Yes that is kind of what you said.
But you also said, that if they don’t do it your way, that the kids CAN’T stay with you. Oh and that the parents are being abusive. Or at least “almost abusive.”
The OP is in no way obligated to agree to keep other people’s children/teenagers for the holidays.
They have every right to say “No, they can’t stay with us.”
They probably should have said “No” from the get-go, if they knew about this “arrested development” thing. It is unfortunate if the OP has agreed to keep the boy and girl, and now they may have to go back and say, “We apologize for the inconvenience to you, but it won’t work out after all. They can’t stay with us because we don’t feel comfortable supporting older children in their belief of fairy tales.”
Yes, that does put the family in an awkward position of having to find another option for their child care over the holidays. But it’s early yet–not even Halloween. There’s plenty of time to look for another caregiver.
And I still stand by my statement that this is “almost abuse.”
Deliberately arresting a child’s normal development is abusive.
It’s OK and lots of fun and very healthy to pretend and play games with little children, and to continue to play these games as part of family tradition even after the children are grown up.
It’s another thing to continue to encourage older children/teenagers to believe that a fairy tale is true, and to expect others be complicit with you in this.
I’m feeling more and more like a freak on this board. I can’t believe that grown ups, adults, parents, would think it’s perfectly OK for older children/teenagers to believe in Santa Claus (the North Pole Santa, not the Catholic saint). Wow.
I think some of you are trying too hard to be counter-cultural. I agree that Christian parents should be counter-cultural when it comes to monitoring children’s TV viewing, or limiting their time on a cell phone, or insisting that they wear clothes that cover all the sexy parts. But to insist that it’s OK for older children/teenagers to believe in Santa–that’s not counter-cultural, that’s just kind of weird. St. Paul says that “when I became a man, I put away childish things.”
Yes, I know, the children in the OP are not “men” yet, but they are growing up into adults, and it’s time that they start learning how to put away the childish things. No one is saying that they have to abandon Santa–good heavens no! Keep the jolly old fellow around for the holidays and have fun with him! But he’s not real. and older children should be treated with dignity and taught (gently) that he’s not real, not treated like babies and told that “Yes, he’s real, and don’t let any mean cats tell you otherwise.”