Your Experience with "Baptism in the Holy Spirit"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Neil_Anthony
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil_Anthony

Guest
Did you receive ‘Baptism of the Holy Spirit’? I don’t mean the sacrament of baptism I mean the pentacostal / charismatic baptism in the Spirit. If so what was it like for you? I would be interested to hear people’s experiences.
 
Yes. The bishop anointed my forehead with oil.

I also have had charismatic experiences (healing, knowledge, discernment) but don’t consider them to be a big deal (less essential than confirmation).
 
Wow, really? Which bishop was this? There wasn’t even a priest there when I received it.
😃

I was referring to Confirmation, naturally. The second paragraph was what you were referring to in your OP.

I regard the Pentecostal/Charismatic phenomenon as a non-event, even though I have received such blessing myself.
 
😃

I was referring to Confirmation, naturally. The second paragraph was what you were referring to in your OP.

I regard the Pentecostal/Charismatic phenomenon as a non-event, even though I have received such blessing myself.
Oh… so nothing really happened to you at the “baptism in the Spirit”?
 
Did you receive ‘Baptism of the Holy Spirit’? I don’t mean the sacrament of baptism I mean the pentacostal / charismatic baptism in the Spirit. If so what was it like for you? I would be interested to hear people’s experiences.
The experience I had in 2005 has been called a few different things. It was first described to me by a priest as how “people will burn out a stove so it will be clean”. It was called an “illumination” by another SD. In charismatic circles, it may be called a “baptism in the Holy Spirit”. I just know it was an intervention, the Truth and a choice. A lesson in true love as consolation. I was confirmed a few weeks later at the age of 34 and had my marriage blessed the same day. Samson
 
Why should anything happen to me? The important thing is the work God did through me! I am humbled to have been available.
What? I was just curious what happened to others when they were baptized in the spirit. Some people have things happen to them, like getting the gift of tongues. I find it interesting.

Did God do something through you when you were baptized in the Spirit?
 
The experience I had in 2005 has been called a few different things. It was first described to me by a priest as how “people will burn out a stove so it will be clean”. It was called an “illumination” by another SD. In charismatic circles, it may be called a “baptism in the Holy Spirit”. I just know it was an intervention, the Truth and a choice. A lesson in true love as consolation. I was confirmed a few weeks later at the age of 34 and had my marriage blessed the same day. Samson
Oh so this wasn’t part of a formal session entitled “baptism in the Spirit”? Still I would be interested to know what happened. What is an “illumination”?

When I experienced it, they told us that we were receiving baptism in the spirit. It was part of a retreat.
 
Oh so this wasn’t part of a formal session entitled “baptism in the Spirit”? Still I would be interested to know what happened. What is an “illumination”?

When I experienced it, they told us that we were receiving baptism in the spirit. It was part of a retreat.
No it wasn’t. It was an intervention to a suicide attempt. That there in lay the choice I was given. I chose the Lord to help me out. He did so before I finish the sentence, “God help me”. Samson
 
Could someone please explain the difference between baptism in the Holy Spirit and the Sacraments of baptism and confirmation? Is this something “extra” you can do to possibly receive the “gifts of the Holy Spirit”? I thought we already receive the Holy Spirit through regular baptism??
 
Could someone please explain the difference between baptism in the Holy Spirit and the Sacraments of baptism and confirmation? Is this something “extra” you can do to possibly receive the “gifts of the Holy Spirit”? I thought we already receive the Holy Spirit through regular baptism??
This link has some information:

ccrno.org/WhatisBaptism.php

"The Baptism in the Spirit is not a sacrament, but it is related to the sacraments of Christian initiation. The Baptism in the Spirit makes real and in a way renews Christian initiation. The primary relationship is with the sacrament of Baptism.

We believe that the Baptism in the Spirit makes real and revitalizes our Baptism. To understand how a sacrament which was received so many years ago, usually immediately after our birth, could suddenly come back to life and emanate so much energy, as often happens through the Baptism in the Spirit, it is important to look at our understanding of sacramental theology.

Catholic theology recognizes the concept of a valid but bound sacrament. A sacrament is called bound if the fruit that should accompany it remains bound because of certain blocks that prevent its effectiveness. Extreme examples of this are the sacrament of Matrimony and Holy Orders received in the state of mortal sin. In such circumstances these sacraments cannot grant any grace to people until the obstacle of sin is removed through Penance. Once this happens, the sacrament is said to live again, thanks to the indelible character and irrevocability of the gift of God. God remains faithful even if we are unfaithful because He cannot deny Himself (see Tim. 2:1-3)."
 
No it wasn’t. It was an intervention to a suicide attempt. That there in lay the choice I was given. I chose the Lord to help me out. He did so before I finish the sentence, “God help me”. Samson
Wow, thanks for sharing that. Praise God!
 
Thank you, Neil Anthony. So if someone has been baptized and they go to Confession does that bring back the gifts? Or is there some other way to renew the Grace?
 
Wow, thanks for sharing that. Praise God!
Yes, it was the Lord’s doing. I was not fit for the experience and still think it was more for my wife and kids sake. After something like that, you tend to try and live up to it, but that is impossible. It doesn’t make the road any easier, just different. I guess that is why I never became charismatic. I feel more accountable now, KWIM?. Samson
 
Thank you, Neil Anthony. So if someone has been baptized and they go to Confession does that bring back the gifts? Or is there some other way to renew the Grace?
Here’s another quote from that web page:
Release and Confirmation of Faith
Its effectiveness in reactivating Baptism consists in this: Finally man contributed his part–namely, he makes a choice of faith, prepared in repentance, that allows the work of God to set itself free and to emanate all its strength. It is as if the light is switched on. The gift of God is finally “unbound”, and the Spirit is allowed to flow like a fragrance in the Christian life.
In addition to the renewal of the grace of Baptism, the Baptism in the Spirit is also a confirmation of one’s own Baptism, a deliberate “yes” to it, to its fruit and its commitments. As such, it is also similar to Confirmation. Confirmation is the sacrament that develops, confirms and brings to completion the work of Baptism.
This happened for me at a retreat. Confession was part of the retreat but I had been to confession before and hadn’t experienced baptism in the spirit. In my case I had interior visions (including a vision of Christ healing me) that were very emotionally moving and experienced a profound sense of being mystically connected with the other members of the church.
 
Thank you, Neil Anthony. So if someone has been baptized and they go to Confession does that bring back the gifts? Or is there some other way to renew the Grace?
If one is outside a state of grace, Confession is the only way given to us of restoring it.

The “baptism of the Holy Spirit” refers to the initial reception of extraordinary gifts the Holy Spirit gives to those He chooses for them. They are given for a time and a purpose (e.g. the Apostles speaking in tongues so they could spread the Gospel - some receive the same gift even today for similar purpose).

These gifts are not to be confused with the Gifts of the Holy Spirit (wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord) which are given to all believers.
 
I had an experience which is somewhat like the descriptions of Baptism in the Holy Spirit, as described in this thread. It was not part of a retreat, no one prayed over me and I did not faint or fall backwards or whatever is supposed to happen to you. It was something profound but completely interior. Only one other person realised what was going on. To the rest of the world, I didn’t look or act any different. So I dunno whether that was actual Baptism in the Holy Spirit… 🤷
 
I went through the Charismatic Renewal and was involved for about ten years. Went to about 7 or 8 conferences at Notre Dame. And I have no doubt that I am a better person because of it.

I miss it and would love to join a group if I knew of one.
 
Yes I did. But emotional states whane after a while. Nothing to hang on to. Faith in the total freedom that Jesus grants me is another matter. Much more solid.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top