“Plenty of queens in this deck!”

• Thread starter Thread starter SILVERNAME
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SILVERNAME

Most Holy Redeemer rents parish hall to homosexual bridge club

In October 2006, the Archdiocese of San Francisco ordered “gay-friendly” Most Holy Redeemer parish to stop leasing its parish hall to the infamous Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence for their monthly bingo games. But it didn’t take long for the parish to find a replacement, according to the Bay Area Reporter.

The newspaper, which describes itself as “serving the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender communities since 1971,” reported in its Jan. 31 “Out There” column that a homosexual bridge club called “QuickTricks” is now using Most Holy Redeemer’s parish hall for weekly card games.

The QuickTricks Bridge Club “first met in 1978 at a Gay Pride Center on Grove St., but soon found a home at the Castro’s MCC on Eureka St., meeting there twice a week until that building’s unexpected closure in 2006,” reported “Out There” columnist Roberto Friedman.

calcatholic.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?id=1905ca4f-0030-47a8-9759-f8925899a401

Will it never end? Based on this and numerous other accounts, this parish is clearly not Catholic. It may appear on official records, but it is in an open state of schism and heresy. The Archdiocese of San Francisco has been the cause of far too many scandals for the Church Universal. I pray that the Lord will have mercy.

Good for them, it is just a card game being rented out in the basement of the church. They are not discriminating against them by refusing them space. They are people too. Nothing in Church teachings says ban them from Church premises based on their sexual orientation.

Would the Church willfully endorse a group of swingers that wanted to rent out the basement? No. This is ridiculous. They shouldn’t be accepting of immoral activity.

Would the Church willfully endorse a group of swingers that wanted to rent out the basement? No. This is ridiculous. They shouldn’t be accepting of immoral activity.
They are just playing cards. 🤷

Any “immoral activity” here would be card counting at worst. :rolleyes:

NewUlm, they may only be playing cards, but the idea of the whole thing is unseemly, I believe. I think its scandulous…

NewUlm, they may only be playing cards, but the idea of the whole thing is unseemly, I believe. I think its scandulous…
It is not scandalous. It is not even against the latest USCCB statement on treating people with same-gender preferences. They have same-gender preferences, it is who they are. They are playing cards, no more. 🤷 Anything else is discrimination against people based on their differences (same-gender preference in this case).

the idea of the whole thing is unseemly, I believe. I think its scandulous…
:confused:

Could you explain why you think so? I am puzzled over why a bridge club would be controversial. True, most of the members of the club probably are homosexual, but then most of the residents in that part of the city are homosexual.

They have same-gender preferences, it is who they are.
If that is who they are, then, in logical terms, they define themselves by a nonreproductive sex act.

Existentially speaking, if you define yourself by a nonreproductive sex act, you are literally a useless @#$%.

It is not who they are, anymore than my anxiety disorders are who I am.

Would the parish rent the hall out to play bridge to a KKK group? If not why is it okay for a Pro Sodomite group then?

Would the parish rent the hall out to play bridge to a KKK group? If not why is it okay for a Pro Sodomite group then?
The KKK is a hate group. They beat up and murder people. I suspect the bridge club isn’t involved in such activities.

What do you mean by a “pro-sodomite” group?

Exactly. The Church has to have a higher standard. I understand the posters here who are being very politically correct in saying “they’re just playing cards”, or the “parish isn’t discriminating”…but you are applying secular reasoning to your thinking. I think parishes have a responsibility to not only uphold Catholic beliefs but to be VISIBLE in upholding those beliefs (a light on a hill) by shying away from supporting activities and groups that could cause people confusion on what the Catholic Church stands for.

Even IF this card group is doing nothing scandalous - which, to be honest, I doubt given the nature of this parish and its surroundings - it gives the wrong impression. And, as far as"'they are only playing cards", you can’t tell me that the conversations don’t, at times, include comments that would go against Church teaching. Even something as simple as “what are you going to do this weekend” can be filled with discussions on activities that the Church doesn’t support.

This is wrong. Why is nothing being done to reprimand this parish and make it Catholic again or close it down?

Exactly. The Church has to have a higher standard. I understand the posters here who are being very politically correct in saying “they’re just playing cards”, or the “parish isn’t discriminating”…but you are applying secular reasoning to your thinking. I think parishes have a responsibility to not only uphold Catholic beliefs but to be VISIBLE in upholding those beliefs (a light on a hill) by shying away from supporting activities and groups that could cause people confusion on what the Catholic Church stands for.

