P
Pax
Guest
Here is another scriptural quote concerning the relevance of bishops and presbyters that dovetails with what you are saying:So yes, the Bible does protect us against deception; but probably not in the way you think. It does so by pointing us toward the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and the teachers who will guard us against cunning men and their deceptions.
…
…
We are protected by God against the deception of men, but it’s not via Sola Scripture, for even the devil can quote Scripture. We are protected by God through the Church, the pillar and foundation of the truth; through the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the teachers, and the pastors He has given us.
…
…
I think we’d have an idea. Remember, when Paul wrote his second letter to the Thessalonians, he said, “So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.” The Apostles didn’t merely write the word of God; they spoke it. And not only the Apostles spoke the word of God: the author of Hebrews writes, “Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God; consider the outcome of their life, and imitate their faith.”
…
I until just over a year ago, I’d believed Sola Scriptura, at least in theory. But when I realized that Scriptura itself teaches something else, I had to give it up.
Jeremy
Hebrews 13:17
Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you.