I will have to pack it all up and I won’t let packers do it. I think the bathrooms and laundry room are the only “Catholic-free” rooms. My only concession would be the little items I have – when someone gives something to me, I like to put it out, so I have tiny statues, etc. So, those I would put away to reduce visual clutter, but the walls are fine. I’ll just have to use a tolerant realtor!!

Pax et bonum. Kate
I think any realtor will be fine if you just explain firmly that nothing is coming down. Just keep in mind when the suggestion is made that the realtor is trying to do their job in the best way that they know how and that they are probably not anti-Catholic. I’m sure they would say the same thing in a Jewish home that had a lot of religious items on display. They are not being anti-faith to make the suggestion, they are being pro-home-selling.

40.png
pnewton:
No, I wouldn’t, mainly because I am not convinced that it is likely to be offensive. Finding the right house can be so laborious that decor and knicknacks can hardly be factored into the equation. Now avocado green and harvest yellow, that is offensive.
I agree besides I would not want to take it down and put it up everytime someone came to see my house. If and when I sell my house my pictures of Mary and my crucifixes throughout the house will stay. I do feel like that is turning your back on your faith and Christ.

i really don’t think that taking down the external symbols of our faith in order to facilitate the sale of a house is ‘denying our faith’ or ‘putting God on a backburner’. to me, thinking this is a bit superstitious and almost borders on idolatry. God isn’t offended if we take our crucifix down, or even if we don’t have one to begin with. i took some items of strong religious attachment off my website when i started looking for a new roommate, because although God is the most important thing in my life, it’s not necessary for everyone to know that, especially before they meet me and realize that i’m a PERSON, not just a representative of the local church.

so i reiterate - yes, i’d take it down. and i’d keep the realtor employed, as his job is to sell my house, not my faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back