Even IF this card group is doing nothing scandalous - which, to be honest, I doubt given the nature of this parish and its surroundings - it gives the wrong impression. And, as far as"'they are only playing cards", you can’t tell me that the conversations don’t, at times, include comments that would go against Church teaching. Even something as simple as “what are you going to do this weekend” can be filled with discussions on activities that the Church doesn’t support.

This is wrong. Why is nothing being done to reprimand this parish and make it Catholic again or close it down?
Look at the USCCB statement on how to treat those with same-gender sexual preferences. It says to treat them with loving compassion. I mean it when they are just playing cards.

How is a game of bridge going to confuse people? 🤷 Should they be playing Texas Hold’em Poker? Gin? 500? Hearts instead?

All of us have conversations from time to time which would be “outside Church teaching”. That means none of us are worthy enough to rent out the basement of any parish in the country.

This is not “secular reasoning”, it is compassion towards others. Otherwise you seem to be inferring it is in Catholic Teachings to look down on them as a lesser people not worthy for anything.

I can understand those who say it’s just card playing (though back in my day that was bad enough!) But were the parish to allow the openly homosexual group to utilize their facilities, they would, in some warped way, be condoning homosexuality. Which is something it ought not do, as the parish represents the Dioces, represents the Church. And since the Church doens’t condone the behavoir and ideals advocated by the group, the parsih can’t let them in.

There is more to our Church than a mere buisness! It is a moral insitution, (words fail me at the glory of the Church) It simply cannot comprimise the integrity of the Church by allowing this group to play their cards.

Playing cards on Church property, that’s scandelous enough, I should say!

I can understand those who say it’s just card playing (though back in my day that was bad enough!) But were the parish to allow the openly homosexual group to utilize their facilities, they would, in some warped way, be condoning homosexuality. Which is something it ought not do, as the parish represents the Dioces, represents the Church. And since the Church doens’t condone the behavoir and ideals advocated by the group, the parsih can’t let them in.

There is more to our Church than a mere buisness! It is a moral insitution, (words fail me at the glory of the Church) It simply cannot comprimise the integrity of the Church by allowing this group to play their cards.

Playing cards on Church property, that’s scandelous enough, I should say!
If they are an openly homosexual group I would agree with you.

If they are not then…GULP…I’d agree with NewUm:eek:

If this was a bridge club that happened to consist of mainly homosexual members, I think it would be discrimination. But as the group has labeled themselves as a group for HOMOSEXUAL bridge-players, then the parish should refuse them.
This is just mild speculation, but I would guess that the bridge-playing would be a way for homosexuals to meet one another, and set up later dates for… other… activities.

I presume that you don’t find anything wrong with the gay lifestyle. But since gay sex is sinful, it is not different than having a bridge club of child abusers or burglars meeting in the parish hall of a church.
Look at the USCCB statement on how to treat those with same-gender sexual preferences. It says to treat them with loving compassion. I mean it when they are just playing cards.

How is a game of bridge going to confuse people? 🤷 Should they be playing Texas Hold’em Poker? Gin? 500? Hearts instead?

All of us have conversations from time to time which would be “outside Church teaching”. That means none of us are worthy enough to rent out the basement of any parish in the country.

This is not “secular reasoning”, it is compassion towards others. Otherwise you seem to be inferring it is in Catholic Teachings to look down on them as a lesser people not worthy for anything.

The QuickTricks Bridge Club “first met in 1978 at a Gay Pride Center on Grove St., but soon found a home at the Castro’s MCC on Eureka St., meeting there twice a week until that building’s unexpected closure in 2006,” reported “Out There” columnist Roberto Friedman.
“One year ago, QuickTricks found a new home in Ellard Hall at Most Holy Redeemer Church at the corner of 18th and Diamond,” Friedman’s Jan. 31 column continued. “Two separate sections of duplicate bridge, one limited and one open, are offered Monday nights at 7 p.m. Plenty of queens in this deck!”
Gay Pride Center? Does that mean these individuals are in concert with Catholic teaching or against it?

Good for them, it is just a card game being rented out in the basement of the church. They are not discriminating against them by refusing them space. They are people too. Nothing in Church teachings says ban them from Church premises based on their sexual orientation.
But why would a Catholic group call itself “QuickTricks”? It sounds like a euphamism to me. The parish could at least ask them to rethink the name, for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back